Forums Latest Members
  1. JwRosenthal Dec 6, 2022

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 6, 2022

Flew on quite a few. That and 777 … smooth as silk.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Dec 6, 2022

A step up from a C-130, I’ll give you that.

kkt, Faz, Tony C. and 3 others like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Dec 6, 2022

So I wouldn’t be me without a long winded story, now would I?

My first time flying was on a 747, LAX to Honolulu. It was probably1977 and I remember it vividly. I had to dress up since we were going on a plane so I had khaki shorts, a clip-on tie and a little sport jacket. I remember the burnt orange floral seat covers, the double isles I could run up and down for hours, the massive rear galley where the stewardesses in pretty Hawaiian patterned dresses gave me candy and soda. I visited the cockpit during flight and got to talk to the pilots and see all the instruments (so many knobs and switches). The best was the spiral stairs to the upstairs lounge where I sat with my father as he smoked and read his book at the low cocktail tables, I felt like a VIP. The bartender gave me extra cherries in my 7-up. This is how I remember flying as a child, Ifeel saddened that kids don’t get to experience that kind of joy and privilege when flying anymore.

The last domestic US route for the 747 was from Chicago to Maui on United, they stopped about 7 years ago. I flew it back in 2007 and it was as I remembered (without the burnt orange upholstery and the flight attendants weren’t wearing floral dresses anymore). But those double isles…with a back condition it was glorious as I could get up and walk laps around the plane during flight, or just stand in the galley for a while and look out the window.

The article linked above says Lufthansa still flies 25 747’s, who knows for how long. Perhaps I’ll see if they fly into an east coast terminal and we’ll take a flight to Berlin just to give the plane a kiss goodbye.

Edited Dec 6, 2022
    studeb, kkt, johnireland and 9 others like this.
  5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 6, 2022

But what watches were they wearing?

6. SC1 Dec 6, 2022

First time for me... 1972, nonstop from DC to LAX.
    Eight year old me received a pin from the pilot and a tie tack for my clip on tie, both my brother and me were dressed to the nines ~ as per mom & dad's dress code for travel, after touring the cockpit and getting to sit in the copilot's seat while flying over the Grand Canyon no less.
    Everything about the flight west and then back east was pure magic.
    Entire plane smelled of cologne and ciggie smoke. Childhood.
    Meal westward was grilled sirloin, whipped potatoes, green beans with butter, a roll and too many Cokes.
    Eastbound, I sweet talked the stewardess into four hot fudge sundaes in lieu of a proper meal... which landed me in the bathroom vomiting them up in turbulence somewhere over Oklahoma. Bummer.
    My brother, five years older than I, had me convinced that as a consolation to my gluttony at least my stomach contents shot straight out of the 747 and down onto some unsuspecting Okie.

italy1861, Tony C., abrod520 and 4 others like this.
  7. JwRosenthal Dec 6, 2022

Yup! I have identified that smell (no joke) Aramis (the cologne my dad wore through the 70’s), Dior Eau Sauvage and Brut (most prominent notes in those are very period of lime, leather and patchouli). Mix any of those with a Camel unfiltered and a dram of bourbon and you will be transported to 1975…no shit.

ErichPryde, kkt, Syzygy and 6 others like this.
  8. josiahg52 Dec 6, 2022

Only once for me in December 2006 on a United flight from ATL to SFO. Wasn't even supposed to happen that way. My brother and I were flying home on leave for Christmas from MHT to DFW to SFO to RNO. Weather at DFW made them fly us instead to ATL and then we took the 747 all the way to SFO and then continued on to RNO. Beautiful aircraft and a good trip.

SC1 and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. Evitzee Dec 6, 2022

First flew a 747 in 1981 when I flew to Perth, Western Australia for a nine month job......Houston, Los Angeles, Honolulu, Auckland, Sydney, Perth .... a long trip. Flew many times from Melbourne to either Los Angeles or San Francisco between 1996 to 2001. United had its business class on the upper deck, plenty of room to stretch out, maybe only 24 seats on the upper deck. The 747 was a great machine.

Shabbaz, SC1 and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Dec 6, 2022

upload_2022-12-6_19-19-35.jpeg

I miss the seat trays and stewardess hotties

kkt and blufinz52 like this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 6, 2022

Yes but the Herc will outlive us all.

12. sxl2004 Dec 6, 2022

Boston Frankfurt or Munich has some 747 flights on some days

JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. MTROIS Dec 6, 2022

I think eight years ago, I was flying back from Basel to NYC on Lufthansa and was connecting via FRA.
    Almost missed the connection… but what a surprise when I was told that I was upgraded from Business to First… on a 747!!! Only time I flew on this type , AND in the hump of this beautiful plane. Couldn’t get any better than that. :cool:

14. rendo Dec 6, 2022

As a foreign student in the U.S. many years ago, the first leg of my flight back home was on a 747 from SFO to Munich or Frankfurt with Lufthansa, or to Amsterdam with KLM. My last flight on a 747 was from SFO to HKG on United back in 2013, and I didn't realize that until today.

SC1 likes this.
  15. JNwatchboutique Dec 6, 2022

What I wouldn't give to have experienced something like this.

JwRosenthal and SC1 like this.
  16. Fallout Boy Dec 6, 2022

My first flight with the Böing ;) 747 was from NY to Zürch in 1976.... great experience, after flying with the "TUBE" 707 before. I remember asking a A- or F-seat at check-in for more comfort in the smaller 707.

SC1 likes this.
  17. gbesq Dec 7, 2022

I remember flying coach (now economy) non-stop from JFK to Tokyo-Narita on a Northwest Orient 747 many years ago. The only part of that memory that remains vivid is that it was the longest flight of my life at around 15 hours..

Edited Dec 7, 2022
  18. Kraal90 Dec 7, 2022

Never got to sit in the upper deck on one of these. Always was a dream when I as a boy boarding the plane and peering up the stairs.

MTROIS and Foo2rama like this.
  19. Sa Calobra Dec 7, 2022

i was lucky to fly upper deck once. It was very special - as if you were in a private jet.

MTROIS likes this.
  20. Kraal90 Dec 7, 2022

Rubbing it in
    Jokes aside, wonder if we’ll ever see a double decker passenger plan again.