Forums Latest Members

Rolex vs Tudor value bang for buck

1. Z900rsdude Jun 1, 2021

Morning All

Apart from the obvious and Snob value, in essence, what do you guys think about a Steel Rolex Submariner vs a Tudor Black Bay 58 or Pelagos?
    The fiscal value of the watch and quality and accuracy?
    The brand supply constraints that cause the disgusting grey/selling on of brand new Rolex’s at up to £5k above rrp is obscene and surely doesn’t warrant it. I know everyone says but they hold/appreciate in value BUT if you pay £11k for a brand new Sub but only £3k or £4K for a Tudor Black Bay it Pelagos, you’re quids in!!
    What’s your take on this??

2. Donn Chambers Jun 1, 2021

My take is a Seamaster Pro is better than either and about the same price as a Tudor, so you’re better off with it. :)

3. Z900rsdude Jun 1, 2021

Yes I prefer Omega myself but interested re Tudor vs Rolex scanario as price variance is ridiculous Sub vs Pelagos/Black Bay, and I really can’t see any advantages apart from the “Want a Rolex” thing‍♂️

4. mjb Jun 1, 2021

I don't know what "quids in" means. :eek: I guess it's good. :)

So... I've had them all. Submariner, Seamaster Pro and Tudor. The only one on my wrist right now is the Tudor BB 58. Of the three, the only one I still own is the Tudor.

tudor 2.jpg

I find that at $3800 (current USA MSRP/RRP) it is a bargain compared to a new Omega or Rolex. The quality is equal to either of those, in fit and finish, and the accuracy seems quite good although I haven't timed it, it hasn't been off enough (like my last Omega was) that I had to reset it.

Supply/demand for the Rolex, any Rolex, I concur, is obscene.

Yes, you could buy a new Submariner, wear it for a few years, and likely sell it for close to what you paid. But you are also spending somewhere around $9000US for that privilege. You could instead buy one or two new Tudors (or Omegas) and enjoy them. True, they may likely depreciate (I can guarantee that the Omega will) but that's really the normal thing. The Rolex market is not normal.

Also, you can walk into a store and actually buy a Tudor or Omega today, at or below RRP/MSRP. Not true with most Rolex models.

And yes, the market shows no signs of abating, but in all likelihood, at some point, it will, and if you were one of the crazy people who spent $25,000 on a stainless steel watch that retails new for less than half of that, well, you better like that watch a lot.

blufinz52, jaguar11 and Z900rsdude like this.
  5. Z900rsdude Jun 1, 2021

That’s a really good unbiased set of comments and my thoughts exactly. “Quids in ” means what you get for your money is much better. I’ve never had a Tudor but love the BB58 and Pelagos but Titanium doesn’t do it for me so the Pelagos would lose out over the BB58.
    Quality of bracelet/case etc is nicer on Omega’s over the Rolex too imho. I would imagine your BB58 to be as or near as accurate to a Sub as it’s a certified Chronometer. My 1970’s Seamaster 1861 holds better time than my 2019 Speedmaster Pro lol!! But I love both. My next buy will probably be the BB58 with Ceramic bezel or a BB 925 silver cased model.
    Thanks for your comments

6. jaguar11 Jun 1, 2021

Nice watch you have there and as you say they look great and are very good value for money!

7. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jun 1, 2021

Being "quids in" is British for a scenario that provides you with significant financial benefit

Kik_Kat_Kish and Z900rsdude like this.
  8. mbeast Jun 1, 2021

Tudor offers great value to those who appreciate a watch for what it is, rather than the name on the dial.

A large % of those chasing Rolexes won't consider anything that's not a Rolex, so value consideration simply doesn't apply. That's how prices have got so out of control.

Z900rsdude likes this.
  9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 4, 2021

I had most Rolex models in my hand over the last 40 years. Bought a lot. Sold them all. Kept just one mil sub. And a few for trading like PCG gloss/ gilt sub. Kept more Tudors. Have still a Big Block chrono and Big Crown sub. My every day watch in the moment is a Tudor Pelagos left crown. Unbeatable in value , appearance, toolwatch dedication extremly accurate.

Z900rsdude, Dsloan and jaguar11 like this.
  10. Caliber561 Jun 4, 2021

If Tudor ever makes a slimmer Pelagos, I'll probably pick one up. The main reason I've been avoiding the Black Bay 58 series is that the movement is incredibly undersized for the watch.

Tudor-caliber-MT5400.jpg

It reminds me of the 215PS in the Calatrava 5196, which also has a hilariously small movement for the watch, with the exception of actually having a decent finish.
    337410-8f3a3477ad60ecbf899a26fa68d43b09.jpg

As far as I know, there isn't a particularly bad thing about small movements, aside from the smaller balance wheel, but it just feels kind of lazy.

Z900rsdude likes this.
  11. berrychlossom Jun 4, 2021

If you really want to take the Snob value out and you care about practicality and accuracy I definitely recommend Casio, even better an Apple watch.
    I'm not even saying it sarcastically.

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 4, 2021

The only thing we are not taking (thus far) into account here is the actual watch you want over the one that is the best purchase. Of course value versus quality you're better off with the SeaMaster or Tudor....but are you getting the watch you want or settling for the one that makes the most sense?

If it is the watch you want, then there is no argument to start with. i.e "I want a Tudor because I like it better" if it is "I really want a submariner but it makes no sense to me at it's overblown price and lack of availability so I'm trying to get the next best thing" Then, sure, it makes sense, but you're not getting what you want. Period.

More-over, where does the sliding effect end? Because you can then argue a Seiko or a Casio Shock is a better buy than either of the above. Or a multitude of other very affordable and reliable watches but.....maybe that's not what you want?

Seeing it another way. If I place the SeaMaster, the Tudor and the Sub in a table and sell them at the same exact price to you. Which one would you get? "That's" your choice, that's the one "you want". If you end up with anything else than the one you would pic then you are not getting what you want. Simple. You're smart though, sensible and responsible. Nothing wrong with evaluating all factors into your purchase. But, don't justify your choice by trying to be-little the alternative, just be happy with your own process.

I have Omega, Tudor and Rolex watches and I like them all. That's why I have them. Whenever I have chosen the lesser of two evils I have regretted it and ended up flipping it and getting the one I wanted later.

Of all my Rolex watches I have grossly overpaid for only one. I find the fact that we (my wife and I as she wanted me to get it for my 50th birthday) paid what we paid for the yellow OP is just stupid. It makes no sense. None. AND I was lucky to only pay what I did compared to others. But I love the watch and I love wearing it and I'm happy with it. On the other hand I have made absurd profit selling some of my other vintage Rolex the last few years so I am not running a loss within my collection.

But darn I could have bought 4 tudors, 6 Omegas, 12 Seiko and over 60 Casios for the price....the question is: Would I enjoy those watches over what I really wanted? No.

Edited Jun 4, 2021
  13. Dan S Jun 4, 2021

G-Shock is very good bang for buck. Accurate, bulletproof, great depth rating, lots of useful features. :thumbsup:

g-shock2.jpeg

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 4, 2021

That's right. Why would you ever spend more than a couple of hundred dollars for any watch that cannot do half of what the G-Shock can?. That is, of course, if sensible buying is the driver.

Mouse_at_Large, Paedipod and Dsloan like this.
  15. Z900rsdude Jun 4, 2021

Very True and in reality it’s what we all do if we can afford to.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  16. jhross98 Jun 4, 2021

Today if grey market there is zero overlap between tudor and rolex. Zero. I cant really see anyone considering say a 36mm black bay then also looking at a 36mm op at 8k.

At msrp I think its a very different discussion and i think several modern rolex represent outstanding value for money even if at higher price points than the equivalent tudor.

Nobel Prize and Axel Brass like this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 4, 2021

Well now you know at least one (me). And I actually ended up paying extra for the OP. Why? Because I wanted the OP, and the others I was looking at where financially better choices but I didn't want them as much.

Z900rsdude, Axel Brass and blufinz52 like this.
  18. Jkbenn02 Jun 4, 2021

The Rolex Submariner is one of the best Rolex watches to buy and could also be considered as one of the best Rolex watches to invest in.

Z900rsdude and Axel Brass like this.
  19. Huus Jun 4, 2021

As I own a 14060 (bought before the surge in pricing) at the moment, I would not consider the BB58 over the Sub. as an alternative. Not even for "quids in".
    But if I had to make the choice today between a new Sub (anything later of 14060M) or the BB58 it 'd be the Tudor.
    Only, as I do not think the Rolex Maxi cases ::puke:: to be attractive at all.

ikanbilisclub and Z900rsdude like this.
  20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 4, 2021

I have to say, I have a 14060M and I absolutely love it. The pinholes, the size and balance. It truly is the last of its kind. The only maxi case I have on subs is the Hulk and I like it too, but I do admit for a sub the maxi case is a bit much. I do have yet to see the new 41 cases in the flesh. I do like the overall aesthetic over the maxi case though.