Forums Latest Members
  1. rf53 Sep 3, 2019

Hello,

My daily driver is a Speedmaster and that is not likely to change anytime soon. However, in an effort to get down to a nice two watch collection I am looking for suggestion regarding a GMT that I can use as a second / travel watch. It can be modern or vintage (since vintage these days seems to be 10 or more years old). Here is what I am looking for:

Time / GMT (jumping hour hand)
    41mm or smaller
    Dressy / Sports
    At least 150m WR
    Pre-owned is fine
    Less than $3000 USD

All suggestions welcome, but tell me why. Thanks!

Edited Sep 3, 2019
    Deltatango and OmeGez like this.
  2. OmeGez Sep 3, 2019

For the budget - I think the new Tudor GMT trumps all, although a 42mm, If I remember correctly. You’ll get a brand new watch for your budget also.

64Wing likes this.
  3. WatchCor Sep 3, 2019

My vote for the tudor GMT. Very nice, vintage inspired, classy and versatile. If you can get obe with the vintage inspired riveted bracelet.

4. abrod520 Sep 3, 2019

Even at flipper prices the Zodiac Aerospace GMT and the Yema Superman GMT fit the bill. (The Yema isn't out yet but I expect many to be flipped the way they all are nowadays)

Also - not only is the Tudor GMT not under 41mm, it's also not under 3k. You can't buy one new right now or for a while, so you'll be paying flipper prices for that, which stand at between 3500-4k US.

Wivac likes this.
  5. rf53 Sep 3, 2019

I really like the Tudor GMT but it is a bit bulky and your are correct, it is 42mm. My Speedy is also 42mm but the Speedy's case is actually 40mm and the 42mm includes the lug guards so it is actually a 40mm watch. Also, I am looking for something under 3K USD. If I could find a Tudor GMT for under 3K USD, I would buy two! Even grey they are running over 4K and usually on backorder.

Edited Sep 3, 2019
    Deltatango likes this.
  6. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 3, 2019

7. Taybharr Sep 3, 2019

If you can sacrifice on your WR rating, I think the Nomos Tangomat GMT is a very appealing dressy and slim package. Tried one on the other day and felt great on the wrist. If you have a Speedmaster already, I think this pairing would be excellent for pretty much any occasion (Speedy for sporty, Nomos for dressy). Can find new ones on the grey market for less than 3k USD (I'm assuming your sign is reversed in your initial description...).

8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 3, 2019

I really like this one: Seamaster GMT 50th anniversary. There's a white dial version as well a.k.a. The Great White. Made in the mid- to late-1990s, always a few for sale on any given day.

Time / GMT (jumping hour hand): check, check, check
    41mm or smaller: hmm..probably 42mm and some say it wears a little large
    Dressy / Sports: check
    At least 150m WR: originally 300m but should be serviced & pressure tested if you want to dunk it good
    Pre-owned is fine: plenty of them out there
    > $3000 USD: typically listed at $US 2,400 to $US 2,800; I recently saw a Great White listed at $3,200

D23_GMT_190123a.jpg

9. jzra Sep 3, 2019

I'm looking for almost the same specs as my daily watch..

Tudor GMT was the first on my list but I'm tending to give up on it for two reasons:

It wears a little large on my wrist

The date change issue.. too much people complainting about and I don't have a Tudor representative near to me to fix when or if it happens.

10. rf53 Sep 3, 2019

I like this watch (both the black and great white) and if I could find one in good condition at a decent price I would definitely be a buyer. The problem is that most offerings have pretty scratched up bezels, and the ones that don't, often have aftermarket non-OEM bezel replacements. If anyone has one they are thinking about selling that is in good condition, all original, with box and papers, feel free to PM.

Otherwise, keep the suggestions coming!

Deltatango and Jones in LA like this.
  11. rf53 Sep 3, 2019

12. gostang9 Sep 3, 2019

Jones in LA likes this.
  13. rf53 Sep 3, 2019

Thanks! I have heard some really good things about Farer. I have also looked seriously at the Monta Atlas. The only thing that holds me back is that to me the asking price seems to be a bit high for micros without much of a track record. Having said that, Worn and Wound, among others seems to be pretty high on these.

Anyone own a Christopher Ward C65 GMT? This is also a watch I have considered, and it costs much less than the Farer or Monta. Nevertheless, 1K USD is a big ask and I want to make sure it is a solid watch before I put it on the very short list.

14. rf53 Sep 3, 2019

Also, before anyone mentions it, I am aware that the Farer, Monta, and CW have ETA 2893-2 movements and do not have the jumping hour hand I listed in my OP. Taking the step down in price from >3K to these watches has that consequence. Nevertheless, if something comes up with undeniable quality and it is worth the asking price I am definitely willing to listen.

I am beginning to realize that there is a gap in this market. Someone needs to make a sub 40mm GMT with a jumping hour hand at >3K USD!

15. gostang9 Sep 3, 2019

FYI — using the > sign before a number means “greater than” that number.

If you want to say “less than 3k”, it would be <3k.

16. gostang9 Sep 3, 2019

I have a great GMT for > 3k...

A5570CF4-2EFD-4508-AF84-29C9CB60261A.jpeg

17. rf53 Sep 3, 2019

Check, that is why in my second post I corrected what I meant. Still, that makes little sense to me since the point end means less than.
    5 < 10 means 5 is less than 10 right? Who knows? Maybe 19 years of education were totally wasted!! Full disclosure, not a math major! Anyway, I edited the posts to prevent further misunderstanding. Thanks.

18. gostang9 Sep 3, 2019

Yes, 5 < 10 is true, and means 5 less than 10.

We were taught to think of it as Pacman’s mouth, always hungry for the biggest value. So whatever side the mouth is open to is the greater value. When it opens to the right, the first value is smaller and therefore we say “less than”.

Paulomega likes this.
  19. rf53 Sep 3, 2019

Thanks! Now let's make this about the watches!

Millenary Watches likes this.
  20. zinengineer Sep 3, 2019

I've also had my eye on one of these, maybe a bit too much $$ for what you get, but i'd look at it as a traveling watch and one that I wouldn't feel bad about beating up, and/or somehow getting "lost" going through security.