Forums Latest Members
  1. applebook Jun 5, 2021

Apologies if this has been posted before, but does anyone have long term experience with these types of spring bars? Are they reliable (risk of failure)? I know that Patek has been offering these for many years, but are there aftermarket versions in steel that you'd recommend?

On a related topic, any recommendations for straps with rear cutouts for these types of spring bars, preferably Shell Cordovan or just cow hide?

Axel Brass likes this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 5, 2021

I have cat like reflexes. :p Thank goodness because they allowed me to catch two of my watches before they hit the sidewalk. These were “bargain” straps from Asia ( still north of $100 each). The Camille Fournet I have on my 145 22 69 works great. The quick release on the two Baltic BOR bracelets I have is also excellent. You get what you pay for. If you have these always check to see if secure.

Dan S likes this.
  3. SkunkPrince Jun 5, 2021

In a stunning move, it looks like Hirsch supply them now.

I prefer the usual kind.

4. Axel Brass Jun 5, 2021

I’ve been using the quick release spring bars for years now. Those that came with my Oris and also ones I bought form Delugs and I did a review here.

I’ll never now buy a strap without quick release (though I have no problems with doing it the old fashioned way), because it’s so convenient.

One nit-pick consideration is that the placement of my Delugs spring bar is superior as, unlike my Oris, I don’t see that little bit of metal when wearing my watch.

5. SkunkPrince Jun 5, 2021

There are certainly some of us who change straps more often than others. I tend to prefer the bracelet and while I have straps that fit most of my watches, I tend to just wear the bracelet. Guess I need to start selling straps!

Axel Brass likes this.
  6. Evitzee Jun 5, 2021

Some people are adamantly against them, but if they are a quality item they work fine. The last few straps I've bought/had made have the quick release spring bars, no issues. It's like everything, if they are cheaply made they can fail at an inopportune time, just like a cheap regular spring bar can.

Axel Brass and connieseamaster like this.
  7. applebook Jun 5, 2021

I completely understand emotional reservations about them, but are there actually rational arguments against them? The concept shouldn't be inherently flawed if major manufacturers offer them out of the factory (even in solid gold!).

I just bought an Archer (California) Horween strap off Amazon with these spring bars. Their straps are inexpensive but are made in America. Who knows which Chinese factory the spring bars comes from though. None of the Amazon reviewers has reported flying watches yet.

If you know an independent seller of just quality spring bars, please do share.

Axel Brass likes this.
  8. rfcs Jun 5, 2021

I’ve bought from Amazon multiple Barton straps with quick release spring bars. They are inexpensive, durable so far, and convenient. Another advantage of the quick release is that I minimize scratching the lugs since there’s no need for the tool.

Axel Brass likes this.
  9. Dan S Jun 5, 2021

IIRC, there have been some threads where the OP describes the quick release lever having rotated/moved to a position where it isn't easily accessed, or maybe it broke off or something. The bottom line was that they were having a lot of trouble removing the spring-bar, kind of like a flange-less spring-bar in a case without lug-holes. This is just from memory, and I have no first-hand experience with this type of spring-bar. I've never used one that I can recall.

Axel Brass likes this.
  10. timoss Jun 6, 2021

Another vote for Barton quick release straps. Very reasonably priced, good quality, and super convenient, esp. if you like to swap straps often.

watchthinker and Axel Brass like this.
  11. Jkbenn02 Jun 6, 2021

cheapestnatostraps.com

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 6, 2021

All spring bars release quickly, if you know what you're doing. It's not rocket surgery for goodness sakes!

And if they do happen to get stuck, I hear vinegar works. ::stirthepot::