Forums Latest Members

Am I getting scammed on this watch? Picture of movements

1. Adamh Dec 11, 2017

• 2102-1127-11 (blancpain lemans)
    Blancpain Caliber 951, composed of 175 components & 21 Jewels

When I take a picture from the internet regarding what the movement should look like, it looks like this.

When I compare it to the picture provided by the seller, it looks like this.

Does it look like I've been scammed?

IMG_3138.PNG IMG_3139.PNG
  2. Adamh Dec 11, 2017

Granted it's an old watch, whereas the picture of the movement is new.

3. trackpad Dec 11, 2017

What exactly do you see that looks discordant or troubling to you? We’re comparing two fairly low resolution images, granted, but the movements seem identical to my eye, and equally well finished. The weird gold hue on the rotor is just a reflection, and in keeping with the generally poor quality of the image.

If anything troubled me it would be the collar or movement spacer ring (is there a better name for this part?) – the outermost ring that secures the movement in the case. It does not look to be finished at the same level as the movement, and certainly doesn’t compare to the ring in the first photo. But this might be because the same movement is being shown cased in two different models.

The seal of the case also looks pretty degraded, but I don’t know anything about the age of the watch – or if it’s being sold as “recently serviced”. If so, a seal in this condition might beg to differ with that claim.

As always, buy the seller and go with your gut. An honest and reputable seller will never bristle or break off a deal after being asked for a higher resolution photo. But if you have other reasons to distrust the seller, and it sounds like you might, cut your losses and don’t go forward.

“Buy the seller” is so widely used around here it has become a cliche, ...but it’s a really useful one.

Adamh likes this.
  4. Adamh Dec 12, 2017

The seller has been helpful and honest. The return policy is strong. I was put-off by the number of sites that offer replica watches (purportedly with replicate
    movements included) on the internet. Being a novice, the discoloration of the rotor did indeed throw me off. It's a watch for my wife, and I'd be mortified to hand her a fake. Thanks for your input.

Edited Dec 12, 2017
  5. trackpad Dec 12, 2017

Well. You’re right, it’s not impossible. A google image search of “fake blancpain movement” will confirm the same. I sort of foolishly assumed this brand was a little too niche to be worth the effort. Apparently not. Higher resolution photos would be important to me here.

And to reiterate, the movement ring and caseback seal are two points that require further research IMO.

Not second guessing your instincts, but it is worth remembering most scammers seem totally honest and are also super helpful, and will have the best return policies, naturally. ;)

But if it’s from a known seller with a good reputation, or a real business with an actual address, I think you can be more inclined to go with your gut.

Oh, another thing a good seller will never blink at if you ask for them: References,...which should also be cross checked to confirm identities.

Good luck with it.

Adamh likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2017

The case back seal has turned to black goop, so at the very least this will require a full service. Keep in mind that Swatch group does not sell parts for this brand, so if it requires parts it will have to go to Swatch for service, and that won't be cheap.

Adamh likes this.
  7. Adamh Dec 14, 2017

Received it. I'll take it to tourneau for servicing/inspection later. Will get refund if it's a replica.

Amazed at how dramatically the light changes the look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit concerned about the custard lume, most I see are green (superluminova?)
    Older piece though

Also concerned about "steel" on caseback.

[​IMG]

I threw it on a hirsch strap, but the original bracelet seems legitimate (screw in pins), signed appropriately, nice quality feel to it.

8. SwissZ Dec 14, 2017

The "steel" should not be where it is (should be much smaller and positioned on the lug)

Sorry this watch doesn't look OK to me.

Adamh likes this.
  9. Adamh Dec 14, 2017

Good point. One caveat may be that this is a 29mm case, which has the propensity to make inscriptions look larger than they are. Nevertheless, I've never seen that particular inscription on a caseback on this model. It's always on the underside of the lug.
    Blancpain instructed me to go to Christies in order to authenticate it without risking confiscation. If it does turn out to be fake, the refund will come in handy for a replacement.

IMG_3250.PNG
    Edited Dec 14, 2017
  10. SwissZ Dec 14, 2017

I wouldn't rely just on Christies. They won't have access to Blancpain's register of stolen watches for example.

The SN inscriptions is also a little bit different. Does it come with Blancpain paperwork?

If I were you I would check with Blancpain even if there is a risk of getting it confiscated, it won't be your problem, but the dealer who sold it to you.