Forums Latest Members

Rolex SS Daytona After 7 years

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 23, 2021

No this is his other Daytona he had a white and a black and alternates between them, so really both watches have had half the abuse you would expect them to as they share the pain.

MTROIS, Davidt and cvalue13 like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 23, 2021

It's because it's a modern watch, mass produced and will never really be rare. Vintage pieces that have few survivors and are 40+ years old are a different story from a 2000s watch bought at the height of the Daytona craze

cvalue13 likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 23, 2021

Think @dsio s brother shows what a normal person that it is just a watch to does, not what us weirdos think or do.

There are plenty of @dsio brothers in the world that service a watch like a car......

MTROIS and Davidt like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 23, 2021

Mate don’t even get me started on his cars, he briefly went the Range Rover route in the early 2000s but drove it the way Range Rover likes to pretend they intend their cars to be used, and they don’t stand up to it, kids, dogs, bush bashing and sand dunes.

Then he went for a crew cab Hilux diesel and it didn’t stand up to it that much better, the Nissan Patrol V8 struggled, and now the Ranger Raptor is getting put through its paces.

If you're a bar / restaurant owner for real and not some celebrity chef that pretends to be one, you need to be up at 5AM checking for lost property left behind before the cleaners take it, taking stock, receiving deliveries of produce, counting the take, and you're handling logistics like restocking the booze before the lunch session.

That means he'll go to his supplier and spend a few thousand on beer, wine, spirits and whatever else, packing the car until the suspension sags then heading back to unload and get it all on the shelves. Cases of beer are like 14kg, wine isn't much less and kegs are 80KG, metal, and roll around on you so even if a ute or SUV claims to be a 1 tonne it isn't really designed to carry that every day and then go dune hopping on the weekend.

It sounds like a cushy job but if you're working in the business and doing the background work yourself to ensure it gets done right its a bloody hard way to make a living, 364 days a year with only christmas day off. He's been going for 17 years now though in an industry where businesses don't last more than 5 on average though so he's good at what he does and there's an expectation of a bit of style and glamour that comes along with the role and the Daytona fits that quite well, its just that most people don't realise how much dirt is under his fingernails every morning from the 7 hours before they open for lunch.

5. Walrus Jan 24, 2021

Well that was a cool read. Respect for that Dayton

6. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jan 24, 2021

Maybe post this thread on TRF. A Daytona being worn should raise some eyebrows :D:D Great thread and “great” price for the last service :eek: Holy potatoes

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2021

Yea I think a lot of people would think its cool and a lot would be worried about the harm done to its resale value but he’s happy and gotten his money’s worth out of both of them.

MTROIS and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  8. Davidt Jan 24, 2021

I get it.

I don’t get the outrage at someone wearing their watch how they see fit. I understand the “if I’m stripping a gearbox or building a dry stone wall on a weekend I’d take it off” but if the wear isn’t occurring during random one off tasks or on a weekend but during your working and personal life, then what - you shouldn’t wear a nice watch?! Rubbish.

EauTerre likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 24, 2021

Tell him to get a V8 turbo diesel Landcruiser Ute. Problems solved.
    CB773259-10E9-49F5-9C12-4E0AE7B4443C.jpeg

Living in the NT I know the type of car owners that think just because their car has a snorkel they can drive across rivers. You can tell when you see side steps on a Hilux it’s not a car that’s made for clearance.
    Most fishermen up here have spent so much on a car that you don’t see that offers them the affordability to go remote.

Always fun to see a Range Rover bogged or broken down on a dirt road that = a $1000 minimum tow truck call out from Darwin.

Work spends nearly $30K on a troopy after buying the top of the range.

MTROIS, Scarecrow Boat and Eve like this.
  10. profzhu Jan 25, 2021

Thanks for the good read. I really can't stand the new trend where people are taping up their watches like putting on screen protector for their phones

Davidt likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 26, 2021

Now over 5 months on this repair and still no update from RSC Melbourne, even by their particularly poor standards this is getting a bit frustrating. :(

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 26, 2021

Well, I can't speak for them, but I do know supply chains are MUCH slower than normal still when it comes to getting parts from Switzerland, at least for Omega. I doubt that it would be any better for Rolex. Still for a factory repair, I agree that's a pretty long time for this level of watch. For PP you know you are only 1/3 to 1/2 way through your wait!

13. pdxleaf ... Jun 26, 2021

@dsio, I came for the SS Daytona but stayed for the truck!

This is the kind of thread creep that makes this forum awesome. I'm a Lexus GX470 guy, which is Rolex compared to @STANDY 's Cruiser, being the Omega. But that is an amazing setup! Respect.

More truck pictures please. Preferably stacked with cases of beer and wine to test it's potential.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 26, 2021

Lexus GX470 Is more like a Grand Seiko :D:D

MTROIS likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 26, 2021

That is the way a Rolex is supposed to be worn. Looking forward to the post spa pictures.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  16. pdxleaf ... Jun 26, 2021

Mods, can't find the UNLIKE link. Please advise.

EDIT: I take it back. Grand Seiko works. :thumbsup: