Forums Latest Members
  1. Phoenix2020 Jul 1, 2020

Hello Everyone,

I am absolutely new to this forum
    I recently bought one Omega Seamaster 1960 Manual wind watch Ref. 14389-1, Cal. 268.
    Honest confession, this is my first vintage watch, so was not aware that Omega used Radium Lume up until 1961.
    I got to know this after I purchased the watch, upon contacting the seller I was told that the particular watch i bought has no Radium at all, the watch hands are Radium free and were exchanged by Omega many years ago.
    So,
    i) if the watch hands were replaced long time ago, is there any chance of residual radiation?
    ii) even if the watch came with Radium painted watch hands, how bad is it for someone who plans to wear it on everyday basis?

I came across few articles on the net, some stating that it caused harm to watchmakers or dial painters only and poses no significant threat to the wearer and other articles saying recent study shows it is actually very harmful.

I thought of asking this in this forum, any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

thelinendial likes this.
  2. Dan S Jul 1, 2020

You have described the hands, but what about the dial, does that still have the original radium? Photos would help. To determine the radioactivity of your particular watch, you would need to use a Geiger counter.

More generally, this general topic has addressed in many, many threads, so I suggest using the search function. Find the previous threads and read them beginning to end, because they involve this exact same issue. It is best to educate yourself about what has already been discussed in the context of direct radiation, radon, ventilation, etc. After reading the previous threads, perhaps you can ask more specific and nuanced questions from an educated perspective.

thelinendial and Phoenix2020 like this.
  3. Phoenix2020 Jul 1, 2020

Thank you Dan, I actually tried searching before asking, but only one thread came up, I might not have searched properly, will try that again.
    The watch is still in shipment, coming from another country so i cant post any pictures right away apart from the one provided by the seller, but per the seller there is no luminescence from any part of the watch.

upload_2020-7-1_19-25-24.png

upload_2020-7-1_19-23-57.png

thelinendial likes this.
  4. Dgercp Jul 1, 2020

You don't need to worry about radium on that watch.

Heavy Cav, Phoenix2020 and Dan S like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Jul 1, 2020

Looks like the dial has been cleaned if it’s lume. You would see little “pips” or round dots of radium in the recessed at the top of the indices here.
    17DC5A85-A854-4521-824D-2EA82FB7085F.jpeg

It does affect the value for collectors but as far as radium, looks like you’re clear.

thelinendial, DaveK and Phoenix2020 like this.
  6. Dan S Jul 1, 2020

The dial has been repainted and all lume removed (and not re-applied). The hands are not original, and have no place for lume. This is why we encourage photos.

7. Dan S Jul 1, 2020

8. Phoenix2020 Jul 1, 2020

Thank you very much!!!

9. Phoenix2020 Jul 1, 2020

Thank you very much for pointing out where the "pips" would have been and addressing my concern, it's been an hour or so since I joined the forum and I am already getting so much information.

thelinendial likes this.
  10. ExpiredWatchdog Jul 1, 2020

Yeah, they're just sitting around waiting for some newb to stumble by so they can pounce on him and fill his head up with knowledge.

It's pretty awesome.

thelinendial and DaveK like this.
  11. Phoenix2020 Jul 1, 2020

Thanks Dan for putting my mind at rest regarding the Radium Lume.
    You brought up another great point.
    As I posted in my initial question, I was told by the seller that Omega replaced the hands long time ago, now its absolutely out of my league to know if these are original Omega hands, any help with that information would be great!!!

12. Phoenix2020 Jul 1, 2020

LOL, I will take your comment in good sense of humor, as you must have intended. But I must confess that I am surprised with the quick responses from the knowledgeable members.
    I for sure love to be a member of this kind of a forum where questions from a novice like me are answered in details .

13. Dan S Jul 1, 2020

Since the dial originally would have had lume dots at the ends of the applied hour markers, the original hands would also have had "slots" to be filled with lume. These hands are solid, with no lume slots, so they are not the originals. They may very well be authentic Omega hands, however.

14. Phoenix2020 Jul 1, 2020

Thank's again Dan, that is very helpful!!!

15. JwRosenthal Jul 1, 2020

In a nutshell, this is a collector’s forum so originality is usually the goal. But we all like nice looking watches and if you find it appealing- even if it’s not all original, then that’s all that matters. But seeing as dial and hands are not in their original state, the price should be adjusted accordingly- particularly if you were told they were original by the seller (he said hands were replacement but did he specify the dial?). If you got this inexpensively and find it attractive, wear it with pride and know you are radium free (btw- half my collection have full radium dials with indices you can see from space- and I have no fear of danger from them- but that’s just me). But if you paid a premium for an original collectible watch that will retain its value over time, I would be looking to return it and chalk it up to a learning experience.

16. Phoenix2020 Jul 1, 2020

Thank You JwRosenthal!!!
    I intend to wear it proudly, like some vintage watch lovers I prefer a cleaner dial.
    I paid around $550, is that a fare price? if not at least I know now where to ask before buying another one.
    I only have the pictures sent by the seller, I can send more once i have the watch, but this is what the seller mentioned -
    Classic Original Omega Seamaster.
    Original Omega Crown,
    Professionally restored Dial,
    Round Screw-down back embossed with Seamaster logo
    Aftermarket leather band and buckle
    Serviced before putting up for sale.

upload_2020-7-1_21-17-3.png
    upload_2020-7-1_21-19-23.png
    upload_2020-7-1_21-20-33.png
    upload_2020-7-1_21-21-35.png

thelinendial likes this.
  17. JwRosenthal Jul 1, 2020

Well, he didn’t inaccurately describe it. If you want us to pick it apart as an exercise for you- we can, but since it’s already inbound and you like it, then wear it in good health. As for what you paid, it’s on the high side but you didn’t get screwed. refinished or refurbished are bad things in the watch world- but some sellers use them as lures to new comers. The only thing that should need “refinishing” is a service on a movement periodically...and if that wasn’t done on this watch, you will need to which will add about half- 2/3 of what you paid.
    Most all of us have paid the “noob” tax, some harder than others. At least you have an attractive watch to wear- some of us just got a box of worthless parts.
    In the future, ask here before buying, search google with the case reference number and look for known original examples and compare. There were many different dial variations over the years but Omega was consistent in some things that are the tell.

Also read the sticky’s in the vintage forum, particularly this one

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Edited Jul 1, 2020
  18. Phoenix2020 Jul 1, 2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at the pictures, I am happy with what you said, given my zero knowledge on vintage watches.
    This one has been serviced as per the seller.
    Thanks again for pointing me to the post. I will read it right away.

You All are just awesome!!!

thelinendial and JwRosenthal like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Jul 1, 2020

My first Omega purchase 20 years ago- I got lucky, and bought from a reputable collector. My next one from eBay was a redialed watch- I didn’t ask here first. My second was a money pit disaster, that eventually got sorted out but I learned from that mistake. Since spending time here I have honed my eye, learned the signs and have really developed a great network of friends with whom I can learn and pass the knowledge forward.
    Welcome to the forum and hope you continue to grow your collection. Watches are really the only jewelry many of us get to wear- have fun with it!

thelinendial, bardamu and Phoenix2020 like this.