Forums Latest Members

SOLD RECORD Geneve, 1954, Jumbo 37mm, with beautiful Guilloche Dial and very cool Handset and Hour Track

1. pnwyankee Jun 2, 2021

The case is in great shape, free from large dings and deep gouges. There are some light scratches from use over the years but the case has retained its original lines.
    The straight lugs are slightly angled downward and coming from this thin case, that measures in just above 9mm thick, makes this dressy watch comfortable to wear and versatile for many wrist sizes.
    The lug spacing is 19mm and the watch will come fitted with a Brand New leather strap as shown in the pictures.

Here is a short history of the RECORD WATCH COMPANY....
    Record was founded in 1903 in the Swiss town of Tramelan in the Bernese Jura. The company was formed by a conglomerate who wanted to acquire and realize the patent of the Sector Watch, a triangular pocket watch with retrograde display – a highly unusual design at the time. Record once enjoyed a reputation for high precision and was therefore chosen to provide various armed forces around the world with service watches.
    Many of their timepieces were provided with an official chronometer certificate, while the company was also known for its moonphase calendar watches (look out for the beautiful Datofix models at auction) and chronographs. The company produced its own movements (its first automatic was released in 1944), but used Venus hand-wound calibres for its chronographs.
    US vintage watch dealer Robert Maron, writing on his website about a Record rattrapante chronograph from the 1930s that passed through his hands, described its Calibre 179 movement as “on a par with some of the finest chronograph movements we have ever seen, regardless of manufacture or price… built to the same quality as a comparable Patek Philippe movement.”
    In 1961 Record lost its independence when it was acquired by Longines (based in the neighbouring municipality of Saint Imier) through a purchase of shares. Subsequently, watches were produced with the double signature “Record Longines”, and were made with ETA calibres. Record limped along until 1991 when production finally ceased.
    However “new” Record watches live on, in a manner of speaking, through the Zeno watch company of Basel, which uses old Record pocket watch movements in its limited edition models.
    End.

Record Watch 1952 ad.jpg

Once again, a very attractive vintage timepiece from the mid-50's in a hard to find "jumbo" size with great wrist presence. The Dial and Handset provide reason enough to give this one some serious wrist time.
    Sold on a Brand New deBeer ( Paris ) Ostrich Grain Leather Strap.
    The watch is running well but has not been serviced while in my possession.
    Price: $795, plus $23 for insured conus shipping
    Will ship Internationally after conversation with the buyer regarding additional costs for their preferred shipping service.
    Here is a link to all of my references here on OF: https://omegaforums.net/search/16018909/?q=pnwyankee&o=date&c[node]=10
    My eBay feedback is 475 feedback ratings: 100% positive ( happy to provide further detail )

Thanks OF for the space.

I have taken many pictures in different lighting conditions as I would encourage you to consider all of these pictures as an important part of the description.
    I "borrowed" the wrist shot from the previous owner, whose wrist size is 7.25"

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

Record Geneve-5.jpg Record Geneve in shade-3.jpg Record Geneve in shade-4.jpg

Record Geneve in shade-5.jpg

Wrist Shot- 7.25%22.jpg

Mafkees, MtV, rbob99 and 25 others like this.
  2. pnwyankee Jun 6, 2021

Thanks for all the "likes"

3. pnwyankee Jun 10, 2021

Bump up

4. pnwyankee Jun 13, 2021

I'll have another BUMP please

5. pnwyankee Jun 16, 2021

bump up

6. Flatfoot Jun 20, 2021

Good to see its OHPF. This one has called out to me with its Jumbo size, guilloche dial and a clean design. Hope it stays in the OF family- I’d like to see it on WRUW in the future.

pnwyankee likes this.
  7. gbesq Jun 20, 2021

It will remain in the OF family and I will give it a good home. Thanks to pnwyankee. Good seller.

Flatfoot and pnwyankee like this.
  8. gbesq Jun 21, 2021

So I spoke with my watchmaker who is going to inspect and service the watch after I’ve received it. He’s a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge about vintage watches and he told me right away that the watch is powered by an A. Schild manual caliber. For those in the OF community who are interested, and who know as much or even less than I do (not sure that’s even possible), here’s a bit of history on A. Schild:

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=A._Schild

Edited Jun 21, 2021
    noelekal likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 21, 2021

Say what? How would he know that?

I'd be willing to place a small wager that it is not an A. Schild caliber, given that Record typically made their own movements in-house.

Rochete and cineaste like this.