Forums Latest Members
  1. MSS Jan 13, 2020

Hi guys, thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and to OF for your great work.
    Bought this 1959 6610 from a local dealer that I trust, but now having second thoughts...it was cheaper than market because of the incorrect hands and also beacuse not everyone likes radium stains. However, the assumption was that the indexes were not relumed, based on the 3.0 measurement on the geiger counter and minimal UV reaction. I understand vintage collecting is about probabilities not certainties, so can someone with more experience on radium let me know his thoughts?

6610.jpg

2. MSS Jan 15, 2020

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Geiger measured around 3 uSv/h on top of the crystal. Plots and markers seem very similar to other correct pieces, specially beacuse they look aged as well and it is unlikely 30-40 years ago there was technology to faithfully reproduce luming. Been reading forums, RPR, etc. Apparently even 59-60 watches have much lower readings than early 50s, so a 3uSv/h would fit in the acceptable range (which is quite wide nonetheless).

Also, what does not seem likely to me is that an older relume + newer hands would still produce a 3uSv/reading today, for a 59/60 watch...hur would love to be challenged on my assumptions!

3. MPWATCH Watch Lover Jan 15, 2020

How does the lume react to UV?

4. MSS Jan 15, 2020

Ahahah...I am wearing it right now and loving it, but thanks for the support! I have a good relationship with the dealer and this is still a high amount of money on the assumption that it was not relumed...meaning that if in doubt I can trade it back...thanks!

5. MSS Jan 15, 2020

turns green but fades almost immediately...