Forums Latest Members
  1. c5driver Dec 26, 2019

I recently came across a 145.022-69 with a 220 bezel. It's a fantastic watch and the dial is very nice. The plots show a tad inconsistent wear, but it's part of the character and I will be leaving them untouched. The bezel has a few small flakes and is also in line with what I consider "honest wear", however with discussions about replacement DON or ghost bezels, I was curious if replacement 220 bezels even exist, seeing they were not a "normal" production item and whatever replacements may exist may happen only if the rest of the watch was scrapped.

Thoughts on where I may find one, if they exist, or perhaps the chips can be touched up?

Thank you.

2. abrod520 Dec 26, 2019

Rarely you can find a loose 220 bezel, but the only replacement bezels available from Omega for the regular, non-LE Speedmaster Professional are the standard tachy, deci and pulsometer bezels

c5driver likes this.
  3. OMEGuy Dec 26, 2019

Referring to the last part of your question, it would help if you posted a picture.

c5driver likes this.
  4. harrymai86 Dec 26, 2019

The 220 bezel was a mistake by Omega so why would Omega have a service replacement for it?

Socks, Denarius and airansun like this.
  5. ext1 Dec 26, 2019

Actually, maybe with the recent rise in fake DONs and 'replacement' vintage pulsations bezel etc, it's pretty possible that an 'aftermarket replacement' (read fake) 220 bezels might surface/be surfacing. Wouldn't be surprised.

That being said some people try repairing the chips with paint, with varying degrees of success.

c5driver likes this.
  6. c5driver Dec 27, 2019

They wouldn't, and that's why I said "whatever replacements may exist may happen only if the rest of the watch was scrapped."

7. c5driver Dec 27, 2019

Here it is:

Speedy.PNG

As you can see...it's relatively minor and I would only be interested in touching up the black parts and not the numerals or indices.

Pilot85 likes this.
  8. c5driver Dec 27, 2019

Yeah, I wouldn't be interested in a fake 220 bezel. The chip repair would have to be done by someone familiar with the process and not some DIY. I'd rather have the dial's original character and not some buggered up effort.

Pinoysurf likes this.
  9. OMEGuy Dec 27, 2019

This seems to be a good base. Since the scale and letters are quite intact, it will be possible to repair the chips with black paint (of the right consistence and finish) and obtain a major improvement. The area between 250 and 225 is a bit difficult, of course.

Needless to say that the bezel should be detached for the job...

c5driver likes this.
  10. joe band Dec 28, 2019

i'd be happy to wear that just as it it, not a safe queen, an honest 50 yr old beauty with earned wrinkles and grey hair.

geez... am i describing your watch or myself??

c5driver, gefmey and hanky6 like this.
  11. Denarius Dec 28, 2019

Looks a nice watch to me, sometimes we need to give these old Speedies a break as most didn't live in a safe for 50+ years, a good serviced movement combined with a few battle scars (patina) tells me the owner is an interesting person who appreciates watches but doesn't want to show off.

c5driver, steffe and Pinoysurf like this.
  12. Pilot85 Dec 29, 2019

I would leave it as it is.

Just imagine the work is not up to your expectations. now every time you look at your watch you see different shades of black on a ruined now non reparable bezel.

Is it worth the risk reward?

As you said wear it now with it's war scars and be happy :D

My opinion and be happy with whatever you end up doing :cool:

c5driver likes this.
  13. c5driver Dec 30, 2019

The watch, of course! Yes...I would tend to agree with you, as the appeal of a vintage watch (or cars even...) is in the character and history of the battle scars. As I said in my original post, I was just curious if this has been done or if any 220 bezels ever appear on the resale market.

14. c5driver Dec 30, 2019

I would concur with your opinion and will be appreciating this watch for everything it is.

Pilot85 likes this.
  15. Dan S Dec 30, 2019

Yes, I have occasionally seen 220 bezels for sale, e.g. on eBay. Of course, there would also be nothing wrong with replacing it by a standard DNN bezel.

c5driver likes this.
  16. harrymai86 Dec 30, 2019

Leave it like that. Look nice that way to me.

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
    c5driver likes this.
  17. kox Dec 30, 2019

c5driver likes this.
  18. BenBagbag Dec 30, 2019

But is it? This watch falls right in range for the 220 bezels. I wouldn't switch it up if it were me.

The 220 bezels are an interesting breed. You're talking about a very small market of people who have them, vs who need one at any given time. I'd guess the price can fluctuate wildly based on supply-demand more than the average DON or DNN bezel, for which there is a more "liquid" market, so to speak. I'd say if you're in the right place at the right time, you may luck out on a good one for a good price. Just don't get desperate or you'll be the one single-handedly pushing demand higher. ;)

19. c5driver Dec 30, 2019

I'm leaving it as is. An oblique concern was the chipped areas of the bezel flaking off even more, but I'm not going out of my way to swap anything out. If I happen across one, then so be it! If not, it's all good.

20. Dan S Dec 30, 2019

I was just speaking generally and giving the OP another option. In fact, I didn't even notice that the OP had posted the serial number, and I can't actually find it in the thread, but maybe I'm just missing it. In any case, my understanding is that misprinted and correct DNN bezels were used simultaneously.