Forums Latest Members
  1. Rogerg Jan 21, 2023

I recently acquired a 2627 Seamaster Calander in 14k with some issues. I knew the crown and stem needed replacing and thought the dial was probably redone due to the new (and badly done) lume. In talking to prospective repairers I have worked out a budget to overhaul the movement and replace the parts. I have located a complete watch with a missing gold bezel that has a complete movement with a very nice gold "sunburst" dial that all in would be cheaper than the parts (assuming I find a suitable original dial). My dilemma is what is the ramifications of switching out the movements. I believe the movements are very close in production years I would keep everything together and disclose the switch if ever sold just wrestling with the ?'s. What is the right way forward?
    [​IMG]

2. masteroftime Jan 21, 2023

Are you still getting the watch serviced? If so just have the watchmaker switch out the bridge with the serial number to the good movement you plan to use.

3. Dan S Jan 21, 2023

I can't understand the question, the only parts you mentioned replacing were the crown and stem. Anyway, assuming there are actual movement parts needed, just keep in mind that the complete movement you're considering using would also have to be serviced. And just because it's working doesn't mean that parts won't need replacing when it's carefully inspected. With luck, you will have enough good parts for one complete movement.

4. Rogerg Jan 21, 2023

I am planning to source an original dial as well and they aren't cheap but if I'm reading you right combining movement parts is accepted practice?

5. Canuck Jan 21, 2023

The movement in the subject watch might be a caliber 355, date at 6? And you have found a parts movement, I assume it is also a calibre 355? It would have to be, to make a suitable donor watch.

6. Dan S Jan 21, 2023

Now I am totally confused. You said that you found a parts watch with a dial.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 21, 2023

2627 houses a 353 so many 355 parts will fit as they both derive from the 330 base caliber, but it needs care when selecting parts.
    Example of 355 parts list.

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 14.48.55.png

8. Rogerg Jan 21, 2023

What I mean to say is that both movements are 353's and the "parts" watch is a complete runner with a beautiful dial for less than the parts to repair mine (if I buy an original dial)

9. Dan S Jan 21, 2023

I'm just going to bow out, unfortunately I can't follow you.

marco likes this.
  10. Rogerg Jan 21, 2023

Thanks for trying! Maybe I can clarify: I am deciding between buying new parts/original dial to "repair my existing movement or buying a complete running movement with an original dial to drop into my case. I was under the understanding that I'd be creating a "frankenwatch" if I did the latter and was unsure if that was frowned upon.

11. Dan S Jan 21, 2023

It's your watch, so do whatever will give you the most joy.

Beyond that, however, it's complicated and subjective. Repairing a movement by replacing internal parts is widely accepted. However, if the parts have a different finish, or if you replace parts with a serial number, it could affect the collectible value, if that matters to you. Replacing the dial, movement, etc. completely would be considered "frankenizing" or "optimizing" by purists, although it would probably be a matter of degree. Replacing the dial with an identical dial would be more acceptable for many. Unfortunately, since your dial is refinished, you'll probably never know if the replacement dial is identical.

At the risk of wading back into the original confusing question, if the second watch is complete except for the bezel, and has a great dial and a functional and complete movement, why not just swap in the bezel from the original watch that has the bad dial and movement?

12. Rogerg Jan 21, 2023

I'll wade back in to clarify that too. My watch is 14k completely while the donor is or rather was gold capped bezel on stainless case.

13. Dan S Jan 22, 2023

The gold-capped watch would have a solid gold bezel, though. So based on your answers, I would definitely put your proposals into the category of "watch optimization." You are certainly not the only one who does this.

janice&fred likes this.
  14. Rogerg Jan 22, 2023

I'm leaning toward the "optimization" route and keeping all the pieces so that a future owner can decide what to do with the two watches. He'd need to find a replacement for the missing gold bezel which would probably be even harder than finding a nice dial. That said, I would appreciate opinions on this dial which I believe is an example of what my dial is supposed to be. Thanks again to all!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 22, 2023

Dsloan likes this.
  16. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 22, 2023

You like repainted dials? If so, you found it.

Dsloan and MtV like this.
  17. Rogerg Jan 22, 2023

I was wondering about the back with the residue around the index pins! Thanks from an obvious vintage newbie! Now if you wouldn't mind one more?[​IMG]
    A slightly enhanced close up
    [​IMG]

18. Rogerg Jan 22, 2023

Very sound advice! In this instance I believe the price I paid for the gold watch/bracelet wouldn't even cover the bracelet if bought separately so in my mind sinking more into it isn't a big issue (within reason)

19. Rogerg Jan 23, 2023

Hello again! I have been made aware by the seller that the "donor" movement is actually a cal. 355 rather than a 353. The case ref's are the same so my next question is will a 355 movement fit into a case containing a 353?

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 23, 2023

Didn't you read my reply to your PM?