Forums Latest Members

Making a strap buckle, question about the drilling size.

1. BlueBird11 Nov 18, 2022

Hi guys ! Im a happy guy with my speedmaster 3861 but i'm also a maker. I just like to make stuff. And i want to make a leather nato strap (I have some interesting idea). I can buy any buckle from amazon or alibaba but i'm currently designing one in fusion360. I have a small CNC in my basement and some experience in machining (especially titanium).
    I would like to know if someone here have experience in watchmaking.. Im looking for dimension and drill size. I found this picture:
    [​IMG]

So from that, I need to drill slightly bigger hole than 0.8mm, but i would like to know if, in the watchmaking world, you have some basic "rules" to follow. Standard values. If you are using "per default" a 0.9mm drill for the spring bar hole for example or a 0.8mm because any spring bar are in reality a little bit under 0.8mm to fit a 0.8 hole.

Thanks a lot. If you are interested to see the project, let me know, it will be a pleasure to show you. Im really new in this world but have some experience in machining, design and (a lot) of gunsmithing in my past. And sorry if my english is not perfect.

DaveK, sheepdoll and RevZMan123 like this.
  2. RevZMan123 Nov 18, 2022

Welcome! I too am a hobbyist gunsmith turned beginning hobbyist watchmaker.

Wouldn't we just follow the same hole/shaft engineering fit tolerances? Found this handy chart on wikipedia since I never remember anything: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_fit

Some type of clearance fit.

Edited Nov 18, 2022
    BlueBird11 and X350 XJR like this.
  3. BlueBird11 Nov 18, 2022

Never see this chart before. Thanks a lot. Printed and on my wall with my other charts.

Im wondering if somebody can help me choosing a good spring bar ? Can I trust amazon or they are really bad ? Thanks

4. Dan S Nov 18, 2022

These are pretty good IMO.
    https://www.ofrei.com/page1229.html

Keep in mind that spring bars for buckles may need to have short pins so that they don't extend all the way through, assuming your buckle will have through holes. You may want to use clasp-style bars.

BlueBird11 likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 18, 2022

For work as fine as that, I prefer to drill the hole to one size less than the the nominal size and then use a reamer or a broach to bring the hole to the required size.

6. BlueBird11 Nov 20, 2022

Thanks guys I will make a new thread and post all the development of the project, drawing, picture, machining etc