Preservation/restoration thoughts please

I hope this is the correct sub-forum for this question! I took my father's dress watch out today to give it some "exercise" and thought I'd ask some advice about it. I gave the watch, a Haste triple date chronograph with a Valjoux 72c a close look for the first time in many years and noticed several cosmetic condition issues. In addition to the cosmetics, I am wondering if I should go through the expense and effort to have it serviced even though all functions work well. First the service quandary arises from the knowledge that the watch hasn't been serviced in at least thirty years and may never have been opened since new. I wear the watch once or twice a year and I don't know how often he wore it in his lifetime. Should I have it lubed etc. if it gets so little wear? I know that watchmakers and parts are getting rarer with every passing year so that is a consideration. As for the cosmetics the plating on the case is worn on the lugs and is the base metal is visible which bothers me a little. The dial is in relatively good condition considering the age I think but I did notice that the paint of a couple numerals is flaking and is floating under the crystal. Are either of these conditions fixable? I know that "redials" affect value but would judicious touch up be a redial? Can cases be re-pated/restored? The watch will likely remain in the family as my son likes watches as well so value isn't the main consideration it is really a matter of preservation for future generations and wearability long term. As always thank you for input! 20231121_131418.jpg 20231121_131316.jpg 20231121_131331.jpg 20231121_131343.jpg 20231121_131400.jpg

Service is probably overdue. One would not run an auto without maintenance.

Case repair/plating is pretty easy for most jewlers.

Dial restoration is next to impossible. Basically one needs to make all new printing dies, so there is not much point in it. The ink is held on by thin lacquer, not unlike a decal. There may be ways to stabilize things. Any attempts to use any sort of chemical on the dial risks damage. The manufacturing process is not unlike the way currency is printed. Best to leave the dial untouched and keep the watch stored in a dry environment with plenty of desiccant.

Nice watch. I have a basket case what I work on off and on. Parts for these are pricey, somewhat available as they can be made with standard equipment. So NOS parts show up frequently. Back in the day student masters were expected to make similar watches. The Val-23/72 is pure textbook. Millions of these have been made so there is a fair amount of parts in the system. 'R' Used this watch caliber so there are incentives to keep spares around, even if they fetch a higher premium. There are people who do collect the old manufacturing equipment and do make short runs of parts with it.

I suggest that it is a nice vintage watch just as it is. Any restoration (other than light cleaning of the case, and a basic service) changes its state to something else.

I don’t think the condition is bad enough to consider replating or repainting. I would just preserve it in its current state.

I don’t think the condition is bad enough to consider replating or repainting. I would just preserve it in its current state.
Thanks for weighing in Dan! I was hoping y for your advice. would preserving include, as lindo advised a basic service? while in if I do should I have the loose ink removed?

If you plan to wear it, a service would be a good idea. And the watchmaker can carefully remove loose debris. It’s a complicated watch so a service will not be inexpensive.

BTW, HASTE was a brand of the H.A. Steele company, which was based in Mexico.

Like I say I wear i once a year for a few hours out of deference to Dad. It will have to get in the que though. I will get an estimate from my jeweler who seems reasonable on the Omega autos he's had done for me (averaging $300 incl parts) with very quick turnaround. Does that sound ok for 50's-60's calendars?

These are the easiest chrono/calendar to service. Why they are so popular/expensive. Do get it serviced.