Forums Latest Members
  1. Luca.P Jan 21, 2020

Hi folks,
    I tried to educate myself a little about the dials of the Speedy Ref. 105012 lately - closed T´s, wide spaced T´s, asymetrical T´s, no T´s - and I noticed that there seems to be some variation in the thickness and length of the tritium indexes. I think the photo below from Speedmaster101 shows pretty well what I mean exactly: P5250003-004.jpg
    They are both Ref. 105012s, the left one with closed T´s and the right with wide spaced T´s. My question is: do all closed T dials have tritium indexes that extend further outward? And does that mean that the seconds and miliseconds track on the closed T dials is also moved further outward to the edge of the dial than on the open T dials?
    Please can somebody enlighten me.

All the best
    Luca

Edited Jan 23, 2020
    Tri-national-man likes this.
  2. ndgal Jan 21, 2020

Do you know if both watches in this picture have the original lume?

3. Pinoysurf Jan 22, 2020

The two dials are the same as far as the tritium marker length and sec/milisec length. I believe what you are seeing is two watches photographed from differnet distances. One is closer to the camera than the other. The markers look longer because one watch is closer. The only difference between close T and wide T dials is the 'OMEGA ' and 'Speedmaster' print. Actually, the close T probably has a double bevel caseback which would most likely put it closer to the camera.

Edited Jan 22, 2020
  4. Luca.P Jan 22, 2020

Hey ngdal! Nice to have an expert on board here.

Unfortunately I don‘t know who runs the site (I assume he‘s on this forum?), but I just used this as an example because its very obvious here but I think its noticable in the examples below also (first: wide spaced T‘s, second: closed T‘s):
    4256BA4F-BEB9-4188-AF30-B4C7E3323CDD.jpeg 7B3B33ED-3D0F-4BE0-A992-BE4805D80AD4.jpeg

Edited Jan 23, 2020
  5. Luca.P Jan 22, 2020

I appreciate your input, but how do you explain the markers being thinner? That would be some weird optical illusion. And if that were true the whole watch would look bigger in the picture, not just the indexes

6. Seaborg Jan 22, 2020

Luca.P likes this.
  7. Nla91 Jan 22, 2020

This is simply dial variations. Narrow T and Wide T dials are from different batches, and small tweaks were made, when new dials went into production. The wide T dials looks like they have little wider markers. That's all.

Pinoysurf likes this.
  8. Luca.P Jan 23, 2020

Hi Romega,
    as far as I´m aware your definition of the wide spaced T´s is correct in that the T´s are located just before the 28 and 32 minute marker. The close T dials are very similar in that the T´s are located just 1/5th of a second closer to the 30 minute marker.
    Wide T´s:
    Wide spaced T´s.jpg
    Close T´s:
    Closed T´s.jpg
    The difference is very small but definitely there. Here is also a helpful guide on Speedmaster printings: http://chronomaddox.com/speedy_dial_details.html

Maybe you can show me a picture of the T´s closer to the 30 minute mark, because I´m not sure if I know what you mean.

Cheers!

9. Luca.P Jan 23, 2020

Right, different dials different printings - makes sense. However you didn´t address the length of the tritium indexes. I would like to know if they are actually longer on the closed T dials. Because if they were longer and stretched outwards towards the edge of the dial, that would mean that the 1/5th of a second markers would also have to be moved further outwards to align with the tritium indexes. And if that´s the case, does the allignment of the Spear Chronograph Seconds hand in relation to the markers also change? Because in my first example the seconds hand of the wide T variant (right) overlays the 1/5th seconds markers and in the closed T variant (left) it points at them.
    P5250003-004.jpg

I´m just curious to know if other people have observed this and maybe know a little more about it.

10. Luca.P Jan 23, 2020

Oh you´re right haha. That was just me being stupid. Obviously it´s the other way round. Thanks for making me aware of it!

Romega likes this.
  11. billythekid Jan 23, 2020

small T , smaller indices