Forums Latest Members

Removed: 1986 Omega Speedmaster 1450022 CRS

1. Boony Nov 20, 2019

Hi gang!

So I'm looking to scratch the vintage Tudor snowflake 'itch' I've had for some years now. But as is so often the case, I cannot justify one more piece entering the stable, without releasing one into the wide world. So I am hoping one of my fellow forum members will want to write the next chapter in the history of this wonderful watch.

I have six Speedmasters in my collection (a very meager number in comparison to many of your collections), so one of them had to go and I have to say its genuinely one of the prettiest of the lot! So why would I choose to sell it? Well, there's a number of reasons, all of which I am sure you guys will understand.

Three of the collection are 145022 variants. I have a -78 which has less impressive dial and bezel patina than this, but it is pretty close to untouched, perfect condition so it stays. I have a brown -69 also which is amazing and took a lot of time to procure from @Spacefruit, so that stays too. The others are my first speedy (sentimental fool!), my Ed White (with unpolished case, great patina, 1035 and 6-ends) and my 60th Anniversary (which adds a little bit of diversity)... so as you can see, a tough decision but I think the right one?

Now, I've nabbed what seems to be the standard template for selling watches from collections so here goes with a description. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. And if you're close to London and want to see the watch, I am sure we can get something arranged. My pictures were taken today with my iPhone X and yes, I am well aware that I will not be winning any photo competitions any time soon!

In terms of history, the watch came in to my ownership a little under a year ago, in December 2018. It was bought from a small regional auction house in Norfolk, and while I have nothing to corroborate the auction houses story, the watch was consigned by the original owner. In the last year, I have worn the watch within a 10 watch rotation so I would estimate its been on the wrist for less than a month during that time.

I have also just purchased an extract for the piece which confirms it was delivered to the UK on February 6th 1986. It also confirms that the watch shipped on a 1171 bracelet with 633 ends as are still present on the watch. Note that the extract is of the new type which is smaller and perhaps less impressive than the older style A4 certificates but such is progress!

Dial: The tritium dial is in perfect condition with an even, attractive yellow patina. The pictures probably dont' do the dial justice to be fair, it really is one that you can just stare at for hours.

Hands: Original handset shows the patina to be as expected. There is some slight cracking perhaps in the hour hand tritium but no sign of this becoming an issue. The paint is cosmetically perfect with no flaking. Sub-dial hands are also perfect.

Case: The case is in amazing shape with original case lines. The edges on this thing are super sharp; sharper even than my first Speedmaster which I bought from new in 2008. Aside from 3 small dings (case back and on the extreme inside ends of the lugs which you probably cannot see) there really is nothing on this watch that suggests its as old as it is. Its quite remarkable. This is a CRS case example.

Bezel:
    The original bezel is in great shape and has no noticeable nicks or scratches. It is not faced at all but in certain light the bezel has a very nice matte tone to it. It really works nicely with the dial color and marker patina and is truly a great look.

Movement: Movement is clean and with correct serial for this reference. I am not a watch maker or movement expert in any sense of the word but I have not observed any issues with its time keeping. The crown winds freely and builds the reserve with a satisfying clicking sound. * I am planning to get my watch maker ('@Ursmidur' for those of you on Instagram) to take a look at the movement before any sale goes through but didn't want to delay on getting this advert out there in the meantime. You can be sure therefore that the watch is in top order.

Bracelet: Sold with an original 1171 bracelet with correct 633 end links that is in very good condition with minimal stretch. The clasp makes a very satisfying 'snap' when opened or closed. It is also free from any dents or scratches and is in very good condition.

Again, these photos do not do the watch justice. The patina on the dial is a fantastic yellow colour and if you are interested (and not in London) then I will arrange some better pictures.

I am looking for £3500 for the watch and look forward to hearing from you.

wrist.jpg book shot.jpg Bracelet.jpg case back.jpg dust cover.jpg Movement.jpg extract1.jpg

OMEGuy, cooljme, Ttinbkk and 11 others like this.
  2. Boony Nov 24, 2019

ryankelly, 03Hemi, OMEGuy and 9 others like this.
  3. Boony Nov 26, 2019

Timing.jpg

Running strong and keeping great time!

cooljme, PCLB and MoclovFlop like this.
  4. Boony Nov 28, 2019

Here it is. Back from the watch maker and thank fully the chronometer hand just required adjusting. Nothing else to worry about! The watch looks perfect... now having issues letting it go?

21FE4082-B2A4-429B-942B-10B9B7D2963D.jpeg

03Hemi, ilayd, RMA and 4 others like this.
  5. Boony Dec 3, 2019

Bumping up with a picture of my old pet pheasant “Fessie”

6FD73C86-16DB-45B2-AEF2-807013A0A519.jpeg

astrand, CPRwatch, ryankelly and 2 others like this.
  6. Boony Dec 12, 2019

Worth a bump with a pic of my boy ‘Teddy’... he’s keeping a keen eye on election results this evening!

Lots of interest (in the watch, not the cat)... it’s an amazing piece. Price is fair and firm. Let’s get this sold for Xmas.
    2DDF73D3-3273-4C51-9DC5-99C1227EE18E.jpeg

03Hemi and NikolShep like this.
  7. 03Hemi Dec 16, 2019

Does the cat come with it?

8. Boony Dec 17, 2019

Now decided not to sell... it’s been a journey

Sidnos, astrand and Ian_km like this.