Pressure testing and gaskets

I understand all the suggestions about pressure testing your watches every year or so. I agree with everyone, although I haven’t kept up with it. My question is, can they replace the gaskets without doing anything else to the watch? Meaning, is it a simple thing that can be done while someone waits? I live in a small town, and it’s hours to the closest Omega or Rolex AD. Not sure about any independents, but I imagine a similar drive. I don't have a problem driving to do something proactive that will prevent a leak. I don’t dive with any of my watches, but I live on a lake and am in the water with them all summer. Wear them pretty hard the rest of the time.

Or does it work like this? Pressure test pass, and you're good to go for another year. Pressure test fail, and then replace gaskets as well as a service?

It depends on the age of the watch. My watchmaker, for example, is reluctant to pressure test a (WatchCo) Seamaster 300 because of the acrylic crystal.

But any watch with a glass crystal? If you make an appointment, they can generally take care of you, and no, you ought not need a full service, but some watchmakers won't. Costs you nothing to ask.

These are modern watches. Submariner, Diver 300M, and Planet Ocean. Sorry to not totally understand your post SkinkPrice, but what would I be asking for? A pressure test, or gasket replacement?

I think what I was trying to ask in my original question is, are gaskets replaced proactively, and is it a simple process? I'm probably not understanding the comments along the lines of "service your watch every 5-10 years, but pressure test every year." What happens if the pressure test fails? Simple gasket replacement, or is that a much more involved process?

I send a watch to get pressure tested and caseback and stem seals changed every two years on a dive watch that gets used for diving.

$175 ($190 last time) and a full service would be $650 when it’s due.
Gets mailed to a watchmaker on the east coast that does a lot of work for Great Barrier Reef divers and is well regarded in dive watch communities.

Make sure you let your watchmaker know what you want.

I have never asked my watchmaker to do a pressure test on a dive watch separate from doing some work that would involve opening the watch. Obviously it would be trivial to do a dry test on the watch without doing any other work, but that's really not a thorough test. I wonder if a watchmaker would be comfortable performing a full pressure test on a stranger's intact watch with no known history. What if water went into the watch during the test? I suspect that most good watchmakers would suggest a gasket change and full pressure test. I have typically paid $100-$150 for this.

These are modern watches. Submariner, Diver 300M, and Planet Ocean. Sorry to not totally understand your post SkinkPrice, but what would I be asking for? A pressure test, or gasket replacement?

I think what I was trying to ask in my original question is, are gaskets replaced proactively, and is it a simple process? I'm probably not understanding the comments along the lines of "service your watch every 5-10 years, but pressure test every year." What happens if the pressure test fails? Simple gasket replacement, or is that a much more involved process?

The main problem is that as soon as your watchmaker of choice opens up the watch, they own it.
It's a much safer option for any reputable watchmaker to fully service the watch in order for them to be able to confidently offer a warranty they can stand behind.
Also, too many things can go wrong with the watch whilst in your custody between when they work on it and when it may need a service next or a repair.
Something to take into further consideration.
An official service centre can offer up to a 2 year service warranty where as an independent can basically only cover their workmanship for 1 year. There are legitimate commercial reasons for this that they have to factor in and we need to be respectful of;)

Thanks for the info Duckie. Although, now I'm confused again. I'm really not trying to be dumb, but here goes. There are a lot of people who ask when to service a watch on this forum. Lots of different responses, but one part always seems to be "service when (insert idea here), but at least pressure test once every 1-2 years because the gaskets wear out."

Based on a couple responses the dry test might not be enough, but some watchmakers might be afraid to do a wet test and to fully service instead. So, does that mean a full service every 1-2 years to make sure the gaskets are OK? I know that's not what is meant. What am I not getting here? What is this pressure test every 1-2 years, and what happens if the watch fails? Or a better question, what should I do right now to make sure my 2 year old Planet Ocean is safe to swim with?

what should I do right now to make sure my 2 year old Planet Ocean is safe to swim with?
Screenshot_20220918-131131~2.png

A pressure test, no matter the type of test done, is just a snapshot in time. It doesn't replace regular maintenance, and changing of seals, but it is a bit of insurance to tell you the right now, in this moment, the watch has water resistance. What it won't tell you is if that water resistance will be good a year, a month, or a week from now.

So as long as you understand what the test does and doesn't tell you, you can then decide for yourself what you need to do to meet your comfort level.

I have never asked my watchmaker to do a pressure test on a dive watch separate from doing some work that would involve opening the watch. Obviously it would be trivial to do a dry test on the watch without doing any other work, but that's really not a thorough test. I wonder if a watchmaker would be comfortable performing a full pressure test on a stranger's intact watch with no known history. What if water went into the watch during the test? I suspect that most good watchmakers would suggest a gasket change and full pressure test. I have typically paid $100-$150 for this.

The dry pressure test is fine for 99.9% of applications, so unless you regularly go to 100m or deeper, it will be plenty thorough enough. It is incredibly rare that a watch that passes the dry test, fails the wet test. When that does happen, it is being tested at 125% of the watch's rated depth, so on a 300m rated watch, that is 375 meters depth (pressure equivalent of course). A depth that is far beyond what anyone here will take their watches to, unless they lose it off the side of a boat in deep water...

I would not perform a high pressure wet test on a watch that I hadn't already changed the seals on, so yes that sort of test is going to be much more involved than a pressure test, which just takes a couple of minutes.

Thanks for the info Duckie. Although, now I'm confused again. I'm really not trying to be dumb, but here goes. There are a lot of people who ask when to service a watch on this forum. Lots of different responses, but one part always seems to be "service when (insert idea here), but at least pressure test once every 1-2 years because the gaskets wear out."

Based on a couple responses the dry test might not be enough, but some watchmakers might be afraid to do a wet test and to fully service instead. So, does that mean a full service every 1-2 years to make sure the gaskets are OK? I know that's not what is meant. What am I not getting here? What is this pressure test every 1-2 years, and what happens if the watch fails? Or a better question, what should I do right now to make sure my 2 year old Planet Ocean is safe to swim with?

I think I already explained. A watchmaker doesn't have to service the watch to run a full pressure test. But they may want to remove the movement, replace the seals, and run the pressure test on the case. Or you could just have the watchmaker do the dry test, and go with that. At least you will know that nothing catastrophic has happened over the last year.

The dry pressure test is fine for 99.9% of applications, so unless you regularly go to 100m or deeper, it will be plenty thorough enough. It is incredibly rare that a watch that passes the dry test, fails the wet test. When that does happen, it is being tested at 125% of the watch's rated depth, so on a 300m rated watch, that is 375 meters depth (pressure equivalent of course). A depth that is far beyond what anyone here will take their watches to, unless they lose it off the side of a boat in deep water...

I would not perform a high pressure wet test on a watch that I hadn't already changed the seals on, so yes that sort of test is going to be much more involved than a pressure test, which just takes a couple of minutes.

And there it is. Question answered.

So basically if you swim a lot with a watch…(like I do nearly every day) and dive with the watch also.
You can get someone to change the seals every 2 years. And service every 6 years (3rd seal and pressure test)
Watchmakers do this and don’t mind. (Not all,,, but if your paying and find one that will)

As mentioned my guy is well versed in what I want and has been doing it for many years and I pay him accordingly. (He is not the same guy I send a Speedmaster to for a service)

Would I expect a watch that I dive with and wear in water daily to last 5-6 years without doing the above between services …..Hell NO

And it’s a 1000m Diver
A1A62B9C-493B-4411-9531-B6E9109282CE.jpeg