Forums Latest Members
  1. Speedy2254 Oct 28, 2019

My 2254 has just been serviced, the service report says it's passed a pressure test to 6 bar, which I understand to equate to 60m.
    The 2254 is supposed to be WR to 300m or 30 bar. My question is, do I need to get a full test done given that I don't dive with it?
    If I do need a full test can anyone recommend somewhere suitable in the London / South East area and give an indication of cost?

Many Thanks,

2. Claven2 Oct 28, 2019

1) if you don't dive with it, when do you plan to have more than 60m hydraulic head pressure on the watch?

2) Who serviced it? When the Omega SC tested my SMPc last week, they only tested to 3 bar. From that, they seem to infer it's working as intended.

My understanding of the design is that more pressure helps seal the watch, not the reverse. But I'm sure a watchmaker will soon chime in.

Speedy2254 likes this.
  3. Blackdog Oct 29, 2019

Who serviced it ?
    The Omega SC should have tested it to the rated pressure, i.e. 30bar.

That said, the 30bar WR is courtesy of the design of the watch. Once pressure begins to escalate, deformation of the parts (case back, crystal to some degree) is what will compromise the sealing. Once the design has been qualified, a test to say 10bar is usually enough to guarantee that the seals are not compromised, and the watch is very likely OK for the higher pressures too.

Speedy2254 likes this.
  4. Speedy2254 Oct 29, 2019

It was done by an independent, his report says that the test was successful at 6 bar, which was the limit of his pressure tester. My inner completionist says it ought to be done to 30 bar but I'm never going to go diving in it so does it really make much difference other than completionism?

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 29, 2019

So did he charge you for a pressure test, because he only did less than half a job...:whistling:

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 29, 2019

Do you know what type of tester he used? Did you get a printout of the results?

7. Speedy2254 Oct 29, 2019

I don't know what kind of machine it was, only that 6 bar was its maximum. I have a report summary of the work done, but it's at home & I'm at work. I'll check & report back.
    The test was included in the service but I assumed it'd be a full test (ie to 30 bar).

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 29, 2019

It should be a slip of paper like this:

IMG_2151.JPG

This is a printout from a dry testing machine. My gut tells me that if the machine he has only goes to 6 bar, and he didn't give you a printout, he's probably using an older technology machine like this:

BG5555-98.jpg

This has a max. pressure of 6 bar...

If the watch was being fully tested to Omega specs, it would have been tested in a dry pressure testing machine using both vacuum and pressure (-0.7 bar and +10 bar respectively) and then placed in a high pressure wet testing machine, and tested to 125% of the rated pressure, so in this case 37.5 bar or approx. 375 meters.

The full procedure on a different watch is outlined in this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/pressure-testing-a-watchco-sm300.45375/

Note that this equipment costs a good deal of money, so not every independent shop will have it, but if they are certified by Omega it is required equipment. Just to give a sense of costs, the Bergeon tester that goes to 6 bar costs about $800 US or so. The combined cost of the dry tester and high pressure wet testing equipment I use is 10+ times that number.

This is why you need to have a full discussion of the scope of work before you hand the watch over. Not all service is done to the same level, so understanding what the shop is actually going to do is important.

Cheers, Al

Duckie, gpssti4, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  9. Speedy2254 Oct 29, 2019

Thanks Al. I received a sheet of A4 with a breakdown of parts replaced, work done, TimeGraph results etc. There wasn't anything like you showed me but those results could be in the overall sheet, I'll check.
    Is a full test expensive (I'm in the UK)?

10. Speedy2254 Oct 30, 2019

@Archer
    I checked the report, the figures I was thinking of were timing results, there's nothing about the test other than "Pressure tested to 6 bar. Guaranteed 12 months provided caseback has not been removed".

11. Deafcon Omega Qualified Nov 1, 2019

I have both the Bergeron 6 bar max tester and the Litiz 125 bar tester. I also have the warmer you use as part of the 125 psi test. I haven’t used the 125 tester yet. I’m going to a casing class soon that will get into that stuff.
    Joe
    5F37F2DB-9991-44B9-A55B-BC6249CE2A47.jpeg

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 2, 2019

Can you state which watchmaker you used, that will help us to advise you. It wouldn’t bother me too much if the price was right, but even some of the the cheapest reputable guys in the UK can test deeper than 6 bar, that seems unusually shallow.

You may be able to get a pressure check at a boutique, I think a couple of the London ones have an on site watchmaker. Bond st is one from memory.

Speedy2254 likes this.
  13. Speedy2254 Nov 2, 2019

I had it done by a member of the TZ-UK forum I'm not sure if it is OK to use his name but he's got a solid rep He's based in Yorkshire if that's a clue.
    Thanks for the tip about boutiques I'll give them a ring next week when I'm in London

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 2, 2019

I am sure it is fine to name him, there is no forum rule against doing so. I am guessing you mean Paul. He does good work but isn’t AFAIK a full time watchmaker. Yes try a boutique for a pressure test.

Speedy2254 likes this.
  15. Speedy2254 Nov 2, 2019

Padders
    Yes, it was Paul . I'm very pleased with his work I just didn't know if he'd be happy with me using his name.
    I'll try a boutique for the test.