Rewinding needs crown to be pulled out and re-inserted

Posts
20
Likes
9
Wotcha, all! (For people who don't understand the term it's an old amiable expression used in England 🙂)
I recently had my Moon-watch Omega Speedmaster serviced.
It runs without any problems and keeps good time. However, when winding the watch I cannot give it a full wind: I have found that if I pull out the stem and push it back in I can then wind it quite a lot more. Even then it still does not seem to give the long run time that it had before I needed to have the watch serviced. Then it could occasionally run for two whole days but it seems to be more like a day and a half now.
Do you have any comments, reassurance or otherwise?
Thanks in advance!
 
Posts
6,441
Likes
31,669
Could it be you're just not winding it long enough to a full stop?
 
Posts
3,463
Likes
35,316
Talk to your watchmaker… needs to go back.
 
Posts
20
Likes
9
Talk to your watchmaker… needs to go back.
Thanks for your comment. I was hoping that would not be the case. I shall just live with it for the time being. However, I would be reluctant to use the same service again.
 
Posts
20
Likes
9
Could it be you're just not winding it long enough to a full stop?
I don't think so. I am reluctant to use force when I feel the resistance to winding. Certainly when I do the "stem-out/stem-in" cycle the resistance is gone.
 
Posts
2,340
Likes
1,460
Did he replace the mainspring with a proper one and not just something he had lying round?
 
Posts
20
Likes
9
Did he replace the mainspring with a proper one and not just something he had lying round?
I am confident he would have used authentic Omega parts. By the way, I have contacted the repair principal and basically he said what YY77 said. Namely, he asked if I was winding the watch enough. It would be good news if that is the reason. I am really nervous about "overwinding" the watch. I am going to start a daily log of the number of turns of the stem I am applying.
 
Posts
2,340
Likes
1,460
Let it wind down completely and count from there. See how long it runs.

Then you can try the winding every morning. Making sure you wind at the same time each morning
 
Posts
559
Likes
3,996
Are you saying it will not wind to a full stop? That would be a broken ms. If it's operating correctly, it will wind easily up until it's fully wound. This pulling the crown out and back in has me mystified. I have not ever heard of that. You should not fear winding it too hard. You'll know when it's at the end...just stop when it's fully wound. You won't break it unless you grap pliers and go at it.
 
Posts
191
Likes
168
Perhaps the o-ring on the crown is binding. Pulling the crown out and pushing it back in is temporarily reseating it. It's a long shot...
 
Posts
20
Likes
9
Let it wind down completely and count from there. See how long it runs.

Then you can try the winding every morning. Making sure you wind at the same time each morning
Will do!
 
Posts
20
Likes
9
Perhaps the o-ring on the crown is binding. Pulling the crown out and pushing it back in is temporarily reseating it. It's a long shot...
That sounds logical. I shall keep monitoring this condition. The gentleman who owns the service company said that after the service the watch ran for 51 hours, exactly. The way I am winding the watch it is more like 30 hours.