Reissued watches, 50 years from now

A few weeks ago I was at a talk with Jupp Philip, head of Fortis watches. He was talking about how their refreshed lineup was all about current design, and they stayed away from vintage inspired design. My first thought was “what a bummer, I love the vintage vibe”. However, considering that today’s classics were modern and exiting back in the day, I started to wonder how a new Fortis would be viewed in 50 years, could it be coveted like we covet an arrowhead Connie?

Further down the rabbit hole of introspection, and finally getting to my question, how will the modern reissues be viewed 50 years from now? Staying away from watches as investments, and just pondering for fun:

Will a 2024 Hamilton Ventura or a Longines Heritage Conquest (as examples) be held in awe in 2074? Or will it be “oh that’s one of those early 2020 reissues, hard pass”?

Is a reissued watch just “fun for now”or are they special enough and built well enough to pass down to someone?

Is a reissued watch just “fun for now”or are they special enough and built well enough to pass down to someone?
I think the Seamaster Trilogy would fall in the latter category IMHO:

It can be great to reissue 50 years later a watch that was great herself...

_20230510_214805.JPG

No replica Hamilton Ventura for me! Not ever! I had a guy “nibbling” on this, recently. But because this 65 year old completely original Ventura isn’t perfect, he wanted it for the price of 14-karat gold scrap! Yeah! Like really!

IMG_2089.jpeg

No replica Hamilton Ventura for me! Not ever! I had a guy “nibbling” on this, recently. But because this 65 year old completely original Ventura isn’t perfect, he wanted it for the price of 14-karat gold scrap! Yeah! Like really!

IMG_2089.jpeg

that’s a stunner 🥰

Maybe the Breitling Navitimer 806 1959 Re-Edition

I think the classics will endure (including remakes). The longer something is around the more likely it will stick around.

I think they will be viewed like reproductions of antiques, can be decorative and high-quality, but no collectible interest.

No matter its styling, any of today’s mechanical watches are retro.

Modern watches that will get a remake.

SKX

2500 Planet Ocean 42mm

we are in a resurgence of watches still in the past. Few watches are really original and timeless.

The 1st Gen PO is modern with nods to the past and the later PO’s are not as clean as the first Gen.

The SKX was the culmination and end of the line of the original Seiko divers and the 5kx replacements are not the same. ( and I have multiple SKX and a 5kx)

Modern watches that will get a remake.

SKX

2500 Planet Ocean 42mm

we are in a resurgence of watches still in the past. Few watches are really original and timeless.

The 1st Gen PO is modern with nods to the past and the later PO’s are not as clean as the first Gen.

The SKX was the culmination and end of the line of the original Seiko divers and the 5kx replacements are not the same. ( and I have multiple SKX and a 5kx)

Actually came here to mention this exact planet ocean, I do think we're going to see it reappear in the future.