Forums Latest Members

Restored conquest power reserve

1. lsupcar Mar 22, 2020

omegasaso12, BlueHands and Spruce like this.
  2. lsupcar Mar 22, 2020

New to this forum and how to post pics.
    The above is a 1962 model that my mom bought in New Orleans in 1962 and gave to my dad as an engagement / wedding gift.
    This is the watch I remember him wearing when I was a child. He had it on a spiedel stretch bracelet of all things.
    When he died two years ago, I inherited it and set about getting it back to working condition. It required shipment to Switzerland and a year of restoration. I think the sticking point was the necessity of fabricating a new crystal.
    It returned recently and looks as I remember him wearing it.
    While doing my research, I have not come across another picture of a black dial power reserve. But this is the original dial that my mom bought.
    Thanks for looking.
    I think it looks great and the service department did a great job.
    Bill Z

DaveK likes this.
  3. BlueHands Mar 23, 2020

Welcome to the forum, a very nice watch you got from your parents and a great restored condition. Ready to wear for the next
    decades. The "Power-Reserve"-models are quite scarce, but I'm not the expert for that special watch. Surely more often to find
    with a bright dial.

4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 23, 2020

Thanks for your post.

If it helps, the photos insert wherever your cursor is.

5. Dan S Mar 23, 2020

Welcome to the forum, that's a beautiful watch, and I do think that the black dials are uncommon. Also, those are not the hands I'm accustomed to seeing on these references. I normally see the lumed hands with needle tips. Did Longines replace the hands?

Oku likes this.
  6. Radiumpassion Mar 23, 2020

Nice heirloom and story. It would be interesting to see a picture of the watch
    before restoration:)

Dan S likes this.
  7. Oku Mar 23, 2020

In addition to @Dan S: While hands are not lumed the dial is lumed.
    It is also quite strange that the rail track which makes the dial usually so attractive is painted black.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. Dan S Mar 23, 2020

Yes, I was being discreet about this since it's an heirloom, but the point is now made. ;)

9. JohnSteed Mar 23, 2020

Does the inner disk rotate (edit, not wind) when the crown is operated? Thank you

10. lsupcar Mar 23, 2020

Radiumpassion and Dan S like this.
  11. lsupcar Mar 23, 2020

Sorry for the double prerestoration pic.
    Yes, the hands and markers were replaced. They needed it. I would not be surprised if the hands and markers on the prerestoration watch had beed replaced by a local jeweler in New Orleans. They did not look very high quality.
    The current hands are sometimes hard to see.
    The central power reserve pointer and numeral dial both rotate with the state of wind.

Radiumpassion and Dan S like this.
  12. Dan S Mar 23, 2020

Very interesting to see the before and after. :thumbsup:

13. Adam2941 Mar 23, 2020

Well, this is a discussion forum, so let's discuss. It is a very nice watch, a Longines Conquest power reserve, cal. 294, and no doubt a very valued heirloom. I would say it is almost 100% certain that the dial has been refinished. I do not believe this model was ever made with a black dial, although others in the 290 series were, but only those with no power reserve indicator. This redial is very well done, but you can see some differences compared with the original dial posted below, such as the flair at the end of the "t" in Conquest. Also, the recessed ring that traces along the minute markers should be reflective chrome, not painted. The hands, at least the minute hand and hour hand, are replaced, as is the crown. The one pictured below is all original, including the very rare crown that is unique to the cal. 294. Can we see the back? Two types were made, plain back and medallion back.

20200323_183957.jpg

14. Adam2941 Mar 23, 2020

Oh, the pre-restoration pics just came in. Notice how "Conquest" and "automatic" are slightly crooked in relation to the three stars. Probably an older redial, but a redial for sure.

15. TXwatchfan Apr 19, 2020

Amazing, Longines knows how to make a good looking and well built watch!