Restoration Advice

Hi folks,
A few years ago I acquired an Omega Speedmaster “Ed White” which I’m in the process of restoring via an experienced independent watchmaker.

I have 2 options for the restoration with option (a) being only changing essential components including plexiglass glass with a mechanical overhaul while option (b) is to replace the pushers, crown, bezel and cash polish.

I would retain all the original parts noting the current pulsations bezel appears to be a service bezel.
Interested in hearing from experienced members in relation to Pros and Cons of the options.

Many thanks.

Like 1
It’s hard to judge the case from a single photos, but unless it’s already severely polished, I wouldn’t touch the case.
we also don’t know whether the crown and pushers are original from your one photo, but again, if original I wouldn’t replace.
Finally, you already have a ‘service’ bezel that appears to have faded nicely and will clean up wel once the dirt is removed. Unless you want a tachy bezel I don’t see the benefit or need to replace it, unless you’re going to source a vintage DoN bezel.

Like 2
Find out exactly what is original, and then decide, but less is always more.

Like 1
If you value the most what the watch will be worth afterwards then keep it as original as possible, dial and case are the most valuable parts followed by the bezel, and the hands should match the dial in colour/patina, even up to sacrifycing maximum water resistance by keeping the original crown etc.
If you want it to be your daily wear then replace the crown and pushers with new ones, re fit the crystal and put a new gasket on the case back. Or pry out the old O-ring from inside the crown ( a monks`s task ) and fit new ones but that would not be up to Omega standards for servicing.
And a movement service of course but in both examples ; do not polish the case, or maybe just a touch up because you to retain the shapes and lines as much as possible.
Good luck !

I say it depends on what you want out of the watch.

For me, it's a matter of water resistance. Will the watch pass with new gaskets, pushers, and crown? If it does and you have plans to wear it regularly, replace them.

I have a 145.022-69 ST and was in a similar quandary. Full restoration or select parts. I had the movement was fully serviced and the watchmaker did an excellent job making the case look extraordinary without resorting to actual polishing. Maybe it was just that dirty. My crystal was in good shape. The original crown and pusher gaskets had liquefied then hardened inside the movement; a real pain to clean up apparently, so I was asked if the pushers and crown should be replaced. My watch had some corrosion in the case back area so there was some doubt it would pass even with new parts. This lead me to only replace the crown. Not the best decision under the circumstances. Sort of half-assed. I wished I had just replaced everything, taken a chance it'd pass.

The first time I wore it, on the second day, I got fogging under the crystal. That doesn't mean water got inside necessarily during my wear, but it sort of ruined the watch for me and I hardly wear it, only a few times since then and that was almost ten years ago. Now, I'm contemplating selling it or sinking some more cash into it to improve its performance. Now that Omega has a nearly identical watch for sale new, it's harder to choose.

If you want to wear it, get it fully serviced, water tested for your own peace of mind, but skip a full-on polish.

Like 2
I don't think we can give you advice without understanding your motivations. What would be your goal in replacing the pushers, crown, bezel and polishing the case? Are you trying to restore "originality?" Make the watch more attractive? Improve water resistance? Something else?

Like 2
Thanks for all the responses, some very helpful insights. The watch will be part of a broader rotation so I am trying to strike the right balance between retaining the watches heritage characteristics and overall wearability.

After reasonable consideration, I have decided to proceed with essential restoration including retaining the existing hands and crystal where at all possible.

Thanks again for all the advice.

RF

Like 1
Vintage watches will tell you phantastic stories when you look at them, but most are secrets that you have to unravel by interpreting the marks, scratches, and colors.

Like 1