Forums Latest Members

Rolex Explorer II Availability

1. JMO1995 Dec 19, 2022

I had an unexpected call last week from a local AD that I put my name down for an Explorer II twelve months ago.

If I’m being honest I didn’t think I’d ever get a call as I have no purchase history with the AD.

After I put my name down I decided that I couldn’t wait an unknown time and decided to get the current hesalite speedy instead as I was between the two watches for a wedding gift to myself.

My slight dilemma now is, I still love the Explorer II but now isn’t the most ideal time for me to shell out the money as I’m getting married in February and we’re paying out for that over the next 6 weeks.

Does anyone know if I turned the watch down, would they allow me to go back down the list or will they just mark you as a time waster and black list you?

I’m going to see it this week so I want to have a firm decision made before I go in of what to do.

P.S I haven’t been keeping up to date with wait times but is the Rolex wait time decreasing / do AD’s now have certain sport watch model in stock or is it still utter madness and if they did put me to the bottom of the list I’d likely be looking at another 12 months wait?

2. marcn Enough space to say witty Dec 19, 2022

I've had some success acquiring new Rolex models at retail in the last couple of years or so. The most important thing I personally do is not burden my salesperson with too much of my internal A vs B vs C type thinking. Make your decision, and make it quick, and be transparent with them so they know you and know how you think. Transparency is key. They totally get that financial situations can change a lot during the waiting period, so address that with them about saying "I literally HATE having to pass but I must... but can I still be in queue for the same piece?"

If you feel reasonably sure you're going to have to pass, but still want to go hands-on with the piece, get in there as quickly as you can so they're not holding it from a sale.

On my wrist today, as a matter of fact. I have to say, it was a watch I had to warm up to, and it now gets a ton of wrist time. If you can stretch to get it, I'd go for it.

IMG_4888 copy.jpg

Dsloan, NGO1 and JMO1995 like this.
  3. JMO1995 Dec 19, 2022

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking honesty is probably the best policy.

I’m very close to pushing the button, SWMBO is even happy for me to purchase it.

I think If I do go with it then I’m going to trail it for a few months and pick what one I prefer and sell the other watch. I currently can’t justify in my head having two watches in this price brackets but maybe that’ll change if I did have both

marcn and RevZMan123 like this.
  4. NGO1 Dec 19, 2022

I hate having to discourage a watch purchase, but you did the right thing here. It’s just jewelry, don’t let it burden your finance going into a marriage.

The Rolex market is softening, you should be able to come back to it in a year.

I expressed interest in a piece and got a call in 3 months. You are fine passing on this.

If I were in your shoes, I’d send the SA a nice lunch/dinner and apologize for passing on a piece I expressed interest in.

Edited Dec 19, 2022
    Dsloan and JMO1995 like this.
  5. Dan S Dec 19, 2022

Speedmaster and Explorer are very different watches and certainly complement each other in a collection. Budget is a separate issue of course, and you are in the best position to know about that. I'm SURE it won't be your last chance to buy one.

MikeMan2727, JwRosenthal and JMO1995 like this.
  6. JMO1995 Dec 19, 2022

Thanks for yours opinions. I’ve had a few days already to digest it so it’s not a knee jerk decision / fear of missing out.

I think if I still love it when I go to look at it then I’ll buy it and then decide if I’ll keep both or sell the one that gets the least wrist time after a trail period.

7. SC1 Dec 19, 2022

Said every watch person while climbing slowly up into multiple watches. :D:cool:

Congratulations on your pending nuptials (and Rolex)!

blueteg likes this.
  8. bananapeanut Dec 19, 2022

Buy first, decide later. That's my motto :)

9. JwRosenthal Dec 19, 2022

If this purchase will impact your ability to freely and comfortably pay for a day that is not just special to you but to someone you love, just stop this line of thinking right now. There will always be another Rolex.

10. chiefenergy Dec 19, 2022

Enjoy your wedding gift. Be respective to the AD. I wouldn't give it another thought.

11. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Dec 19, 2022

Buy it now so that it’s a premarital asset..in case things go sideways down the line (which hopefully they don’t ) :)

12. JMO1995 Dec 20, 2022

We have the money to pay for both and have our emergency fund intact. I think my main struggle is justifying having both watches as that wasn’t the plan.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. blueteg Dec 20, 2022

Buy it, test drive it for a few weeks, and see which one you like the most. Sometimes you need to wear it around for a few days/weeks to really get a feel for the wearability of the watch. It's hard to do that in the store with the bracelet sagging all over the place and the watch only on your wrist for a few seconds. Yes, the Rolex market is softening, but worst case scenario you should still be able to sell it for MSRP (excluding sales tax) in 2-3 weeks. If you decide on keeping the Speedmaster and want to sell the Explorer 2, you might consider selling it to a jewelry store out of state if you have any trips coming up, to decrease the odds that your AD sees posted locally by you, or in a few months by the buyer if they are also local to you. Or selling it locally without the card (which will ding the resale value a bit more).

If you don't mind me asking....is the Explorer 2 you're eyeing a white or black dial?

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 20, 2022

Just buy it, it’s only money.
    On justification, it’s white your other watch is black. :whistling:

PS…make sure you buy the new wife something nice also ;)

Dan S and JwRosenthal like this.
  15. JMO1995 Dec 20, 2022

I’m in the UK so I’m not sure on the process for AD’s looking for watches they’ve sold being resold on the secondary market.

It’s a polar dial.

16. blueteg Dec 20, 2022

Darn. That's going to make the choice alot harder. :)
    They're both great watches and very different from each other, good luck and congrats on the upcoming wedding.

JMO1995 likes this.
  17. janice&fred Dec 20, 2022

Ah you must be new at this relationship game. :D

Wellyjin and Mark020 like this.
  18. JwRosenthal Dec 20, 2022

These two things.

janice&fred likes this.
  19. janice&fred Dec 20, 2022

#1. "So you bought me this to make your 2 watch splurge somehow ok?"

#2. "You need to think of others instead of always yourself".

JMO1995 and JwRosenthal like this.
  20. JwRosenthal Dec 20, 2022

You have been in an interesting place these days, Fred, I’m liking it.

janice&fred likes this.