Forums Latest Members

Regulating The Omega 1120 Movement Question?

1. David S Jun 2, 2020

Hello again. Forgive me this may sound like a stupid question for some. I’m going to attempt to regulate my Omega Seamaster 2232 with 1120 movement which is running -20 spd. The question is when I turn the fine adjustment screw does the movement need to be running or in the hacked position? I really appreciate the help and look forward to dedicating more time to this forum and Omega watches in the future. Cheers

2. Bimmerman77 Jun 2, 2020

You’re a brave man lol. I regulated a SKX once and it actually worked great, and since they can’t be hacked it ran the entire time. Never tried it on a higher end piece. I leave that to the pros

Turpinr likes this.
  3. David S Jun 2, 2020

Hello. 2 weeks ago I ruined my SKX . I accidentally pricked the balance wheel and spring and now it’s running +999 spd.

4. Bimmerman77 Jun 2, 2020

If you couldn’t regulate the seiko why ruin the 1120? I figured if I screwed my skx up I’d just toss it in the trash. Not so much with the Omega

jeelan likes this.
  5. wsfarrell Jun 2, 2020

If you don't already have one, I'd recommend getting a TimegrapherPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network on eBay. This would allow you to adjust the watch in real time, while it's running--and in various positions, if you wanted. Sure there's risk, so do it carefully. The feeling of accomplishment is great!

6. ExpiredWatchdog Jun 2, 2020

Last weekend I did a study on every dried up watch I could find in the house. I discovered that a Weishi 1900 can sync on a watch that's really out of adjustment. If the rate exceeds +-999 it shows four underscores. It did lose sync on a couple in certain positions, but it was rare. I tested seven watches if I remember correctly.

Turpinr likes this.
  7. pascs Jun 2, 2020

I think if you have messed up the adjustment of an SKX movement I would not attempt an Omega.
    The movement adjustment method of both these watches would be quite different, the 1120 should have the adjustment screw so in that respect it is easier than say a Seiko SKX movement where you have to move the regulator arm, but the fact the 1120 is running -20 spd I would suspect it actually needs a service.
    The movement should be set with it running, as it needs to be running for the timing machine to work. Trying to set watch timing without a timing machine is so hit or miss it really is a pain to do. Also the timing machine can give at least some basic idea of what condition the watch movement is in.
    If you dont have the correct tools or skills I would take the watch to someone who does, they can then open the watch without damaging it, put it on a timing machine and set the timing accurately and also check the watch is water tight once its back together as the seals may also need replacing if the watch has not been serviced recently.

8. sokard Jun 3, 2020

I agree with pascs, even if you are familiar with opening the watch and regulating it, I wouldn't touch the regulator without the watch on a timegrapher. This is the only way/machine to use and fine regulate a watch movement.

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 3, 2020

He’ll need a pressure tester too. DIY on dive watches gets expensive if you want to do it right.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2020

To answer your question, it does not matter. However most regulating is done with the watch running and on a timing machine in order to see the effects of the change you just made.

Note that trying to regulate a watch that may need servicing will be a frustrating and fruitless endeavor.

Cheers, Al

Turpinr and rott like this.
  11. David S Jun 3, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. I have a Timegrapher. After really messing up that SKX I’m just hesitant to try it on the Omega. I was only planning on turning the fine adjustment screw and would think the chances of ruining the watch would be slim. Here’s a photo of the watch.

4D5619F7-5B25-4568-8750-4A7C879D6D3B.jpeg
    Turpinr, pascs and Nickyrods19 like this.
  12. Nickyrods19 Jun 3, 2020

David where do you live? My man john zangler in queens new york regulated mine. Literally took him 2 minutes to do..

13. David S Jun 3, 2020

San Francisco. I know an independent watch maker but he’s not at his shop at the moment. I guess I’ll just wait maybe. I just read that there an antimagnetic plate underneath the case back as well. I’m nervous I may break something.

14. David S Jun 3, 2020

If I tried to regulate this Omega I’d be crazy. Good thing it runs +1 spd.

B803EE24-4894-48CE-8B06-86642F59A747.jpeg
  15. pascs Jun 3, 2020

Its very straight forward, its just a cover which needs to be removed and nothing complex. My concern is that its very easy to scratch or damage a watch, I've open a couple of my friends watches only to find scratches on the case back, finger prints and scratches inside as well as gaskets in poor or damaged condition, all which have occurred by someone not taking the necessary care.

BTW what is your plan with the SKX? There is a big market for these so I'm sure you'd have no problem to sell it, or even to have someone replace the SKX movement with an NH36 movement, which is a very popular mod giving hacking and manual winding option to the SKX

Nickyrods19 likes this.
  16. Canuck Jun 3, 2020

That eccentric regular screw can be a bear to turn, the slot is usually shallow, and not as well defined as I feel it should be. And the design of the regulator is such that if the regulator screw is 180° out of phase, turning the screw toward the + or - symbol can have the reverse effect on time adjustment. Please get back to us when you find out how much a balance complete for that watch will cost once you b _ _ _ _ r it up, and if you will Be able to find someone with an Omega account will even do it for you!