Restore or leave

I have a seamaster that has been worn constantly for the last 40+ years and the crystal is pretty scratched. I’m of the opinion that an object should show it’s patina with pride - I have a couple of classic motorbikes 9C5E221C-56EC-4BEB-855E-CA4076B1700F.jpeg that prove that point. The question is should I have the crystal replaced to see the face better or leave it alone. I think I know the answer but put it out for general comment.

It's a Seamaster and therefore has water resistance. It's probably overdue to have it seals replaced anyways, so you might as well service it and you can get a new crystal as part of the service.

Interesting that you don't consider this one vintage. Most of us would.

While a little age doesn't bother me, I don't like my watches looking like they were beat to hell. But not everyone thinks like me. 😀

Can't tell from the photos if it's beyond polishing. If yes then I would definitely replace it with a genuine omega crystal and just keep the original.

I’d try polishing with polywatch (or even autosol, toothpaste or similar) but if the scratches are too deep or it’s cracked I’d certainly get a new crystal.

Most collectors certainly wouldn’t advocate polishing cases, refinishing dials etc but a replacement crystal is fine on all but the most historically important watches.

I don’t have a problem with replacement parts, as long as they’re correct for the reference.

Not the clearest of photos, but it looks a bit too late for Polywatch, if it’s plexi.

I say replace it. You can always keep the original crystal.

I say replace it. You can always keep the original crystal.
Do people do that? I've never understood why. It's like keeping the broken icemaker from your refrigerator after it's fixed.

Do people do that? I've never understood why. It's like keeping the broken icemaker from your refrigerator after it's fixed.
Some people find it hard to let go.

728337F6-BE44-4A70-835B-FD8EEB9ACE59.jpeg

It's a Seamaster and therefore has water resistance. It's probably overdue to have it seals replaced anyways, so you might as well service it and you can get a new crystal as part of the service.

Interesting that you don't consider this one vintage. Most of us would.

While a little age doesn't bother me, I don't like my watches looking like they were beat to hell. But not everyone thinks like me. 😀
What cutoff makes it vintage? Is my other omega - a de ville quartz of 1985 vintage or modern?

This would be mineral crystal, so you would need the appropriate Polywatch for that purpose.

This would be mineral crystal, so you would need the appropriate Polywatch for that purpose.
The watch was bought in London in mid 1979

What cutoff makes it vintage? Is my other omega - a de ville quartz of 1985 vintage or modern?
No one knows. You weren't wrong. 😀

IMHO vintage Omega is prior to the switch from in-house to ETA movements
ETA is Swatch Group, right? So those must be in house!

I wish I'd kept the original crystal from my 1969 Carrera to act as a reference because all the replacements I've had since are not quite the right shape. Maybe one will turn up though.

7753_crystal.jpg

I would say leave it but if its really an eye sore and you do replace just keep the original

I wish I'd kept the original crystal from my 1969 Carrera to act as a reference because all the replacements I've had since are not quite the right shape. Maybe one will turn up though.
I dunno, reminds me of my father keeping the power cord off some busted electrical shit.

I dunno, reminds me of my father keeping the power cord off some busted electrical shit.

I've clipped the power cord off a lot of stuff, for work, home & even friends. But that was to make sure it could not be used in that condition again, particularly if there were children around (which includes many business cow-orkers 🙁). But, hey, there are standards for power cords. So they are replaceable. Doesn't apply to watch crystals.

I get you but at some point where does it become ridiculous? The busted part you're removing will never ever function again, so why would you keep it? Do you think it could be cloned or something?

I get you but at some point where does it become ridiculous? The busted part you're removing will never ever function again, so why would you keep it? Do you think it could be cloned or something?

Why does this bother you? People can keep whatever they want...