Forums Latest Members

Rolex SS Daytona After 7 years

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 6, 2017

Why does this cause you so much angst that you have to wear out your exclamation point key?

!

Cheers, Al

Scarecrow Boat, Flingit1200s and Jwit like this.
  2. Canuck Feb 6, 2017

Just to get your goat!!!!!:D

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 6, 2017

This is all I see when I read your posts...

4. Canuck Feb 6, 2017

You pay FAR AND AWAY too much attention to my posts. You flatter me, actually! Save yourself the aggravation!

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 6, 2017

Okay ;)

apsm100, Rtboy10, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  6. rcs914 Feb 6, 2017

It's an accident... but maybe don't wear your half a million dollar watch while you are fishing?

greenecollector likes this.
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 6, 2017

And then you will slip on the street while coming back from buying groceries....so don't go buy groceries or cross the street with a half a million dollar watch....and then while you're home the dog or cat will take it because it's shinny and smelly....so don't have a half a million dollar watch if you have pets....and then your kid will drop it....so don't have a kid if you have a million dollar watch!!! (I change the order there because fuck the damn kid!)

marco, STANDY and Davidt like this.
  8. Diverdown Feb 6, 2017

I like the 'earned age' look time and activity takes on watches. I wouldn't polish the case or bezel.
    Makes me wonder how the ceramic bezels/watches will age after years. I know they're not supposed to change and all, but still - in 20yrs, we'll sea

Jwit likes this.
  9. adi4 Feb 6, 2017

Probably like vintage Rado's do. A lot of their cases look pristine and untouched.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 7, 2017

Wear my speedmaster fishing all the time.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 7, 2017

image.gif

Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. Speedmasterfan88 Feb 7, 2017

I don't know why, but I don't mind some wear and tear on a SS Daytona as much as I do on other watches. The polished SS bezel almost looks to me as if it was made to be scratched up a bit. Ever more so, everytime I see someone with a perfectly shiney SS Daytona I wonder if they wear the watch more than once a month.

Good for your Brother that he enjoys the heck out of his watch! I agree that a little cleaning here and there wouldn't hurt thou ;).

Meme-Dweller likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 23, 2021

I was posting this in another thread but I figured I’d update this thread too, so yet again my brother has sent a Daytona 116520 in for service, only this time I think it may be close to a record in terms of the bill.

$5750 AUD, including the optional items (case back and bracelet, both of which were very much needed). They insisted on taking the cream dial off of it which is rather unfortunate as it looked amazing but surprisingly they were willing to return it with a bracelet that has some links holding together by less metal than the gold capping on vintage Omegas.

Will be getting it back in about 2 weeks hopefully looking very new given the pricetag, which is actually about what he paid for it originally.

B1A4DE91-EBDF-4391-8338-D34750DA9796.jpeg

14. Widows Son Jan 23, 2021

Yikes!!!! When I read the first few posts and heard about the bracelet, I thought to myself that there was no way it wouldn't have to be replaced, or at least sent out to be overhauled. And the initial low price for service?? I thought no way!!! Turns out I was right. I guess if you have a huge amount of disposible income, beating an expensive object is no biggie. For some a $10,000 Rolex is no different than a $100.00 Seiko 5. I slow down for railroad tracks when driving my A6, not because it can't take it, but because I don't feel like paying for an unneccesary 4 wheel aligniment or new wheel bearings. When I'm wrenching on my Harley or antique car, I'll take my expensive watches off. If my hand slips off a ratchet and I put the end of a bolt through the crystal and dial of a vintage Rolex, what did I prove?? The cost of the repair could have been invested. My everyday watch is usually a 14000 Airking. Once a week or so it gets dunked in the sink and scrubbed with a toothbrush and scrubbing bubbles. I sent it out for service a few years ago and all it needed was the full movement service. Bracelet, clasp, and case were fine didn't even require a polish. I don't enjoy my watches any less because I don't trash them.

apsm100 likes this.
  15. cvalue13 Jan 23, 2021

You say “a” Daytona, but is this “the” Daytona?

admit I didn’t read the entire thread’s middle to know if there was a huge plot point I’m missing

16. apsm100 applysome! Jan 23, 2021

A thread spanning 9 years of a watches history, OF is so cool...

Also, if it were me, I'd spring for a new mid-case too at that price point.

Rumar89, Scarecrow Boat and Gui13250 like this.
  17. RI Omega Fan Jan 23, 2021

This is a fascinating thread, very enjoyable, but I’m a bit confused.

Following this forum for the past couple years I’ve read countless threads about the desirability of patina and the horrors of polishing. We have all read them: “Don’t you dare send it in to Omega - they’ll polish it!”, or “That watch is a worthless POS - it’s over polished!” or “This watch has never been polished - it has razor-sharp lugs”, etc.

Yet this watch is sent in to Rolex and gets polished all to hell and everyone thinks it looks great. I agree with cleaning up gross cigarette grunge, but what happened to letting the nicks and scratches tell the life story of the watch?

Edited Jan 23, 2021
    Evitzee and YY77 like this.
  18. Evitzee Jan 23, 2021

Good point, it seems it is 'Scratches for thee, but not for me'.

19. roseskunk Jan 23, 2021

Wow, what a whirlwind thread. Interesting ideas too. "I love my watch and therefore never take it off!" "I love my watch and don't want to get it scratched, so it sits in the safe." "I love my watch and wear it carefully, and if I'd doing something that might damage it, I take it off."
    I'm of a mind that watches are meant to be used, but I hardly have the money to abuse them. I'm also interested in the idea that after five or seven years the movement stopped working. My Speedy is at least 25 years old and has had one service when the mainspring broke- yet it would still run.

I really love that watch but I respect it as well. A 15k (or whatever these go for now) watch just isn't a tool watch to me.

20. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Jan 23, 2021

Love this thread. I've had my Daytona just over a year and I don't have the kahoonas to wear it like your brother. I added a pretty big scratch to the clasp after some beers while sailing. One day I hope to be able to wear it like him

20210123_161334.jpg

20210123_161326.jpg