Forums Latest Members
  1. howlett365 Nov 2, 2020

I recently took my non precious metal Omega Master Coaxial Seamaster chronometer to an Omega dealer asking for a quote for it to be serviced. When I was quoted £560 for the service, I pointed out that this was not consistent with the information available on the Omega web site. I was then told that as my watch is Master Coaxial, it has a more complex movement & therefore requires a more expensive service. I again pointed that this is not reflected on the web site only to be told that the Master Coaxial service price is not listed by Omega. I argued my case & was eventually quoted £450 for a service. I am curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

2. nobbylon Nov 2, 2020

£200 at watchguy. I’ve used Christian’s services before and nothing but good to say about him and his team,

D5F9D788-6BF4-4AD9-91C5-75EA1DAD61DE.png

Engee likes this.
  3. Donn Chambers Nov 2, 2020

Many dealers add a surcharge to the Omega service price, then ship the watch to Omega anyway. Part of their "help" to you for dealing with shipping. It's always better to deal with Omega directly for servicing watches, or a local watchmaker. Just make sure the local watchmaker has an Omega parts account AND is qualified to service co-axial movements.

kip595 likes this.
  4. ctpete Nov 2, 2020

This is critical advice!

Archer likes this.
  5. slwoodster Nov 2, 2020

Thanks for helping everyone save a hundred quid! How old is the watch?

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 3, 2020

Exactly. Christian (Watchguy) is great but he falls down on one, maybe both of those criteria.

Edited Nov 3, 2020
  7. nobbylon Nov 3, 2020

Does qualified mean competent? If someone is competent they don’t need to be qualified!

8. gpssti4 Nov 3, 2020

I’d prefer both!

LeonDeBayonne and Archer like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 3, 2020

Most ADs in Australia will throw $200 on just to send watch in even after charging shipping both ways and the service charge.

A $650 service by Tag Heuer became $900 from a jewellery store that sold Tags in my neck of the woods. Refused to pay the $200 and went to Fair trading and claimed I was charged for a service that wasn’t doing anything. Paid the service and paid the $25 each way shipping so Fair Trading asked the store what was the service provided.
    Ruled in my favour and didn’t have to pay the $200. :D

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 3, 2020

Both.

Farmer and padders like this.
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 3, 2020

I am not doubting his general competence which is extremely high but AFAIK he has no parts account and hasn’t to to my knowledge achieved the necessary certification from Omega to work on Co-ax stuff. Whether he needs it is up for debate but my earlier comment stands.

Don't get me wrong, both Christian and Mitka (his former apprentice now operating independently) are very talented. I have used them for several vintage pieces but would I send them a modern Co-ax Omega maybe needing restricted parts? Hell no. I'd use an authorised repairer.

Edited Nov 3, 2020
    jeelan and Wetworks like this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 3, 2020

Name names. Which jeweller tried to rob you of £110? You are fully entitled to say on here who it was. There are no forum rules preventing you and if you are being factual nothing legal to stop you stating the truth. It was shoddy behaviour* so I would imagine it would help other UK members decide which outlets are worth dealing with.

*Of course it could have been an honest mistake but give people the means to judge for themselves.

Edited Nov 3, 2020
    Wetworks and Jeeper like this.
  13. Jeeper Nov 3, 2020

Do you have contact details, please.

jeeper