Forums Latest Members

reward 1.000.- US to get back this stolen 30T2 and 5 others (UPS loss)

1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 16, 2019

I don't think you can make that assumption - they see a package with paperwork declaring certain items it goes through customs and I doubt they take the trouble to check whether there is anything inside. I have had a recent experience with UPS dealing with damage from shipping and it was horrific. Had over 2 dozen online and phone communications with the shipper and various UPS reps over 2 months before resolution. And that was only after the sender who was a senior law firm partner explored legal remedies.

2. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 16, 2019

If the items listed on the invoice are not present, the parcel gets returned. No exceptions.

3. Swissmister May 16, 2019

UPS has a team of experts whose careers are dedicated to NOT taking responsibility for shipped items, and dealing with them when they have been negligent is, truly, painful. However, in this case, the person who packed those parts is wholly responsible for the loss. Anyone shipping with any of the big operations must assume their package will be abused. When I ship heavy, fragile items, I always assume a ten foot drop, crushing under 50 or more pounds, and any number of "tosses" onto conveyors. No items are babied no matter how many "Fragile" markings are present.

DaveK, martinw, Ravineman and 2 others like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 16, 2019

In what way.

Most UPS facilities have way too many cameras where customs work. Most large logistics places I have worked at have....

watchyouwant and divetime like this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! May 16, 2019

Not insinuating anything in particular it just seems odd that a parcel which may have been an attempt to evade duty ends up empty having passed through customs. I am sure seizure doesn't work that way but it is a train of thought, that's all.

I still can't understand how all these items were supposedly sent in an A4 document pouch. I doubt there would be space. Something doesn't add up here and I am still convinced that the OP is the sender, not the receiver, based on the syntax, grammar and decimal point as thousands separator.

6. JwRosenthal May 16, 2019

Ups destroyed a McIntosh Amp I ordered that was in factor double box, mounted to a wooden pallet. It was dropped so hard (like it fell off the conveyor going into the cargo hold of an airplane) it snapped the wooden pallet and crushed an entire corner of the amp, doing catastrophic damage to it. UPS tried to blame poor packaging!! Even their adjuster shook his head and said it was dropped hard. It took months and finally i turned to the retailer and told them to make me whole- and they did...don’t know if they ever got compensated.

CJpickup57 and Swissmister like this.
  7. MTROIS May 16, 2019

…And the time of the OP. I mean, even stressed out, would one post at 2:37am IL time?

padders likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal May 16, 2019

I don’t understand what he would have to gain. I thought this was a shout out to the community for eyes open to help a fellow member...or am I being overly naive? (Wouldn’t be the first time I was too sunny-side up).

MTROIS and divetime like this.
  9. MTROIS May 16, 2019

I am NOT implying that there is any ill intent or shady play from the OP (or anybody for that matter), we are just saying (I believe) that the assumption that the OP is the recipient may not be correct.

Still baffled by this poor packaging in the first place…

padders likes this.
  10. dputydwg1 May 16, 2019

Im always sad hearing these stories

divetime likes this.
  11. divetime May 16, 2019

it looks like being cutter afterwards, but impossible to say. It changed may hands before they tried to deliver an empty envelope...

12. divetime May 16, 2019

UPS does not insure watches! So no insurance :-((

13. divetime May 16, 2019

I had another case recently without any resolution - so they are not helpful at all. Horrific describes it very well. I can not hope for any help from them.... :-((

14. divetime May 16, 2019

Thank you for all your comments - I truly hope that one of you is coming across at least the Omega 30T2 sometime and would let me know before it is sold again. THANK YOU FOR KEEPING YOUR EYES OPEN!

superfly and MTROIS like this.
  15. Swissmister May 16, 2019

You aren't mentioning the woefully inadequate packing of the items. If you didn't pack them, the seller is 100 percent responsible. Why haven't you made mention of pursuing that avenue?

michael e, MTROIS and BenBagbag like this.
  16. michael e Still learning. May 16, 2019

Sorry for the loss but...
    The packing there is awful, and all those watches inside? Totally Inadequate.
    Reminds me of the guy who filmed himself posting a Patek to me, he puts the Patek wooden box in a plastic envelope with no bubble wrap. The package turns up slit and sealed with clear tape, the same tape used to stick my address to the envelope at that.

Who was the shipper here? The OP or was he the recipient?

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 16, 2019

I think the packing here was done to downgrade the value of the items - raises some flags if you're declaring the items as watches for parts with bulletproof packing. Clearly backfired in this instance.

18. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 16, 2019

My only vintage Speedmaster was shipped to me simple wrapped in some bubble wrap and put in a soft-sided envelope. I was amazed, but I have since come to learn that is normal for this particular seller, and it seems to work well enough that he is okay with the liability (which tells me he has not had any significant issues using this method). I am curious how the lost watches were packed before going into this envelope; since it is for flat documents is would not seem to work as well as one of the linen envelopes.

19. michael e Still learning. May 16, 2019

I send even low value items in a cardboard box with bubble wrap and the box fully taped up all round with clear tape.

The worst packing I have had is a fully papered 1966 Rolex 5513 gilt sent in a Manila envelope which had been licked and pressed down, no packing at all.
    The postman found an envelope addressed to me but nothing in it, when he looked at the bottom of the sack in the depot he found the watch and the guarantee booklet but all the other service documents were gone. He turned up on my doorstep with the watch in a clear plastic bag.
    I was mighty relieved I can tell you that.

Mods, Xeer, cristos71 and 5 others like this.
  20. dputydwg1 May 16, 2019

I guess we are at the point where it pays to ask seller how item will be packed, protected, shipped etc. before making purchase or payment.