Forums Latest Members
  1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 4, 2022

Coming home safe from overseas(Korea) in Dec '72, I treated myself to a nice camera, a stereo system, 4 tailored suits and a good watch.

I couldn't fit in the suits in a few months, the camera and the stereo broke component by component but the watch is still with me and will be passed on to my Son.

A tribute to Omega quality and to the good fortune that seems to have followed me.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

PC040007.JPG

Edited Dec 4, 2022
    lillatroll, NikolShep, JanV and 128 others like this.
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 4, 2022

Yea Jim!

I thought this was going to be about you and Mrs. Buck.

An Omega watch makes a good second fiddle to Mrs. Buck. And a very handsome watch it is too!

We're grateful to you for your service and grateful that you returned safely in '72.

Alpha, janice&fred, Syrte and 9 others like this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 4, 2022

We are 50 in April and planning a trip similar to the one you just got home from my friend.

felsby, Difeer, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
  4. Davidt Dec 4, 2022

I was expecting a golden wedding update as well!

Beautiful watch, it’s mainly the history that attracts me to vintage watches and the fact that it’s your families history with this one is incredible.

All the best for the upcoming anniversary

watchyouwant and UncleBuck like this.
  5. Canuck Dec 4, 2022

Years ago, I worked for a Rolex dealer. One day, I spotted a fellow eying the selection in the Rolex showcase. I approached him, and greeted him. He told me that in the spring of each year for the previous 17 years, he had drooled over Rolex watches, but had never bought. I asked him what watch he was wearing that day. It was a time only (no seconds hand), slim Seiko Lassale, gold colour case, white dial, Roman numerals, black crocodile strap. Looked new, looked classy. I suggested that he likely had a sock drawer of similar watches at home which were still serviceable, but that he was no longer wearing because they no longer excited him. He looked at me quizzically, and asked how I knew. I told him that he really didn’t need just another watch whose only purpose was to tell the time. That now was the time to buy a watch that fulfilled every other subconscious need of his. He bought the GMT Master that day. Other stuff (stereo sets, cameras, clothes of the current fashions), all that stuff comes and goes. The right watch is always there.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 4, 2022

Looks like it's in fabulous condition, obviously something you still treasure all these years later.

Mr. O, wagudc and UncleBuck like this.
  7. Vol375 Dec 4, 2022

I have to agree. I have my fathers Speedmaster he bought new in December of 1975.

Mr. O, Mad Dog and UncleBuck like this.
  8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 4, 2022

30 years in a sock drawer, Norman!

9. kaplan Dec 4, 2022

Wow congrats and happy holidays!

You have very good watchmaker picks too I guess, it's hard to keep things that undamaged

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 4, 2022

Last serviced by an OF member @N2FHL, a great dude that has been quiet for many years and I believe has retired.

As far as undamaged, the 30 years in a sock drawer was paramount.

Shabbaz, noelekal and kaplan like this.
  11. Difeer Dec 4, 2022

Amazing condition, and nice watch indeed! Hope it stays in your family for another 50 years.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go take a closer look at my sock drawer :p

UncleBuck and noelekal like this.
  12. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 4, 2022

Beautiful watch, do you also still have the original box and papers? I would love to see more photos and your son is a lucky guy.

13. Kraal90 Dec 5, 2022

Beautiful watch. This is what makes mechanical watches so great. In a world where consume and throw away is the standard practice quality mechanical watches stand the test of time.

Mr. O and UncleBuck like this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 5, 2022

When I saw the title, I thought Jimbo had got sentimental.

I can't blame him, his lovely Queen has been by his side and put up with his watch meanderings without complaint ::love::.
    But when I saw it was one of the best soccer timers in existence, the penny dropped.
    Always a pleasure to see that one Jimbo.

noelekal and UncleBuck like this.
  15. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Dec 5, 2022

I agree. I do however still use my 1985 Nikon FM2 from time to time :cool:

16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 5, 2022

No, I tossed all that stuff right away, it was just packaging you know.

What really stings is getting rid of the 1170 bracelet because it pulled hairs and was uncomfortable.
    I really regretted that one until my mate @JimInOz and his lovely lady hooked me up with an Omega shark mesh 7 or 8 years ago.

17. RI Omega Fan Dec 5, 2022

Jim,

Congratulations for owning such an awesome watch and for being so successful in marriage - both for 50 years! I know you folks have a big anniversary trip planned in April; we’ll continue to talk offline and share details and advice.
    Stay happy and healthy, my friend!

Pete

noelekal, FREDMAYCOIN and UncleBuck like this.
  18. rspace Dec 8, 2022

Wow! What a watch and story … best wishes for both the anniversaries!

UncleBuck likes this.
  19. 502 to right Dec 9, 2022

Lovely watch. I was in Korea twice compliments of Uncle Sam. I haven't had soju since!

joe band, noelekal and UncleBuck like this.
  20. Cougar1968 Dec 10, 2022

Beautiful watch and awesome story. Love hearing how a nice watch has lasted while many other things don’t over the years.

UncleBuck likes this.