Forums Latest Members

Proto-Seamaster chronometre ?1948/9 - views, please...

1. TimeODanaos Nov 6, 2019

Grateful please for opinions on this, please. (Apologies for odd picture, but the key pixels are all there somewheres. If it's thought worth pursuing, I'm sure I can get more and better!) At first sight, this looks like the precursor to the first Seamaster. Are the dial, hands and case OK? What is the greenish stuff around the center of the dial and sub-dial? So many questions, sorry.
    ::book::Obviously, I would need to get under the hood before pawning any of Mrs Tim's Christmas presents, but does it look worthwhile proceeding to Defcon 4?
    Thanks right away to anyone commenting! :thumbsup:
    Chronometre-dial TEMP.jpg

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 6, 2019

Maybe oil at the hands? Some lume missing, some in big gobs. Lume on hands seems newish. SWISS or SWISS MADE not visible. Amazingly sharp-looking facets on the crown. Some hour markers not aligned with the minute track. Degradation on the dial face.
    ...I sure as heck would want to see more photos before considering buying this. Some that show the lugs and caseback, and a higer-rez photo or two of the dial. And of the movement and inside of the case if possible.

What is the asking price?

Benbradstock and TimeODanaos like this.
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 6, 2019

In my experience the most common among the cal. 343 versions. Dial is original possibly with the markers relumed. The marker lume uncertainty wouldn’t keep me from buying the watch if I were in the market.

Benbradstock and TimeODanaos like this.
  4. TimeODanaos Nov 7, 2019

5. TimeODanaos Nov 7, 2019

Thanks for that, really helpful. I'm asking the seller to get some serious pictures, after which we can start to mention money. Most of this I could maybe live with, including (correct) replaced crown. But... there's patina and then there's gunk. :thumbsdown:
    Am I right though that cal 343 is pretty uncommon and should be captured where possible?

6. Snowman Nov 9, 2019

Hi,
    I think I recognise this particular piece and I believe i enquired about it a few weeks back the seller told me it had been sold several months
    Back and he’d been very busy and had not got around to updating his website
    I have purchased from him the previous year and was very satisfied with the purchase

Benbradstock likes this.
  7. TimeODanaos Nov 9, 2019

Thanks for that, it's helpful. The guy hasn't got back to me so I may (but may not) chase it this weekend. I'm getting more iffy about the dial condition; but on t'other hand, how many cal 343s are there left out there? Maybe I need to go walk the dog...

8. Snowman Nov 9, 2019

Hi,
    It’s a good point on the availability of the 343 chronometers ,personally I didn’t think the dial was in that bad a condition,it may be the case that the piece is being resold by the original purchaser

9. TimeODanaos Nov 9, 2019

Hmmm, tempting... I may need to let you and Mrs Tim (my CFO) arm-wrestle three rounds while I wait outside and go with the majority decision! ;)

10. TimeODanaos Nov 11, 2019

Well well well... I just got the same story! :unsure: Obvs, it may not be the same guy - but this could well be the previous purchaser, re-selling like you say. Ah well, never mind, eyes out for the next one! It's always nice to know sometimes we're treading the same paths as others have trod. :thumbsup:

11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 12, 2019

Hi

Yup 343 is uncommon .....

Good hunting

bill