Forums Latest Members

Rolex 6694 tropical dial

1. dra43b Jul 25, 2020

Looking to buy this but my question is: Natural patina or water damage?
    IMG_20200720_182103_395.jpg

2. cristos71 Jul 25, 2020

To start with describing it as tropical is IMHO romanticizing what in fact is tired looking, well aged and bubbling dial. I'd say the dial looks like that due to aged and faded dial lacquer + some earlier water ingress which caused the bubbling + perhaps a healthy dose of nicotine at some point in its history.

Davidt, watch3s and Zapatta like this.
  3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 25, 2020

Yeeaaahhhh... I would have a hard time calling this a tropical patina. That’s damage and I would pass.

OmeGez likes this.
  4. ICONO Jul 25, 2020

Far, far better examples to be found

It’s very rare to find a 6694, in that kind of poor condition…

watch3s likes this.
  5. janice&fred Jul 25, 2020

Would depend on the state of the movement and price. Nice original 6694 dials are fairly easy to source and not expensive, so if the thing is a good runner and cheap then I say go for it. Can always wear it until a replacement dial is found. For me price of the watch will be the deciding factor. Anything can be fixed if the price is right.

6. Davidt Jul 25, 2020

Agree with what people have said above.

Also I don’t pay any attention to what caused the ageing/patina/damage etc. What’s important is whether you find it aesthetically pleasing if it relates to the dial, bezel, hands or case, or if it has caused damage to the movement.

Spacefruit and janice&fred like this.
  7. killer67 Jul 25, 2020

Unless the price is very compelling I would search a better oyster precision

janice&fred likes this.
  8. janice&fred Jul 25, 2020

I agree as price is key. I will add that finding an older version 6694 with it's original intact rivet oyster is getting harder as the years go by. That bracelet appears to be in decent shape as the head links aren't knife-edged or the grooves shallow from too much resurfacing. Of course more pics and a movement shot will help in determining overall condition aside from the aged dial. At the very least the entire watch does present as consistent with it's age. Nothing is more distracting than seeing an oldie like this fluffed up with a gleaming late model bracelet and freshly brushed lugs.

Stripey likes this.
  9. pongster Jul 25, 2020

OT: was just watching price is right reruns. :)

janice&fred likes this.
  10. dra43b Jul 25, 2020

Hey everyone

Thanks for the inputs. For those who are curious the price is $1200. And here are additional photos received_3457389740961478.jpeg received_320105185817960.jpeg

And I am actually very curious as to how the dial came to be, because I saw another one with the same discoloration but no bubbling, as shown in the photo below.
    20200726_002516.jpg

janice&fred likes this.
  11. Stripey Jul 25, 2020

What is going on with the bottom left lug in the picture of the movement that you posted - is it just heavily scratched, or actually corroded?

The movement looks as though it is in need of a clean, comparing it to mine - maybe those more experienced will have a more valuable view on that.

I would have thought you could make it work at that price, or negotiate some more, but for me it's difficult to justify it when it's a pretty common watch and there are a load of nicer ones about?

12. janice&fred Jul 25, 2020

It's not as common as you think given the year. The matching rivet bracelet is a huge plus and in my opinion it's gonna be hard to find one in such original condition for less or equal to what it will cost to buy that one, get the movement serviced and a replacement original dial. For me the watch looks like an honest survivor that luckily has escaped a flipper's scotchbrite pad and tube of polish. Not easy to find these days and once that watch is serviced up and the dial is replaced it's gonna be a $2200 to $2500 piece. I would pay $1200 for it as-is any day.

Stripey likes this.
  13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 25, 2020

Actually, I beg to differ with some parts. I bought a ‘69 air king from a single owner with full history. Looks incredible. It was head only as the original rivet bracelet was trashed by him long before. With the help of another member and patience, I found a NOS full link, untouched rivet bracelet in match ‘69 year for $500. I bought the bracelet last month. Granted, the OP watch is different than my Air King, it’s still a relatively common watch. There are far better examples in abundance. Maybe not overwhelming abundance, but they are out there. There are also very fine examples of bracelets too. I found three- one in my year, one in ‘71, and one in ‘68. If this is the watch the OP wants, go for it. But if they don’t want this damage, there are plenty more options out there. In full total on my watch, I spent $2,300. That’s watch head and bracelet combined.

Stripey likes this.
  14. janice&fred Jul 25, 2020

Sounds like 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I know the vintage Rolex market fairly well and like I said...I'm a buyer for that watch the OP posted any day for $1200.

OP if you don't take it, kindly PM me and I will. Even better for you...buy it, add $100 to the price for your troubles and I will pay you $1300 :D

dra43b, watch3s and Stripey like this.
  15. Stripey Jul 25, 2020

What year is it?

16. janice&fred Jul 25, 2020

Early '60's is my guess as it's hard to make out the year stamp on the caseback with my monitor.

Stripey likes this.
  17. killer67 Jul 25, 2020

Go for the bracelet; everything else is a bonus. Next one you find will likely have a later bracelet or a strap

Stripey and janice&fred like this.
  18. Davidt Jul 26, 2020

It looks like the standard end link wear you typically see on watches that have had non solid end links in place for decades.

janice&fred likes this.
  19. journeyforce Jul 26, 2020

I would pass

The 6694 was very common and made for a long time(1960's to about 2000) so you have a lot to play with.

The dial looks like it was in a fire.

It might be tempting to get it for the $1200 but for a little more you can get a better one. I got mine for under $1000 a few years ago.

Plus looking at the fact the adjustment is way to one side of the balance, It probably needs a service badly.
    the 6694 was an entry level model with a non COSC movement that is manual wind with a screw down crown. If you are a person that fears unscrewing or screwing the crown on your watches because you are afraid of stripping it, then you will not like this. Everyday you need to unscrew the crown to wind the watch. There is not quick set date ether. It is also a small watch

That said, the 6694 is not a bad watch and looks and wears great but you can do better then this one

20. Dan S Jul 26, 2020

That dial is too far gone for me to be interested.