Forums Latest Members

Railmaster re-assurance or warning requested

1. Engee Dec 14, 2020

I guess I just lack a bit of confidence. I really this watch. I’ve been looking at them for a while and this is the version of the Railmaster I can afford and like. Maybe one day when my ship comes in I’ll be able to go for an early one but not now.

It’s a 220.10.40.20.01.001 described as very good condition. Year stated as 2017 (approximate - not sure what that means as it comes with box and papers so I would have thought that would be known). I’ve never bought on Chrono24 before and it’s a private seller. It’s competitively priced (asking price is lower than any recent sales of this model going back a couple of year) and the seller even dropped the price by £50 before the weekend. So I’m feeling a little bit “if it looks too good to be true... I was in correspondence with him last week asking for the pictures of the back which hadn’t originally been posted. I also asked him why he’s selling - answer was he found a watch he likes more and that he’s sold on Chrono24 twice before. Now he’s putting a little pressure on, saying he’s sitting on an offer from oversees but would rather sell it in the UK.

It’s getting a lot of watchers and I’m a tiny bit surprised it hasn’t gone yet, so maybe there’s something I’m missing. Am I smelling something bad here or am I just nervous. No movement images but if you can see anything that I can’t, or if you can tell me it looks good to you, please say. I understand there is always risk, but I don’t need to fight a scam right now.

Thank you.

PS if you’re looking at this thinking you might slip in and beat me to it, please don’t. Do the decent thing instead.

DCCD21A0-1685-4233-B688-1E96FCACD3D0.jpeg A9B5C38E-E6B6-45F1-AD9A-83C27AC5B3EA.jpeg C8AFD4EB-FA8D-4869-BF28-893FAC99B464.jpeg 261A4B18-6A05-412B-BA47-BF4FFB727F7C.jpeg
    Edited Dec 14, 2020
  2. Dedlock Dec 14, 2020

It looks really good from the pictures, maintenance and service by omega is still valid (5 years) so that will cover any potential issues if you encounter any at all. it doesn't look scratched in these pictures and it comes with the bracelet which is one of the better bracelets (at least to me).

And if you've tried one on in an AD then and know how it looks and feels on your wrist then go for it.

Engee likes this.
  3. northwatch99 Dec 14, 2020

Looks legit to me. I used to have one of these and sold it last year. I had it listed on chrono 24 at around this price with nothing but lowball offers for months. So I don’t think any reason to think it’s too good to be true, they don’t move very fast, but are great watches and worth the money.

Thrasher36 and Engee like this.
  4. Engee Dec 15, 2020

Thanks, this is reassuring, but now I realise an added issue. I’m in London and we are about to go into a hard lockdown. I won’t be able to take the watch to be opened and as there are no images of the movement I feel I should do this as soon as I receive the watch, shouldn’t I?

5. Scooterino36 Dec 15, 2020

Just be careful, as I believe you need preclearance from Chrono24 to make a claim on a watch that’s been opened. They are very clear that they won’t honor an authenticity claim on a watch if it’s been opened without their prior consent.

EDIT: Since it’s a private seller the Chrono24 authenticity guarantee doesn’t apply

3EA0BE8A-07F7-4763-8A7D-9A61FA62119D.png
    Edited Dec 15, 2020
  6. Engee Dec 15, 2020

So how would I be able to check the movement hasn’t been swapped out?

7. WatchCor Dec 15, 2020

Are you absolutely sure about this? I have used Chrono24 a few times and have had the watches opened. One of them I subsequently returned.

If one would open a watch and find inside it a Seagull/Selitta movement instead of an Omega movement , I suspect Chrono24 would not offer any objections to a refund request even in a Private Sale.

If I am not mistaken @Engee you can negotiate with the private seller for a e.g. 3 day inspection period where you could return it if there were any other issues. If this agreed upon with messages in C24 that would count as binding. If it is a fake (which it doesn't look like currently) you would of course get a refund regardless, although you would have to prove it. Private sales via Chrono24 do NOT have the same return conditions as with dealers.

Engee likes this.
  8. Scooterino36 Dec 15, 2020

EF1126F7-FF83-454B-80F0-CD57FACF2983.jpeg
    WatchCor and Engee like this.
  9. Scooterino36 Dec 15, 2020

In a private sale, unless you clearly agree on terms with the seller, you just don’t get that luxury. I’d recommend either trying to negotiate terms like @WatchCor stated, or waiting to buy from a seller you trust.

Engee likes this.
  10. Engee Dec 15, 2020

ok, so I can ask for a grace period, but I still have to find a place open during lockdown I can take it to. I just called an AD who said they couldn’t open it anyway, it would need to be sent for service. Does this mean that these watches are not that easy to get into and I should relax about it?

Edited Dec 15, 2020
  11. WatchCor Dec 15, 2020

Hot damn. Thanks. I was totally wrong on that one, thanks for clarifying that to me. That is a hard stipulation in my opinion , unless of course the "permision-to-open" from C24 is more like a formality. Still good to have that clarification.

Yeah, I think negotiating terms with the seller is the other option then.

12. Madjam1966 Dec 15, 2020

I own a Railmaster and love it.

Does this watch come with a receipt of purchase?

I've been on Chrono24 to take a look but can't see it? Did you end up buying it or did someone beat you to it?

There are a lot cropping up at authorised dealers at decent prices (it's never for some reason been a big seller) so if you are anxious about this particular private sale you may be able to find a guaranteed genuine article for a similar price elsewhere to give you peace of mind.

I'm not sure how much the one you were looking at on Chrono24 was, but numerous ADs in UK (eg Goldsmiths, Ernest Jones) have been selling these for under £3k brand new in their sales promotions recently.

Edited Dec 15, 2020
  13. Engee Dec 15, 2020

It’s off because I put an offer in so it’s “reserved” now. The price is £2700 which is quite a bit lower than anything I’ve seen, that said, if I could get a new one for under £3k I’d be tempted to do that. I’ve not seen a black face with steel bracelet under £3k though.

14. jeelan Dec 15, 2020

I’ve bought and sold a number of times through Chrono24 and now find it a better platform for transacting on vs watch forums, Ebay etc....

I’ve also had negotiations on both sales and purchases and each time, accessing Chrono24’s customer service was easy. Once i agreed to an outcome with the other party either one of us would communicate this to Chrono24, they would always msg both parties with confirmation of the agreement / outcome via both parties inbox on Chrono24.

I dont know the seller so this isnt an endorsement of the seller - I’m merely stating that the sales platform works well in my experience.

15. Engee Dec 15, 2020

I pulled the trigger having agreed to take the package to an omega authorised repairer in Hatton Garden and record it being opened, then I will ask them to open the back up for me and confirm no funny business has gone on.
    It seems rather an elaborate process but I think I feel safe doing it. I can’t open the watch myself so I need the peace of mind I’m not wearing a shell will a piece of junk under the hood.

WatchCor and Scooterino36 like this.
  16. Scooterino36 Dec 15, 2020

That is a pretty good deal if you ask me. Hopefully you won’t have any lockdown complications. Excellent choice of watch BTW!

Engee, Dedlock and Madjam1966 like this.
  17. Madjam1966 Dec 15, 2020

Ernest Jones and Goldsmiths had both been selling the black on a bracelet for under £3k recently but you have found a good one regardless. Congratulations!

18. Madjam1966 Dec 15, 2020

IMG_20201202_104007.jpg

Mine says hello

Dedlock, Scooterino36 and Engee like this.
  19. DNX Dec 15, 2020

It sounds like a great watch Engee - hope the transaction goes smoothly - congrats, love the look of the railmaster

Engee likes this.
  20. Engee Dec 17, 2020

It arrived today, I took it down to Hatton Garden where the Omega Authorised repairer witnessed me opening the package but was unable to open the back because the watch is so new they haven't been sent the correct tool to open it with. Slightly surprised at this, but I guess given even the earliest of this model is still under the 5 year warranty any problems would go straight back to Switzerland so no need for repairers to be touching them yet.
    Anyway, they confirmed the model number checks out and checked the performance, confirming that whatever is inside is a co-axial, and told me not to worry. My thinking is that if authorised repairers can't get hold of a tool tool open these things up the likelihood of anyone being able to swap the movement out for a fake, that performs as a co-axial, is pretty unlikely.

So, all good. I just can't wear the damn thing until I get the extra links put on. I think it's a job for a watchmaker - I'm told it's fiddly.

I'll post pics of my new baby as soon as...

Thanks for the reassuring advice.

Madjam1966 and Scooterino36 like this.