Forums Latest Members

Question on new Seamaster Diver 300 and Magnet

1. dummykid Dec 29, 2020

I got my new black Seamaster Diver 300M (210.30.42.20.01.001) during the holiday as a gift to myself, and I have noticed that the watch is running fast under the magnet condition.

I may have a wrong understanding on Anti-Magnet feature on the watch, but here are the cases I am experiencing:

I recently got a new Microsoft Ergo keyboard which has 4 or 6 magnets inside for ergo attachment, so after I use the keyboard for a few days, and today I have noticed my watch suddenly runs fast ( I have a lot of typing today on keyboard), such as 2 mins faster than last day, but when I check the watch with the compass, and the watch was not magnetized.

I also experienced the same thing a few week ago when I placed the watch near my desk lamp, ( I verified with a compass and the desk lamp has a little bit magnetic field), typically my watch accuracy is about +2s per day, but after I woke up in the morning, I noticed my watch was about 30s or 40s faster than last day.

With my experience above, I am wondering if the watch would be running faster under the magnet condition, but it just won't be magnetized ? or the watch should still be running accurately under the magnet condition?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2020

There are other reasons a watch can run very fast, but the only way you will know for sure is to have Omega take a look at it.

guppydriver likes this.
  3. mjb Dec 30, 2020

Congrats on the new watch. As Archer mentioned, there could be a lot of reasons for this, but it seems to me (if you want to avoid sending off the watch and being without it for a while) that you could start by replacing the keyboard and desk lamp and closely monitoring the accuracy of the watch. Use the upcoming holiday weekend to review the timekeeping under controlled conditions to set a benchmark.

4. neurosciguy15 Dec 30, 2020

The new 300s are very antimagnetic (15,000 Gauss). I’d be surprised if your keyboard magnets were affecting it, but I suppose it’s possible. I would be blown away though if your desk lamp was doing anything.

5. aleksejeremeev Dec 30, 2020

YOU have demagnetized your omega watch at least once. ?

6. dummykid Dec 30, 2020

Thanks for the feedback. I actually did another test yesterday before sleep. I put my watch next to the keyboard overnight, and the watch was running fine this morning , so I believed running faster was not due to the magnet, and it would be something else like Archer mentioned. I remember after work, I did wear my watch to workout, its about 1 hour HIIT ( a lot of jumping, waving battle rope etc), so I guess it would be due to the high intense sport?

I will keep my eye on the accuracy again and will contact Omega if it suddenly runs faster again under normal wear ( no high intense sport).

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2020

Yes, it's quite possible that the activities you are doing are the culprit. This can happen for two reasons:

1 - Activity like this will wind the mainspring, and if the mainspring barrel is not properly lubricated, it may cause excessive balance amplitude. This can lead to something called rebanking, and this results is a very fast rate. Given that this is a new watch and co-axial, this is an unlikely scenario.

2 - Activities where the watch is moved around quickly will impart external forces to the balance, and this can lead the the balance moving faster than normal.

dummykid likes this.
  8. dummykid Dec 30, 2020

Thanks Archer. I didn't know the intense fast movement would effect the accuracy because I thought the watch shock absorber would take care of it.