Forums Latest Members

Private sales...member comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2018

Really. You have options, PM or contact a Mod. You are not here as sales police. I have seen simple sales of watches destroyed by squabbling groups of opinionated nabobs, very often that are totally wrong. We have to draw lines.
    Once a significant issue is brought to Mods, we discuss its merits and take what action we deem necessary. Remember this is not a democracy.

sollman, Rochete, wagudc and 8 others like this.
  2. sgrossma Mar 15, 2018

I personally don't like members being able to comment on posts, good or bad. It's fine if a separate discussion thread is started, but I think comments in-thread takes away from the sales post. After all, we aren't allowed to go into stores and stick post-it notes with personal comments onto any old goods for sale! :)

Rochete, frederico and cicindela like this.
  3. dan7800 Mar 15, 2018

I actually enjoy the ability to comment. As a newb, reading the comments not only educates me about the watch; but also educates me in general.

However, there are obviously many many cases where comments are not constructive to say the least.

sollman and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  4. ewand Mar 15, 2018

Hear, Hear. Given the political upheavals happening all over the world at the moment, I'm all for a benign dictatorship.
    ALL HAIL THE MODS!

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 15, 2018

Must admit @Tony C. over the years I have bought several issues to the mods attention and due course has been swift and favourable to perspective buyers as items have been removed or changed to reflect said issue.

Faz likes this.
  6. Canuck Mar 15, 2018

I guess I stepped over the line a few months back when I posted a reply to a watch for sale post. The watch had a sub second hand, but the movement shot showed a movement that had been made as a sweep seconds model, with all the sweep seconds hand components missing! I commented on it. After the you know what hit the fan, it appears as though the watch was withdrawn. Should I have kept my mouth shut? Had the subject watch been offered for sale on eBay, I am certain there would have been a flurry of reports as to its deficiencies.

robinhook, Foo2rama, Kmart and 3 others like this.
  7. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 15, 2018

I believe any negative comments are welcome as long as they are constructive and expressed in a polite manner.

It can be that the seller is not aware of something so having those comments can prevent after-sale discussions / hassle / refunds etc...

robinhook, Foo2rama, sdre and 2 others like this.
  8. Canuck Mar 15, 2018

It would have been hard to offer constructive comments for the particular watch. Perhaps I should have said, “exquisite, rare watch, all original, in excellent running order, fairly priced. But missing sweep drive wheel, missing centre sweep seconds pinion, pinion cock, tension spring, watch movement modified to fit a sub seconds hand, dial not original.” I should’a kept my mouth shut.

9. mr_yossarian Mar 15, 2018

That is a constructive comment in this case. When obviously so much is wrong and someone notices that..I'd say the comment - or question asked - is absolutely letigimate.
    I don't think this sort of case is the subject here.

robinhook and BenBagbag like this.
  10. M'Bob Mar 15, 2018

Herein lies the rub: if flaws are only pointed out through PM, than a significant educational component is lost on the forum. As Kov says, I can't see a problem when this is expressed politely...but I ain't the boss.

robinhook, nerd, airansun and 6 others like this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 15, 2018

I think the most important thing is that the private sales forum remains a safe place to buy - which is often repeated on the relevant fora.
    (Safe being relative - price is the prerogative of the seller and choice of the buyer)

A polite PM is the way to go if something is amiss or misdescribed. (I’ve done it in the past and been pleased to see the listing amended)

As for the friends thing, I don’t know how much it actually happens but I wouldn’t offer a GLWS or even a ‘like’ if it wasn’t a watch I would consider buying myself - and that would include condition and price.

12. dan7800 Mar 15, 2018

I really enjoy the FS section and the mods in general do a fantastic job, so I am not meaning to bash anyone at all.

My wishes for the FS section

1) Somehow force people to play by the rules. Mark things sold in the header when they're sold. 1 "bump" per day in private. Don't delete listing after being sold etc.... These are good rules and are often enforced, but the mods are obviously fighting an uphill battle.
    2) Ban the use of the word "Rare"

13. ewand Mar 15, 2018

True, but then eBay is a hotbed of charlatans and vagabonds. We have higher standards on here.
    Agreed... I like to feel there's an element of trust in the sales forum here; if something is amiss then it's an honest mistake which I would expect to be swiftly rectified. If there's anything ropey about a watch and PMs don't get a suitable response from the seller, then let the Mods intervene.

And if the Mods think there's deliberate intent to deceive in selling something shonky and/or not being swift to withdraw or correct, then it's time to take further action.

[​IMG]

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2018

No, you should have PM'd the seller and/ copied the MODs with the issue. A MOD would have confronted the offender and corrected the situation.
    In situations like that we have had the seller pull their ad or we have done it. Other actions that the MODs can take are to suspend selling privileges and ban sellers.
    When sales violations occur such as two private ads in one day or too many bumps we delete their last ad.
    Some members are very diligent in reporting violations (Thanks Guys).

We don't just sit around gathering acorns all day.

15. M'Bob Mar 15, 2018

What about Dennis?

16. ulackfocus Mar 15, 2018

Be careful not to bite your tongue while it's planted so firmly in your cheek. :p

Speak for yourself! ;)

Syrte, Garv, noelekal and 1 other person like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2018

FWIW the few times that I have PM'd a member selling something to point out a flaw in the advert, they were all thankful for the PM and quickly corrected the advert.

Kmart, RawArcher, Syrte and 7 others like this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2018

That's his job and besides he is a Mod emeritus

19. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 15, 2018

There is an option available to make sure inaccuracy is picked up. The last line of the comment made by @cicindela read; "Remember , it costs you nothing to contact a moderator and express your concerns."

20. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 15, 2018

I've been doing that for years mate! Yeah... granted... eventually they ask you to leave the shop???::confused2::

Edward53, Aussie Jim, kkt and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.