Forums Latest Members
  1. Whoknows Mar 19, 2023

Hello everyone.

Can anyone confirm whether this is a redial (this is what I’m leaning towards)…

Struggling with this one a bit as it is a textured dial hence the spacing/cursive won’t always be perfect even when in original state.

It was listed on eBay and ended today but I didn’t pull the trigger on it due to my suspicion of it being previously restored. I couldn’t find any Cosmics with this set of coloured hands either.

Any thoughts? Hour and minute hands look sloppy, or is it just me? Hoping I can educate myself a bit more for my future purchases!

E5DB0E3A-F793-483F-BA0E-436887750D3D.jpeg 233F2A38-C912-4692-B81C-87995CBAF1BB.jpeg
  2. Dan S Mar 19, 2023

The printing looks bad and I’m 90% sure it’s repainted, but it’s hard to say how much might be due to artifacts from the low resolution photos.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 19, 2023

A poor redial, incorrect hands and crown.

Mark020 and wagudc like this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 19, 2023

It looks like the tops of the 10, 11 and 12 markers are below the minute marks, while the rest of the markers are above the minute marks.

5. Whoknows Mar 19, 2023

Right. Clearly repainted. Didn’t even notice that the minute markers are not aligned. Thank you guys! I need to always remind myself of being watchful when buying on eBay. There’s plenty of untrustworthy sellers (this was a professional seller…) out there

6. tennjed Mar 20, 2023

Still suffering from insomnia. Dan S recently helped me, a newbie, sharpen my eye. Here are my observations.

1. The Omega symbol, in fact, the whole symbol and Omega name are not perfectly centered under the 12 marker.
    2. The "O" in Omega is not even close to being circular.
    3. The "M" in Omega looks like it is stretching out the right leg.
    4. The middle horizontal of the "E" in Omega is drooping.

Is the above too picky?

I guess a buyer should always insist on a photo wherein the Omega symbol and lettering is not obstructed by the hands.

Best,
    Wayne

7. Davidt Mar 20, 2023

Certainly a redial. Text is off/too thick and minute markers are unevenly spaced

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 20, 2023

Good to see you applying some forensic analysis to this. Keep it up.

After a while you'll just go "redial" the split second you see it.

At least, that's what I did. I didn't bother to look any further.

tennjed likes this.
  9. hoshimachi Mar 20, 2023

Not only that, but the "Seamaster" font is very messy. It looks like a doctor wrote it down. "Swiss Made" also looks very suspicious.
    The black part of the hands may also be repainted.

konung39 and tennjed like this.
  10. lucian23 Mar 20, 2023

I am still new in the "art" of spot redials but for this example i am happy that i also seen the several "defects" on this dial noted above. Thank you OF for learning.