Forums Latest Members

Question About the Rolex Wait List, Update 147 days

1. impalla62ss Oct 13, 2020

Hello all, I am really a fan of the Rolex Air King 116900, although many may find it ugly. I am mainly an Omega guy and other than my 1500, I really do not have a lot of experience with Rolex. I am really studying up on vintage now, but am thinking about going new for once in my life. I have read about all this wait list stuff and have no issue with it. I would prefer to wait if I had to, and buy from an authorized dealer. It also looks like the list price on the Rolex site is cheaper than used watches on eBay.

That being said, I am in Alaska and am nowhere near an authorized dealer. I have several questions.

Anybody know if there is a wait list for the Rolex Air King 116900?
    Any estimates on the length of a wait if there is a wait list.
    Any dealer recommendations. Anywhere in the US would work for me.

Thanks for any assistance you may offer.

air.jpg

2. Davidt Oct 13, 2020

I would assume it’s comparable or slightly less than the Explorer 1.
    I was on a list from Nov 19 and got the call in Jun 20, with no prior history with the AD (although I do think the Covid lockdown expedited matters).

I’d generally say pick an AD, have a chat with them, let them know you’re serious and drop by for a browse and give them a little reminder every month or so. However, if you’re not local to an AD that might not be possible.

3. kip595 Oct 13, 2020

This design tends to be one of their most polarizing, and almost certainly their most 'love or hate' design in that price range - what I'm getting at is though many if not most ADs will put you on a waitlist, I have at least 3 times in the last 3 years seen this just sitting in ADs ready for someone to walk in.

If you are *ever in any area where there are multiple AD's such as Seattle, I'd personally try to check all of them, in person if possible, for two reasons: meeting the employees may give you an idea of where you trust most for being placed on a waitlist - some won't do it at all w/o prior purchase history, and the ones like this in my experience go out of their way to show if not disdain, then a certain satisfied annoyance, is the only way I can think of it - but also, you may happen to stumble upon one ready to go (it happens, a buddy of mine just snagged a steel DJ that had come in to his local shop and been placed in the case the same morning - it was his first purchase there.)

Good luck!

p.s. Given location, though, this may be a difficult one to do without using the grey market.

4. impalla62ss Oct 13, 2020

I have found a AD in Anchorage, Alaska and am now on their wait list. I have to get hip surgery sometime this winter in Seattle and will give that a try.

kip595 likes this.
  5. kip595 Oct 13, 2020

Good luck with the surgery - my uncle just had a replacement, says it wasn't that bad at all with the newer tech.

6. Mossback Oct 14, 2020

Good luck with the hip surgery. :thumbsdown:
    Keep in mind we have a 10% sales tax in Seattle. I've visited a few dealers here and never seen an Air King on display so far.

7. Thrasher36 Oct 14, 2020

Since your a long distance from an AD just call a bunch in the lower 48 and see who has one in stock, Be ready to buy the moment they say they have it and they will ship it to you.

8. KeithS Oct 14, 2020

I don't think the wait for an Air King is going to be very long at all. While hanging out on waitlists for an Explorer II, two ADs let me know they had an Air King in stock that I could pick up while continuing to wait. This was over the course of three months. I didn't have any buying history with these ADs either.

I've been told by several Rolex AD's that they cannot ship new watches to customers. One manager told me that Rolex has been known to call and pose as a customer, requesting to buy a new a watch and have it shipped. If the AD agrees, they lose their AD status.

9. MCC Oct 14, 2020

I have also seen this model on Rolex windows occasionally, pretty much the only "Sports" model I have seen in a window for about 5 years

10. Davidt Oct 14, 2020

When putting me on the list my AD took my address and postcode to confirm I lived sufficiently close as they suggested they’re now only selling to local customers.

impalla62ss likes this.
  11. Capt Cave Man Oct 14, 2020

I'd agree with that, I've recently enquired with my local AD about a sub and they confirmed that although I'm known to them they have to confirm my purchase history and that I'm a local customer... live within 50 miles.

12. greyfox422 Oct 14, 2020

It's a bit over retail, but DavidSW, Crown and Caliber, Chrono24, and Watchfinder have at least one, depending on how badly you want one and ability to spend a little more.

13. impalla62ss Oct 14, 2020

I am in no hurry. I'll wait a year to save a $1,000.00.

14. impalla62ss Oct 14, 2020

OK, what is the difference between a AD and a Rolex Official Retailer?

15. KeithS Oct 14, 2020

They are the same thing.

impalla62ss likes this.
  16. mz_cle Oct 14, 2020

Best wishes on the surgery and a quick recovery.

I don't know about others, but I have always liked the splash of color on this dial with the green "Rolex" and second hand.

17. impalla62ss Mar 9, 2021

My Air King is here. I had to wait 147 days for the AD in Anchorage to get one. I will have to fly down to get it. I'll post pics soon. Hip surgery went well. I am 6 weeks out and healing up.

KeithS, Taddyangle, Cuttysark and 7 others like this.
  18. Evitzee Mar 9, 2021

That's good news! Can't they ship it to you?

19. impalla62ss Mar 9, 2021

Rolex will not ship professional watches. I think it is related to stopping resellers. Luckily I have another appointment that I have to fly down for.

Walrus likes this.
  20. Rado63 Mar 9, 2021

This sounds like things have been working well for you, The surgery went well and you got a new Rolex. I really think the watch will be a real keeper.

impalla62ss likes this.