Questions about forum?

Hello

I have recently joined this forum and I have a couple of questions, is this the right place to ask them?

Assuming it is! my questions are

When I look at the forum I'm shown lots of adverts, is this the norm?

and

It can be quite helpful to have an idea about where contributors are based, which continent for example, is there a way to display where I am based?

Thanks very much

Graham

You'll see the ads unless you opt for a paid subscription.....worth the few bucks/francs/euros per year. No way to list where you based that I am aware of.

Why is it helpful to know where people are based?

I think tier 2 gets to make witty comments under their name if they want.

Why is it helpful to know where people are based?
It certainly would have been helpful to me and to my co-organizers when we were first putting together the Mid-Atlantic G2G here in the U.S. It would have made it easier to invite members from our geographical area and for us to gauge what kind of response we were likely to get. On a more personal level, I think that it could encourage members who are georgraphically close to each other to get together in person and socialize. I can certainly understand why some members would choose not to display their exact location, but perhaps it could be an optional feature.
Edited:

Hello

I have recently joined this forum and I have a couple of questions, is this the right place to ask them?

and

It can be quite helpful to have an idea about where contributors are based, which continent for example, is there a way to display where I am based?

Thanks very much

Graham

Just blurt out at the top of each of your postings where you are located.😁

Or your avatar and username could give a hint. See mine😗

I think tier 2 gets to make witty comments under their name if they want.

Some of us who have been here forever had those bestowed upon us by the moderators.

Isn't everyone in Australia? 😁

Australia and Texas are much the same. You are either born here or have gotten here as soon as possible.

Luckily there are two such places on this Earth (kinda 180 degrees apart), if only one, Earth would have turned on its' axis wildly and spun into the abyss of space long ago.

BIRMINGHAM!

I’ll leave you to work out which.

BIRMINGHAM!

Alabama? lol
Anyway, wasn't there a thread where you could add your pin to a map?

BIRMINGHAM!

Brummagem I think you mean 😀

It certainly would have been helpful to me and to my-organizers when we were first putting together the Mid-Atlantic G2G here in the U.S. It would have made it easier to invite members from our geographical area and for us to gauge what kind of response we were likely to get. On a more personal level, I think that it could encourage members who are georgraphically close to each other to get together in person and socialize. I can certainly understand why some members would choose not to display their exact location, but perhaps it could be an optional feature.
I agree having that feature (assuming people actual put in the city or state and country) is very helpful in an international forum. It can help to figure out what responses may be most relevant to a question (where to service, sales, etc.). And x2 on gatherings -- it's been invaluable on a knife forum where I pull together an annual event that pulls people mainly from the mid-Atlantic area.

I also think having an optional location field is valuable. I'm not gonna go ahead and post my street address but it would be nice to know where people I'm talking to hail from, especially if they're fellow Aussies. 😜

I also think having an optional location field is valuable. I'm not gonna go ahead and post my street address but it would be nice to know where people I'm talking to hail from, especially if they're fellow Aussies. 😜
Well it’s a Queensland based website and we kick off anyone from crappier parts of Australia so be careful what you wish for

Hello

and

Thanks very much

Graham

Welcome to OF Graham, which continent do you hail from?

Well it’s a Queensland based website and we kick off anyone from crappier parts of Australia so be careful what you wish for

I'm from Adelaide, so I guess I'm safe. 😉