Quartz Omega Servicing - Will I Get Hustled?

I bought a midsize quartz (production year 2012... ref. 2223.80) about 4 months ago.

It's in pristine condition, I literally failed to find signs of use when I purchased it from a reputed chain in Tokyo. I'm sure some expert polishing or if you prefer refinishing has been done, but I'm not entirely convinced this was ever a beater. The only "flaw" I found was how difficult the bezel was to turn, but I thought this was a common issue with all SMPs.

Recently, the bezel has been permanently stuck. i can't get it to move with whatever force. I've been told by omega boutiques that I'd need to send this into the service center to fix. I'm also curious as to whether it's actually due for a service given how it could've been easily 11 years without any inspection.

However given how it's an ETA movement I'm concerned that omega would basically just quote me the max (some 650 CAD) and only un-stuck the bezel for me, maybe do an oil change or whatever.

Any advice on what to do? I'd really prefer to not have to part with 650 if I don't have to lol.

I'm aware I could technically just run the bezel under warm water but I'm not confident in my ability to do this type of stuff and would still otherwise be curious about whether the watch is genuinely due for a service.

Just find a competent local watchmaker.
If you tell us vaguely where you are someone here might be able to recommend a watch doctor not too far away

Just find a competent local watchmaker.
If you tell us vaguely where you are someone here might be able to recommend a watch doctor not too far away

“I could technically just run the bezel under warm water but I'm not confident in my ability to do this type of stuff”

Clearly, he is from Hamilton.

😁

11 years. Never seen a service. The bezel problem is good reason for a full service while you'r at it.

It's probably just dirt blocking but you will have a proper water resistance, mouvement serviced,..

If you send it to Omega it's going to cost $500 US. I feel confident saying that's guaranteed. (It's the stated service price for a non-chronograph quartz watch.)

An independent will likely charge quite a bit less.

It just comes down to what you want.

The independent may be able to get the bezel issue sorted, but there's a chance some part will need to be replaced. If it's not an independent with an Omega parts account, you could end up having a hard time finding an OEM option--are you comfortable with aftermarket? And do you trust this watchmaker to stand by their work?---what recourse will you have if their fix isn't great or doesn't last? These aren't meant to be ominous questions---just important considerations. There are many really fantastic independent watchmakers out there!

An official Omega service will cost more and take longer, no doubt, but you'll know that any replacement parts are OEM (and will be easily source-able, since you're at the source). The service will also be a complete overhaul, replacing anything else that needs replacing to make it all run like new, the watch will be sealed to factory-spec for water resistance (and tested to that standard), and the case and bracelet (unless you request otherwise, but why would you?) will be refinished to new condition. You will also a get a brand new Omega-issued 2 year warranty, which is both peace of mind and actual value-added, should you go to sell the watch during that period. Moreover, if you have any doubts about the authenticity of your watch, this will put them to rest.

If all you want is the bezel fix, then I wouldn't bother with Omega, personally. And I can understand not wanting to drop $500 to service a $1500 quartz watch. But if it's a piece you plan to keep and wear (and swim with) for a long time, it's actually not the worst idea, in my opinion.

Did you try the floss trick to loosen the Bezel?

try using some dental floss to clean the gunk out.

An independent will likely charge quite a bit less.

You would think so, but last fall I queried three local (Atlanta area) watchmakers about servicing my 2561.80. Responses ranged from $385 to $425 (USD) for a basic service which, as @Annapolis notes, is far less comprehensive than Omega's.

You would think so, but last fall I queried three local (Atlanta area) watchmakers about servicing my 2561.80. Responses ranged from $385 to $425 (USD) for a basic service which, as @Annapolis notes, is far less comprehensive than Omega's.

Yeah, at that point, I'd 100% go with an official service---the main disadvantage, probably, being turnaround time. But worth the wait to get that warranty and the added peace of mind.

You likely don't need a full service. What you do need is to remove the bezel and clean the gunk under it. Any watchmaker with the right tool can do it in 5 minutes. But I say right tool because Omega bezel assemblies don't come off like a Rolex Submariner. You don't use a case knife. It's a pliers type tool with a circular part that clamps around the bezel and then you twist off. You can do it yourself if you can get a tool. But most respectable watchmakers should already have something like this on hand.

Below is a good tutorial on how to remove the bezel assembly. I have the tool and it's easy to use. One tip though--keep the bezel insert in the bezel assembly. I've never had luck getting them back in properly. But the good thing is that you don't need to remove the bezel insert--you will remove (or have removed) the entire bezel assembly.

Another tip, the other methods to clean under the bezel assembly are not terribly effective. You need to get the bezel assembly off if it's so stuck you can't even turn it.

And a final tip, don't bother the other methods you might find to remove the bezel assembly. There are a bunch of them. Get a tool like the one in the video or find a watchmaker who has one. Anything else is a waste of time. And how do I know that? Because I've been there and done that. 😀

For anyone else who wondered, “What is the difference between a basic service by a competent watchmaker and a comprehensive service by OMEGA?” check out this excellent post by Archer.

(PS, if anyone knows a great watchmaker in Atlanta, please feel free to share. Several great watchmakers work at grays and don’t do service jobs, while others I know have moved away in recent years.)