Forums Latest Members
  1. HenrikM Apr 2, 2018

Hello.

This is my first post, and might be my first purchase of a vintage omega watch. However the seller doesn't have any authentication papers or anything to proof the authentication. Personally, I don't have the experience or knowledge like most of you lovely people out there. I would like to know whether this watch is real or fake. Keep in mind that the the seller only has good feedback, and not a single bad feedback.

Thank you so much in advanced, and I really hope the result comes out positive.

I can't wait to start my watch collection with a beautiful Omega watch.

s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-8.jpg s-l1600-9.jpg s-l1600.jpg
  2. BenBagbag Apr 2, 2018

Welcome to vintage watch collecting. It's real.

Do you have other questions about the watch? :)

3. w154 Apr 2, 2018

Just to check, you do know it's plated rather than solid gold. I only ask because if the thread title...

4. HenrikM Apr 2, 2018

Yes I do know! I just forgot to put it in the title!;))

5. HenrikM Apr 2, 2018

I have so many questions! And I absolute love how fast you respond! Great work!

All the vintage Omega's have "swiss made" at the bottom of the dial? This doesn't why is that?

Is manual winding a huge pain in the ass? And exactly how do you do it? I wouldn't wanna break it!

I would also like to know if you think 250GBP is a solid price? In my opinion I think it's a solid price!

mydeafcat likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Apr 2, 2018

I would avoid this piece.

First off - there is loss of gold plating on the case, which destroys the value.
    Secondly - it's a frankenstein piece. That case goes with an earlier Seamaster dial and automatic movement, not a much later Genève dial and manual wind movement... There is about 10 years between the case and movement/dial.

Look up "Omega GX 6250" and you'll see a number of different variants.

7. HenrikM Apr 2, 2018

I don't see any loss of gold plating on the case, and is it a problem that there is about 10 years between the case and movement/dial? This isn't meant as a mad question, im just not an expert on this subject!;)

8. ConElPueblo Apr 2, 2018

It's a major issue. There is basically no worth in the watch besides that of the parts... And 601's aren't exactly uncommon.
    It's pretty clear to me that the case has been heavily polished and lost the gold plating in places. Look at the edges of the lugs for instance - both front and rear.

9. HenrikM Apr 2, 2018

I can see it now! And thank you so much for the helping information! I were just so happy to find this watch - Not so more!

For one last question, which vintage Omega can you find for about 250GBP? And which are worth the price?

10. tdn-dk Apr 2, 2018

11. HenrikM Apr 2, 2018

12. ConElPueblo Apr 2, 2018

You should be able to find a pretty nice example of the watch that originally housed that dial, actually :)
    70's Omegas are some of the cheapest to collect and there is nothing "discount" about the movements or build quality.

13. BenBagbag Apr 2, 2018

This is what I get for answering a question first thing in the morning. ::facepalm2::

14. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 2, 2018

@HenrikM

Please bear in mind that as a watch the piece you have is perfectly OK. Your question was asked in a "collectible" vein. If you got a really nice price on the watch, great; wear it in Good Health and enjoy. If you paid a "collectible" price however you just paid what is referred to as "noob tax". Most of us start off this way.

15. JDMdenon Apr 2, 2018

I noticed the seller 'mad-albert' on ebay was also selling a cal.564, movement didn't have 'adjusted to five (5) etc.' on the bridge so thought best to leave it. Suspecting it was a franken.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  16. mydeafcat Apr 2, 2018

Welcome to OF, @HenrikM. You’ve just discovered an amazing community of passionate enthusiasts who generously offer years of expertise to noobs like you and me. You will soon notice your life will, like poorly serviced timepiece, now lose significant time every day :p; this is a good thing since OF is a great place to learn, wait patiently and hopefully start your collection.

Indeed, here is your first lesson plan. It’s a valuable goldmine of information written by a respected member (who you have now met!) who’s advice kickstarted my (so far) tiny collection: https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Cheers!
    Michael

Edited Apr 2, 2018
    ConElPueblo and BenBagbag like this.
  17. Edward53 Apr 2, 2018

I bought my first vintage Omega from that seller. That was a painful lesson.

18. JDMdenon Apr 2, 2018

Could you expand on this painful lessons for others to learn from? I usually have a ponder on his site. I've always thought he states faults. But he has a tendancy to be an @r£s about things if I've messaged him about something.

19. Edward53 Apr 2, 2018

If you study this forum intensively for several months and then take another look at his listings, you can decide for yourself just how many decent unmessed-with watches in good order there are. There's nothing I can say here that you can't get from the "Learn How To Fish" thread. That should be your bible for the first part of your journey.

mydeafcat and JDMdenon like this.