Forums Latest Members

Question about Speedmaster dial and possible flaking

1. Candle00 May 8, 2021

Hi there,

I bought this FOIS just under a year ago. I know it might sound pedantic but I've noticed a couple of white specks appear under the crystal. I don't believe they're scratches. Would it be fair to assume they're flakes from the white markers/hands/other white features on the dial? If so, this does seem a bit poor form as I wouldn't expect this to happen for a watch that is less than a year old. Photo for discussion:

IMG-3188.jpg

Edited May 9, 2021
  2. Evitzee May 8, 2021

Are they on the dial or on the inside of the crystal? Probably specs of dust. You'd have to loupe it to determine what they are.

3. Candle00 May 9, 2021

Looks like they're on the inside of the crystal. If dust, how could it have been introduced if the watch hasn't been opened since I've purchased it? I noticed one speck a few weeks ago and the other one at 7 o'clock only appeared the other day.....

4. befobe May 9, 2021

Have you the possibility to look at them with a magnify to see the "shape" of these flakes, and describe them?
    Anyway, it is not normal IMHO. Should be taken in charge by Omega.

5. DoctorEvil May 9, 2021

Years ago, I bought a new Seamaster Pro which had a similar issue. After a while I noticed what appeared to be a tiny metal filing on the inside of the crystal at the 6 o'clock position. I suspected that it was a contaminant which had gotten inside the case during the manufacturing process and over time had worked it's way to the surface. Thankfully, the watch was still under warranty and the Omega Service Centre rectified it immediately whilst I waited. Quick fix.

6. Candle00 May 10, 2021

I don't unfortunately but sounds like it warrants a trip to Omega and thankfully it's still under warranty.

befobe likes this.