Problems with a ladies Omega DeVille watch.

The invoice for £370 for the crown replacement gives a reference number 082060. No idea if that is the watch reference number or a repair number.

Would be 3 numbers . and 3 after No 0 at front - In order to search on the model. Need the reference number

The reference number will most likely be 595.NNNN (N=number).
Possibly 595.0099.

Looks like I don't have the reference number then! I'll have to take it somewhere to have the back removed and then find out what it is.

Reference number as Jim mentioned - 595.0099

One on Ebay. No sold models. Some ask high and some low based on similar designs

Maybe ask the wife if she would like something new. Sometimes repairing older watches just isn't worth the time and money

I find it odd that the Omega-trained technician who inspected the watch recently has stated that the wrong crown was fitted 3 years ago by an Omega dealer. I would hope to get some clarification on whether his statement is correct, and if it is, how this mistake could have happened.

Regarding

I don’t think we can provide any clarification on this over the internet. You should probably ask the people who did the previous repair.

Also, when a repair person tells you that the watch experienced water intrusion and a hard fall, they probably have a reason to draw those conclusions. I’m sure your wife feels that she is careful with her watch, but all it takes is one careless moment or an accident. It happens to everyone.

Reference number as Jim mentioned - 595.0099

One on Ebay. No sold models. Some ask high and some low based on similar designs

Maybe ask the wife if she would like something new. Sometimes repairing older watches just isn't worth the time and money
Thanks for the info. and advice. Definitely food for thought.
I've resent my message to Joe and it hasn't bounced back this time, so I'll see what he says and consider my options.

I don’t think we can provide any clarification on this over the internet. You should probably ask the people who did the previous repair.

Also, when a repair person tells you that the watch experienced water intrusion and a hard fall, they probably have a reason to draw those conclusions. I’m sure your wife feels that she is careful with her watch, but all it takes is one careless moment or an accident. It happens to everyone.
True...

Not knowledgeable about Omegas, but I can attest as a lady there are many things a cautious and careful lady can do to a watch without realizing its potential for harm, such as:

1/ spraying perfume on wrist (which can be done on a daily basis) while wearing watch;
2/ applying handcream while she’s wearing her watch.

Both those daily activities are hazardous to a watch (with risk of ingress through crown) if the watch is used and no longer water resistant.
If the change of the crown was not done properly, again risk factor.

As for the crown change, I would expect cost of no more than 50 euros incl parts and labor from a good independent in my country—
good Omega certified watchmakers in the UK have been recommended on the forum.

Not knowledgeable about Omegas, but I can attest as a lady there are many things a cautious and careful lady can do to a watch without realizing its potential for harm, such as:

1/ spraying perfume on wrist (which can be done on a daily basis) while wearing watch;
2/ applying handcream while she’s wearing her watch.

Both those daily activities are hazardous to a watch (with risk of ingress through crown) if the watch is used and no longer water resistant.
If the change of the crown was not done properly, again risk factor.

As for the crown change, I would expect cost of no more than 50 euros incl parts and labor from a good independent in my country—
good Omega certified watchmakers in the UK have been recommended on the forum.
Thank you. This information just reinforces the general opinion on this thread that I was ripped off taking the watch to an Omega dealer for repair, which is extremely disappointing, given that that is exactly what most people would do, without the support and advice from a forum such as this...

Well my perception of what a crown change should cost does not take into account the potential rarity and cost of a correct Omega crown for this watch- as I don’t know anything about Omega.

But the good news is that your experience with the dealer has led you to seek out useful info.