Forums Latest Members

Rolex SS Daytona After 7 years

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2017

Keeping good time still just about due and aesthetically very poor, and the clasp isn't snapping shut anymore it's being held by just the locking piece so it wasn't really safe to keep wearing.

Jwit likes this.
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 20, 2017

A lesser watch would have gone to its grave long ago. This is one of those few tool watches that get to fulfill their intended purpose :)

Jwit likes this.
  3. WatchVaultNYC Jan 20, 2017

I love the beat up look. Which now is making me consider a Daytona..

Syrte and Jwit like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2017

I actually don't mind it in a way either, its sort of like when you see a Range Rover with mud rooster tails down the side and foliage hanging out of the grill, you know its actually been used for its intended purpose rather than just the school run.

Rtboy10, Larry S, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  5. SeanO Jan 21, 2017

Two thumbs up for the unrestricted enthusiasm displayed by your brother for his watch.

dsio likes this.
  6. Ramone Jan 23, 2017

This is the reason why the watch shouldn't have been polished in the first place. IMO of course. Now you're at the same point again...with less 'metal' (most importantly case and bezel) to work with. It looked fine as an unpolished but (heavily) used example.

apsm100 likes this.
  7. U5512 Jan 25, 2017

My SS Zenith Daytona 16520 is NO safe queen....
    [​IMG]

Rodmar, duc, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  8. duc Jan 26, 2017

Its a great example of durability, but I have one small suggestion for your brother, for the next time around. Keep a soft toothbrush in the shower and use it to clean the watch periodically, to reduce and hopefully eliminate the smell. There is no honor in a smelly watch. All the rest, yes; but not for the smelliness.::rant:

9. brunik Jan 26, 2017

Great watch you have there... i have the same but more "used" lets call like that...

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2017

Well, the Daytona bill turned out to be a little bit more than last time. $2,880 total including a new bezel as the old one is out of round, one replacement pusher as its bent and no longer water resistant, new crown as its bent and no longer water resistant, half of the links replaced on the bracelet as they're worn too thin to re-use, new crystal as its cracked and no longer water resistant, new oscillating weight as its bent from an impact and rubbing & miscellaneous movement parts that were damaged by the rotor.

The good news is the dial, hands and case are still usable as is most of the movement though :thumbsup:

Due to the bill however the Daytona is being discharged from active duty in favour of a TAG Heuer F1 quartz, and will only serve on special occasions from now on.

Eve, Badwolf, semper_shells and 2 others like this.
  11. SeanO Jan 30, 2017

dayum....

Greatpa likes this.
  12. ncstate1201 Feb 4, 2017

Wow that is quite the bill. I normally don't send a Rolex to rsc, but in this case the watch was due for a huge bill... if the watch gets that much wear and is that smelly I think I would invest in an ultrasonic cleaner. I am not advocating babying the watch, but this kind of grime and wear on the bracelet in that time period and considering how long one of these watches should last. He will be throwing it on a replacement in no time. The dirt will wear the links too much, the small ultrasonic cleaner investment will save you from buying a new bracelet soon..

13. Canuck Feb 4, 2017

A number of followers of this thread were quite disparaging of my comment that this Daytona was receiving wear beyond reasonable limits. Read this particular synopsis of what was necessary to repair the damage! I rest my case!

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 4, 2017

Well in fairness, people make out that Rolexes are suitable for use in areas like the military, this one was unable to suffer being worn by a guy who quite literally talks to patrons and drinks beer for a living in a bar :)

jedical likes this.
  15. Canuck Feb 4, 2017

Some folks USE watches, and some folks ABUSE them! Talking to patrons and drinking beer in a bar account for maybe 1/3 of his activity, I suppose. Another 1/3 for sleeping, eating, etc. I that leaves about 1/3 of his life for doing whatever he is doing when he abuses his Rolex! Sounds like he may have learned from the experience! It is, after all, his watch to do with as he wishes! I guess!

Edited Feb 4, 2017
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 4, 2017

Some people put a watch on their wrist and live life. Not everyone is like most here.
    With all your experience of looking at watches over the years you would have to of seen the percentage of people that don't think of their watch no matter what they are doing.

Have a fishing mate that's a bricklayer and wears a Brietling every day should I tell him not too?

Rodmar and Jwit like this.
  17. Canuck Feb 4, 2017

Ask him if he wears his $1,000.00 silk suit when he goes fishing, or laying bricks! Or driving his treasured automobile in a demolition derby! Jeez!

I figure it has cost him ~ $4,000.00 (Aus. ?) to learn how NOT to wear his Daytona. Must be nice to be able to afford the expense!

Edited Feb 4, 2017
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 4, 2017

Takes a $65,000 boat fishing everytime, has hit a log that cost him 4K to fix the outboard leg. But shit happens

Jwit likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 5, 2017

Its not $4000, I mentioned the price previously and it only works out to under $50/month which isn't the end of the world. To put it in perspective before he quit smoking he was spending that on Benson & Hedges every day, not every month, and it wasn't making him as happy as the Daytona does.

Archer likes this.
  20. Flingit1200s Feb 5, 2017

On a watch forum, someones brother put a wristwatch on their wrist, wore it all of the time and enjoyed it. Eventually the watch wore out just like other mechanical things that are used and enjoyed. Someone who makes a living repairing devices suggests that this mechanical device..........oh ffs..........never mind.