Pulling the trigger for the first time: am I getting scammed?

Hi all,

after some weeks of research I'm close to buy my very first watch. It will be one I'm going to wear daily, or at least consistently. Now, before actually pulling the trigger, I'd love to get an opinion from you all. Just to understand if I'm getting scammed or wasting money.

It's a 14381 ref from '61, caliber 551. How the watch looks to my newbie eyes:
- the dial should be original and I don't see things raising suspicion that it could be a redial (?)
- case looks good, with reasonably sharp angles
- the hour and minute hands match the dial, hence they should be the original ones
- I asked for a higher definition pic detailing the second hand: I don't understand if it's flat on the center as it's supposed to be (?)
- I asked for a higher definition pic of the caliber
- the crown might be the original one
- the bracalet is an original Omega 1037 / 570.
- it's a professional watch dealer and claimed they serviced it, and it comes with 12 months warranty.

Asking price is 1100€. I'm not looking to get the best deal of my life, but obviously it would be great if I'm paying a reasonable price. What do you guys think?

It’s just not worth the money as the dial condition is too rough, it’s not a matter of anyone scamming you it’s just an overpriced watch for the condition

"Am I getting scammed?" seems like an attempt at click-bait. No, you're not getting scammed. But that is not a 1100 Euro watch, IMO. The dial is tired and unattractive and the case is worn and pitted. Not an easy watch to sell.

Agreed with the other posts. I believe that the crown is also incorrect.

Unless they drop the price, I'd keep looking. Great that you are taking your time and doing the research!

Thank you guys. I'll keep searching and doing the homework then. On the basis of your opinions, it seems that most of you think the dial is too old and badly maintained. I personally thought it has a nice uniform patina. I'll pay more attention to this detail in the next ones.

Here’s what a good patina on a 14381 should look like.
upload_2024-6-4_8-46-43.jpeg

Here’s what a good patina on a 14381 should look like.
upload_2024-6-4_8-46-43.jpeg

It's probably blasphemy, but I don't see a huge difference on the patina!

60s Constellations tend to be better on average, water resistance improved a fair bit in the late 50s

Zoom in on the photo of yours and you’ll see quite a bit of heavy spotting and general discoloration in the area between and to the left of the two o’clock and four o’clock markers.

@gianluomega
whilst the price might be tempting, the watch case is only 'ok' with significant pitting on the rear and the dial is probably worse than it appears in the blurry photo (it isn't evenly patinated and looks to have water mark style damage.)
The crown is a definite replacement, the correct crown is either decagonal or thin scallop crown.

Obviously, it's up to you but you may regret getting a watch that you feel less happy about later.

BTW, the is how that watch dial started off life...

IMG_1595.jpg

Thank you guys. You all have been very helpful and I definitely learned something more. I'll skip this one and wait for a better opportunity then.

I agree that the dial is not an attractive element in the watch. But considering the fairly good condition of the movement and tired but standing case plus the bracelet, I'm not sure if it's too overpriced in today's prices for a Connie, no? I wouldn't be surprised to see a full package (with pristine dial + correct crown and the rest same as-is) being priced way more than €1,100, maybe €1,300-1,500?

I agree that the dial is not an attractive element in the watch. But considering the fairly good condition of the movement and tired but standing case plus the bracelet, I'm not sure if it's too overpriced in today's prices for a Connie, no? I wouldn't be surprised to see a full package (with pristine dial + correct crown and the rest same as-is) being priced way more than €1,100, maybe €1,300-1,500?
I would rather pay more for a better one, the OP watch is just not appealing. I don't usually buy a watch for the movement and the bracelet. If your budget is 1100, buy one without a bracelet, or buy a Seamaster.