Forums Latest Members
  1. khanmu Mar 21, 2022

When I joined OF, my watch collection was Omega models, mostly Speedmaster variants, a couple of Seamasters and one Swatch. Since then, my knowledge and collection of Omegas has increased greatly (thank you OF!), but ironically most of what I’ve collected are other brands, as a result of being introduced to them on OF . As result, I've also come to love and own Rolex, UG, Zenith, Breitling, Tudor, JLC, Longines , as well as brands I hadn’t heard of, such as Nivada, Bulova, Waltham, Certina and Doxa, to name a few. What is common is a love and fascination with chronographs, and particularly panda variants.

I came across the Lonville Watch Company, a Swiss Italian company, as I had met the founder (or “reviver", more accurately) in a professional capacity, he was also a watch enthusiast who'd gone a step further and set up a watch company. I had seen some of their watches at an event, but had to pass on them, as at circa CHF18k for the one I liked, they were outside my budget (or what Mrs K allows!). However I thought they were really beautifully made watches, in limited runs of about 18 or so, and with an "All Swiss” manufacturing ethos - more info here https://lonville.com

They released the Lonville Rallymaster last year, a three register chronograph available in four colour schemes, which could be seen as the entry level model. I put myself down for, and recently took delivery of, a Rallymaster in Ecosse Blue - a blue and silver reverse panda dial.

https://lonville.com/rallymaster/

The watch comes in a numbered edition of 88, I was able to secure 1/88, and it came with my name engraved on the caseback. It comes in an elegant wood watch box, and on a very nice blue leather strap with deployant clasp. The watch itself is 40mm diameter with twisted lugs, and classic chronograph design cues. Nice touches include alpha hands, open tipped red chronograph hand, and a screw down crown. Another is that the strap clasp actually looks like a buckle when folded, and 20mm lugs mean its easy to try different straps (see phots below for it on blue saffiano and tan). An updated version is available with a dark blue tachy ring. My callipers make it 13.8mm thick, and for me at least, the overall dimensions are perfect for my wrist.

A lot of attention has been paid to the details, the case is really nice with brushed sides, pushers and crown are really very well executed.The sub dials are "snailed" and beautifully done, and the dial has applied logo. What I particularly like on this blue version is the truly beautiful sunburst blue dial which shimmers in different shades of blue, from light to deep depending. Overall the watch itself is a beautiful thing, and my poor iPhone photos don’t do it any justice at all. I would recommend looking at their web site for better photos!

I’m not an expert on movements, it has an automatic Sellita LV3 25 jewels, with 48 hours. To my eyes at least, the movement looks lovely, finished to a high standard and is nicely shown off by the sapphire case back.

At CHF370 (about £3k) for this “entry model”, this watch and Lonville itself are clearly not aimed at the budget end of the market. So why buy this and not say, a Speedmaster automatic? Well, I already have quite a few Speedmasters, this watch lets me to indulge my love of well designed and nicely executed chronographs, in a form that I haven’t seen before (blue reverse panda), within my budget, and which is a little bit unique and limited, and made by a truly independent company operated by real watch enthusiasts. Overall I’m really pleased with this, and it’s definitely one that will be getting a lot of wear over the summer.

IMG_1154.jpeg IMG_1153.jpeg IMG_1172.jpeg IMG_1329.jpeg IMG_1178.jpeg IMG_1331.jpeg View attachment 1389086 View attachment 1389085

IMG_1324.jpeg

Edited Mar 23, 2022
    crd, Duracuir1 and Larry S like this.
  2. Jantar Mar 21, 2022

The blue very much reminds me of the soleil dial speedmasters. I also like the pushers. It’s an attractive watch if a bit pricey for the movement. It certainly appears well made.

khanmu likes this.