Ribbon dial -Globemaster- cal501 on eBay?

Check out this oddball. What am I looking at here? American ref case E16454 which I can find NO information on google. I am fairly up to speed on the Constellation history and have read most of Desmonds contributions. But I dont recognise this dial? Does it fall into the catagory of "special dials" found on a lot of seamasters of the time? To my eye the dial looks original. Is it is a good redial? Frankenstein? The crown doesnt appear to be consistent with other 501 globemasters I have seen. Unfortunately the https://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Globemasterpost.pdf link is dead. I see it crossposted a ton when these questions come up. Anyone have a mirror or can post an image of?

Cheers OF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2262503001...uid=1TkFmKiBS32&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Edited:

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I have this one as an image but I don't think this is the one you're looking for ...

Like 1
I’m not aware of any Globemaster model with a curtain dial. Probable redial using a Seamaster dial. Here’s my Seamaster 14671 with a curtain dial and very similar markers.
IMG_7391.jpeg

Like 2
I think it is a legitimate variation of a 2nd generation Globemaster.

The seller’s eBay description has the story more or less correct. The ad above shows a 1st generation Globemaster, which is exactly the same as the Constellation, just without the name.

The 2nd generation Globemasters were assembled only in the U.S. from 1959 to around 1963 using movements that Omega considered obsolete (cal. 501 and 503). These were discontinued in 1959 in favor of the 55X/56X movements.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

Like 5
I think it is a legitimate variation of a 2nd generation Globemaster.

The seller’s eBay description has the story more or less correct. The ad above shows a 1st generation Globemaster, which is exactly the same as the Constellation, just without the name.

The 2nd generation Globemasters were assembled only in the U.S. from 1959 to around 1963 using movements that Omega considered obsolete (cal. 501 and 503). These were discontinued in 1959 in favor of the 55X/56X movements.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa
I agree that the seller has the history more or less correct. I just can’t recall any Omega models with curtain dials other than certain Seamaster and Seamaster DeVille models and they all seem to have been manufactured in the 1961-1962 timeframe. Were there any Constellation models with this dial variation?

You will find very little evidence of anything relating to 2nd generation Globemasters. My opinion on these is that they were basically factory made frankenwatches from Omega Bienne’s perspective.

This is about all we have.

upload_2024-7-23_10-48-33.jpeg

Even on this price list, they are kind of an afterthought, slotted below the Seamasters. Make sense, as the Globemaster cases were generally not water resistant like the higher level Seamaster and Constelations.
gatorcpa

Like 2
Yep, I’m familiar with the history. I have a first generation 1952 Globemaster reference 2652 with a two tone textured dial and gold arrowheads in my collection. To my knowledge, there are only a handful of these in existence.
upload_2024-7-23_11-0-34.jpeg

Like 2
Yep, I’m familiar with the history. I have a first generation 1952 Globemaster reference 2652 with a two tone textured dial and gold arrowheads in my collection. To my knowledge, there are only a handful of these in existence.
upload_2024-7-23_11-0-34.jpeg
Super cool. Super Jealous. Thanks for the info here this morning. Cheers.