Forums Latest Members

Recommended Zenith Watches On Ebay (Not Inquires)

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 12, 2012

That's what I think too. Fonts are wrong, the whole thing is overinked and I've never seen a silver finish like that on any vintage subdial on the far side of 1970. I'd love to see your 106-6 that looks similar.

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 13, 2012

There are now some additional photos of the A384 mentioned above. Edges are probably within MMMD tolerances, but do they meet the LouS standard, i.e. can this watch do double-duty as a grater for your parmigiano reggiano?

3. ulackfocus Dec 13, 2012

Happiness is a case edge so crisp you can slice tomatoes with them. ;) Same with the pleat in my slacks.

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 13, 2012

DSC00531.jpg
    Not looking similar Lou but a silvered (albeit) guilloche sub-dial.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 13, 2012

Here's another interesting question.

Let's say you own a G381 El Primero and the dial is faded or a bit tatty. If you were to but this......

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Zenith-El-Pr...rmbanduhren&hash=item1c2e3d103d#ht_5130wt_906Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

..... and use the dial on your movement in the original case - thus improving its value - nobody would ever know. It isn't a service dial, it isn't a franken and it isn't a refurbished dial. It looks like a nice example of a G381.

Come to think about it, if the movement works well, why even take the dial off - after all the movements don't have serial numbers.

Before anybody asks, I have a G582, not a G381 and they made 600 G582s against 700 G381s, but the cases are the same.

So the question is, would you do it and would you consider it cheating? Is it any different from using any other second hand part in the watch?

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 13, 2012

For me it's not cheating at all, as long as the parts are truly indistinguishable... no mucking with serial numbers, etc. Of course, I'm the guy who's assembling his own Espada, and more matchmaker than watchmaker, but I think this sort of thing is a fun part of the game. Recognizing that others might feel differently, I wouldn't misrepresent these exchanges when selling, but I suspect many collectors feel the same way I do.

7. ulackfocus Dec 13, 2012

I just put a NOS replacement dial on my late 50's Omega Genève. It had a bad redial, so I consider it making the watch correct to factory specs again - which is different than original, but just as good to me. If I ever sell it I'll disclose that the dial was replaced with an authentic Omega part identical to original. Better than a redial in my book!

Back in WWII broken Jeeps were cannibalized to make working ones. They were still all correct parts, just not original.

Cheating? No - unless you aren't honest about it when you go to sell it and attempt to pass it off as a watch with all the exact original parts as it came from the factory.

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 13, 2012

That's not a G 381 dial -- it belongs to ref G 581. Roessler misidenfies it. These are available because people melt the gold cases, and they are used most often as replacements for A 384 dials - got an example of that around here someplace - but even there there are differences.

I don't have a G 581 to post, but if Chris will be so kind as to post his, you can compare it with this G 381 to see the differences.
    [​IMG]

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 13, 2012

Ah, yes, you've shown that before - I love it. But I still think the other is a redial

10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 13, 2012

Please address the cheese-grating issue.

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 13, 2012

Yes, sorry, I meant to and I forgot. The additional pics are very reassuring. I'd call 'em good. The little wrinkle is that I can clearly read the case number: 231E746. There are no "E" series A 384s. Prolly just a caseback switch, but odd.

I'd give this one a buy at the right price.

12. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 14, 2012

Yeesh. Wrong case back knocks it down a few pegs for me. Possibly a deal-breaker. What are the possibilities? Case back taken from another model? Dial and hands swapped into an A 385/3817/3818? Replacement case back from Zenith? Maybe the whole watch was a special order? Can I live with the uncertainty?

13. ulackfocus Dec 14, 2012

Frankenstein.jpg

14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 14, 2012

No, no, don't alarm the villagers. This watch means you no harm. It's really the RIGHT case back in all respects except perhaps the case serial number (not the reference number... I think...). I'm not ready to use the F-word here.

15. ulackfocus Dec 14, 2012

Pitchforks and torches retracted. :p

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 14, 2012

well, it's either a replaced case or a replaced dial, so a franken by the strict definition. It's just that the case is a correct case for the dial and vice versa. I don't have a problem with it on those grounds, but it makes me want to see a movement shot before dropping my hard earned on it

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 15, 2012

I actually think the case looks pretty good. At least to my eye, the rest of his pictures suggest not much (if any) case polishing was done on the watch. It also looks like the bids are slowly coming as well and it is being watched by a bunch of people.

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 18, 2012

19. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 18, 2012

Something like a fraternal twin. This is the version of the Zenith Espada sold in the USA, branded Movado (the two companies were part of the same holding company in the early '70's) to circumvent trademark issues with the Zenith radio corporation. The Astronic is actually more rare than the Espada by production numbers but certainly seen more commonly than the Espada at auction, so clutched less firmly by collectors. The major difference is jewel count - the 3019 PHF's chronograph has been de-jeweled to bring the count down from 31 to 17 and thus save on American import duties (like the Movado Datron). The hour markers are different than the Espada (and to my eye better looking)... apart from these differences, it is a straight-up Espada. As is the case with many Astronics, the crown and clasp are replacements, but this otherwise looks like a pretty sweet example... probably will go between $3.5 - 4k.
    I can see it's time to start a Movado-Zenith thread... will try to get this going later today.

20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 19, 2012

This is a good idea.