Forums Latest Members

Stupid question about speedmaster cases and caseback fit

1. ext1 Jun 28, 2018

Hello all,
    Please bear with me as I understand this information must be out there somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it-

As I understand starting with the 105.012-66 the caseback changed to single step. Since the midband case (sans pushers and crown) of the 105.012 is identical to the 145.012, I assume that 145.012 casebacks should fit onto 105.012s. And since modern 145.0012 casebacks fit 145.012 for service, these 145.0012 casebacks should also fit 105.012. (I'm probably wrong with this chain of reasoning!)

However since double and single step has both fitted in the 105.012, would the double step 105.012 caseback fit the straight lug 2998/105.002~3 cases? If so would that mean the 145.0012 casebacks fit the straight lug cases too?

Sorry and thank you to OF for the community knowledge!

2. dan7800 Jun 28, 2018

Should I feel stupid for not seeing how this was a stupid question at all?

ext1 likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 28, 2018

My understanding was that all casebacks fit all versions but perhaps it is my knowledge which is flawed and not the original question.

gdupree likes this.
  4. ext1 Jun 28, 2018

Thank you for the kind responses! I'm just being very careful since I know my question might be considered a "nuisance question" by some of our very experienced members here.

So @padders would a service 145.0012 caseback fit the straight-lug cases with no rattling issue whatsoever?

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 28, 2018

I believe so, not sure what the rattling issue would be.

6. ext1 Jun 28, 2018

For the rattling issue: For example it is known that OEM sapphire display casebacks fit straight lugs. However it's also widely known that you need a spacer between the movement and the display back to compensate for the lack of dust cover, else the movement will rattle. I was wondering if the construction of the double-step caseback would create some sort of additional tolerance that needs to be filled in compared to the single-step caseback.

mr_yossarian likes this.
  7. mr_yossarian Jun 28, 2018

The rattling usually comes from not proper adjusted endlinks. If you come across a casback rattle issue, you might have a bigger problem :) Do you mean a lose movement that ist not held into place (due to wrong caseback depth) ? Shouldn't happen with a matching dustcover on it.

ext1 likes this.
  8. ext1 Jun 28, 2018

Does that mean dust covers have different heights across cal 321s? Would refs that shipped with double-step have been fitted with higher height dust covers?

9. gdupree Jun 28, 2018

I can't say for sure, but visually I've never noticed a height difference in the dust covers. But I've never really been comparing. Most likely you'll just have to try it and see... but I am curious as to what you're trying to do.

10. ulackfocus Jun 28, 2018

11. ext1 Jun 28, 2018

Not trying to pass off a fake as real, I promise! It's because I have a 2998 with a very very tired caseback that looks like it needs to be rushed to the ER. Almost all the inscription is gone, and there's a dent. Since I sold pretty much every watch to get to this 2998, because I wanted to wear it daily. I have to replace the caseback essentially, and I've looked into the display back option but it's quite confusing, and I'm still figuring it out. I also have a spare case that I hunted so that I can really really wear without worry. I know caseback stickers are a thing but...don't wanna take any more chances with that caseback...

pascs and gdupree like this.
  12. gdupree Jun 28, 2018

That makes sense. What's the worry with wearing the worn/polished case back though? Or the case band for that matter? Unless it's a showroom quality piece or something, but it doesn't sound like that.

13. amphib44 Jun 28, 2018

Euclid's common notion. Two things that are the same as a third thing are the same as each other (paraphrasing...).

14. ext1 Jun 28, 2018

Here's a pic- this pic is decent because of the lighting. In reality I'm wondering if I should inscribe a RIP to the back...::facepalm1:: DSC_0210.JPG
    The SM300 will probably have to go because of the murderous service costs....sad...
    Anyhow this is the reason why I wanted to know. I'd gladly spend and obtain a service caseback so that I can really use without worry...this is definitely not museum/showroom quality but I'm a daily-wear guy, and so I'd want some real peace of mind to wear this beauty every day.

15. gdupree Jun 28, 2018

Nice pic... But I still am lost on what you're worried about. The case back seems to be doing its job... It's already worn, so there shouldn't be any worry of damaging it. And it's original to the watch, which no other case back will be. A new case back that isn't correct and doesn't even match the watch's wear would seem very out of place to me and I see no functional reason that you would want to do so. To each their own, but I wouldn't be doing anything to that watch.

16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 28, 2018

17. ext1 Jun 28, 2018

If it were slightly worn I would also not worry much, but without the lighting it's really hard to tell there's an inscription at all. I guess it's a bit like thinking if I had a cold I don't want it to develop further into a fever? I'm already sick, so I have to be worried about getting sicker. I know it's not correct, but I just don't want to subject the caseback to even more wear and tear than necessary. I'm aware such a view might not be very welcomed here, forgive my blasphemy.

I did look into the Priek backs, but the rounded edge really turns me off. I'd like them to be straight-edged (like single-step shape). I was thinking maybe it could be filed to the extreme, but I doubt it would work.

It's a relief to hear the 145.0012 should fit though!

Here's a pic of the front.

DSC_0205.JPG

I've taken the rather controversial decision to relume the dial (!!! I know, please don't burn me to the stake) because the majority of the lume had been washed off the dial already. When the work is done I'll share it on here for sure.

Seaborg and Kmart like this.
  18. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 28, 2018

Looks nice! Don't worry about the relume. Better a good relume than a crappy dial. And although many here would not put a burner case back on, plenty would. Some even put a modern bezel on to keep their DON safe.

Ultimately, it's your watch. No need to apologize. Wear and enjoy!

ext1 and gdupree like this.
  19. ext1 Jun 28, 2018

Thank you for the kind response! Glad to know there's somewhat of a place for me in OF. I guess I need to go hunting for a service 1450012 caseback, no idea where to get one...
    KakaoTalk_20180419_065608328.jpg
    Here's a pic of the relume job! Happy how it turned out. Does it look alright?
    With relume, I basically traded a bit of potential resaleability for personal enjoyment (and I guess I also gained more reason for others to hate me?) My guy used tritium plus the original stuff left over in the dial. I'm not sure if the hands that he sourced are legit, though. Seems like it to me. But the movement service work is not done yet, so this hasn't been fitted yet. I think it will look killer once it's assembled.

gdupree, GuiltyBoomerang and oddboy like this.
  20. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 28, 2018

Keep an eye on eBay, they come up now and then. Could try https://ernst-westphal.de/en/.

Looks like a good job. I'm sure it will look great once assembled. Hands look ok, but hard to say for sure without seeing them mounted. You could try laying them on the dial if you're feeling brave.