Requesting thoughts about this ladies' 18K Omega 580

Dear Forum Members,

I've been away for a while, enjoying the two watches I eventually bought with your kind help:
1. a gorgeous 1960s Eternamatic purchased from an OF member
2. a slightly high-maintenance but cool early 70s women's Constellation (bought on eBay from Japan)

Now I'm feeling the urge for a third watch, and this time I want something feminine and jewel-like. I found the watch below on eBay, offered for about $750, which fits the bill, and am wondering what people think. Here's what I've gathered/guess:
1. The dial has been refinished, right?
2. The seller dates it from 1962, and the serial number and movement number (580) match up. (I believe the 580 movement dates from the late 1950s.)
3. Has the case been over polished? It doesn't look too bad to me, but I don't have a practiced eye.
4. The seller claims that the movement has been serviced, and it does look clean--but again I'd be eager to know what the experts think.

Thank you everyone for any and all thoughts!

This is a model from a series Omega named Sapphette. The difference between various models was primarily lug design, but there were variations. A distinguishing feature on the Sapphette models was the beautiful faceted synthetic sapphire crystal as shown on the subject watch. The circumference of the crystal was decorated just the way that faceting was done on precious gems. The sapphire crystal is next to diamond in hardness, and they survive for, not just decades, but half centuries without scratching. On such a nice original watch, I think it very unlikely that the dial has been re finished. I’m sure the “dial experts” will disagree with my opinion. My wife has two Sapphettes, and she loves them. One of them shown here has a pastel blue tinted sapphire crystal, and the dial on this one HAS been refinished!

P4056767.jpeg

Thank you! Yes, that blue Sapphette crystal is gorgeous. I saw one once on eBay, but there don’t seem to be very many around. Glad to know your wife enjoys hers! Actually you’ve answered one of my other questions—I was wondering if the Sapphette crystal seemed original to the watch I am looking at.

I’ve seen the 580 movement sold for around $50, and I estimate that servicing the watch would be in the $400-500 range, and then there’s the value of the gold, which suggests that $750 is not bad… ?

Prices like that to service this movement lead me to suggest that you check around for quotes on servicing the watch. Those prices sound high. The picture of the movement leads me to conclude there shouldn’t be a lot of new parts required. Yes, the crystal is original. Nice watch! I bought the two Sapphettes that my wife has, for scrap gold value. Mind you, the one I showed was a total basket case. Badly rusted, and worn out. Lots of work to bring it to where it is today. $750 to buy the watch? Keep watching the listing. The market for pre-owned ladie’s watches is not strong. My guess s the price will come down. Or you might consider making an offer.

Prices like that to service this movement lead me to suggest that you check around for quotes on servicing the watch. Those prices sound high. The picture of the movement leads me to conclude there shouldn’t be a lot of new parts required. Yes, the crystal is original. Nice watch! I bought the two Sapphettes that my wife has, for scrap gold value. Mind you, the one I showed was a total basket case. Badly rusted, and worn out. Lots of work to bring it to where it is today.
Really?? I cannot for the life of me find anyone to service my watches for less than $400. I live in NYC, which is hopeless I know—

Really?? I cannot for the life of me find anyone to service my watches for less than $400. I live in NYC, which is hopeless I know—

From the sound of it, NY prices are about double our local prices. And our prices are in Canadian $!

While it does have interesting hidden lugs. I think the price is high and maybe closer to $400 on or about.

A square with round corners and a marquise shaped 18kt models sold on ebay for under $200

as mentioned above. Women’s models not great sellers and seen more as a jewellery piece accessory

check EBay’s completed auctions to see what similar karat gold models sell for. Besides Omega.Bulova, Longines and Hamilton for example

not a lot of gold in women’s models, so a majority of the price will be on the name or jewels if added

I had an 18K WG one, pristine - almost unused, another Saphette, ended up selling sub $500 - but honestly it was my mistake in marketing

There's extremely low demand for vintage watches and even lower demand for ladies watches, $750 is very realistic

It might be a good idea to post watches abroad to get serviced, even if the round trip costs $50 - you'd likely get a better service for less

I bought this Omega Sapphette (marquise shape) from a vintage watch dealer, about 15 years ago. It is new old stock, 14-karat white gold. After market bracelet. The dealer had it in his inventory for many years, and when I asked his price, he told me he had $150.00 in it, and it was mine if I wanted it. Bingo! That was scrap gold value (before gold prices we see, today).

P1010184.jpeg

I think there’s a gulf between asking prices and selling prices for these very small, vintage ladies watches.
I’d be looking to pay slightly above gold price.
Edited:

While it does have interesting hidden lugs. I think the price is high and maybe closer to $400 on or about.

A square with round corners and a marquise shaped 18kt models sold on ebay for under $200

as mentioned above. Women’s models not great sellers and seen more as a jewellery piece accessory

check EBay’s completed auctions to see what similar karat gold models sell for. Besides Omega.Bulova, Longines and Hamilton for example

not a lot of gold in women’s models, so a majority of the price will be on the name or jewels if added
Thanks for this! I checked the seller's completed listings, but hadn't thought to look more generally at completed listings (duh). Now that I have, I see that prices can indeed be much lower--as in the range of $150-$400 for working women's watches in solid gold. Although I haven't yet seen anything that combines a recent service with (what appears to my eyes as) such nice condition. Plus the interesting design.

I had an 18K WG one, pristine - almost unused, another Saphette, ended up selling sub $500 - but honestly it was my mistake in marketing

There's extremely low demand for vintage watches and even lower demand for ladies watches, $750 is very realistic

It might be a good idea to post watches abroad to get serviced, even if the round trip costs $50 - you'd likely get a better service for less
Wow. Wish I had been around when you were selling that one! (I also regret missing your amazing women's c-shape of not long ago... ) But what has happened to the market for vintage watches in general? I've noticed a lot of comment in "Private Watch Sales" about how slow sales are... I know the economy's not great, plus lots of global uncertainty in general...

Wow. Wish I had been around when you were selling that one! (I also regret missing your amazing women's c-shape of not long ago... ) But what has happened to the market for vintage watches in general? I've noticed a lot of comment in "Private Watch Sales" about how slow sales are... I know the economy's not great, plus lots of global uncertainty in general...

Watches are a luxury item and not a necessity one. More important things come first. if you can afford a new (used) watch without affecting the items required for living. Thats great. For others. Watches on the back burner

Watches are a luxury item and not a necessity one. More important things come first. if you can afford a new (used) watch without affecting the items required for living. Thats great. For others. Watches on the back burner
That's why supermarkets sell pet food.
To cater for pets and watch collectors with no self control.

Won it! For a little over $300. I very much appreciate @kaplan thinking of me and this thread. In fact I was already bidding on the watch, but it was extremely encouraging to know that a bona fide OF collector also thought it might be promising. And now … will be waiting with bated breath for that UPS delivery!