Prototype Ploprof at Antiquorum

An interesting Omega Ploprof is being offered for sale at the next Antiquorum sale in Geneva. It is a prototype given to one of Jaques Cousteau's team for feedback on the watches performance. It comes with a 'Life Book' in which to record the details of what types of dives the watch has been used for, depth temperature and any problems or notes about problems encountered. It also has a letter from Omega sent with the watch explaining its functions. It should attract healthy bidding. I see it sold last year at a French auction house for €71,500. It will be interesting to see if it can reach such heights again.

https://catalog.antiquorum.swiss/en...ster-ploprof-prototype-lot-333-59?page=1&q=59

59.jpg 59_2.jpg 59_3.jpg 59_4.jpg 59_5.jpg 59_6.jpg

Always thought it was an interesting watch, just would never wear in street clothes... but, that's me. Interesting auction too with dive records. I wonder what caused the damage to the crystal and bezel insert... a rock, or a shark ( the shark would be a much cooler story). Let's see what it brings.

It's worth nearly that simply for being an actual prototype in a forest of imposters! 😁

It's worth nearly that simply for being an actual prototype in a forest of imposters! 😁

Well I have selflessly shared it with absolutely no intension of highlighting what a bargain my sales listing for an SM1000 prototype is 😀

It appears the movement has been replaced, which I expect is the reason it was not a successful sale last year and is up for auction again.

Shame but still a great watch with unparalleled provenance.

It appears the movement has been replaced, which I expect is the reason it was not a successful sale last year and is up for auction again.

For me I would be more turned off over case refinishing than the dime-a-dozen movement swap.

Why do you say the movement was exchanged ?

Also, it apparently sold at Tajan last year.....or maybe another auction house trick ?

Why do you say the movement was exchanged ?

Also, it apparently sold at Tajan last year.....or maybe another auction house trick ?

Do you have more details of the Tajan sale? I saw it in Leclere where it was listed with an estimate of €55,000-€65,000 and reports a sale at €71,500

The auction description with Antiquorum states the movement was delivered separately. It has indeed been replaced according to Omega, so no extract can be provided.

IMG_4454.jpg

Fantastic provenance! It is a shame regarding the movement...

Oh I did not know what they meany by "movement delivered separately". A strange way to say "service movement". But it is a very early serial, so period correct.

I examined the watch in Leclere in Marseille several years ago and wanted to bid on it, but it was sold immediately to someone on the phone for 30k. lose watch.

Then for sale again a few months later by Leclere in Monaco....but this time with the logbook. I called them and they said it was sold.

Then for sale again last year by Tajan in Paris. Sold again....

And now AQ is giving it a chance ???

yes....but did it really sell this time ? Or will it be back again for sale by AQ next year ?

Apparently it was bought by the Omega Museum, so a real buyer this time. Congrats to them.