Forums Latest Members
  1. abueler996 May 18, 2020

Hello All!

I purchased this Seamaster 200m a couple weeks ago off ebay. Per some research it looks like it is a 1987/88 based on the mercedes hands. It has the 1441 movement. I do not know when it was last serviced but it runs well and everything functions. The only issue I am having is with the hour hand not aligning up directly on the hour. I can adjust it in the morning to be exact and it will be spot on all day, but the next morning it is a minute behind again. The only thing I can think is it has something to do with when the date changes over at midnight. Anyone have any thoughts or had/have a similar problem? I love the watch and its not a huge deal, but I does bother me a bit!

Thank you!

IMG_5022.JPG IMG_6944.JPG IMG_6945.JPG
    Edited May 18, 2020
  2. Charlemagne1333 May 19, 2020

It’s unlikely to have had a recent service given the amount of misalignment - looks to be about 14 minutes out. It needs to be within one minute for it to be acceptable. The date change will have no affect on hand alignment. Some date-change movements will cause the hour hand to jump forward slightly, but only at the point at which the date changes - there’s no consequence on the hand alignment. People have different tolerance levels when it comes to issues like this, but ultimately it’s just lazy watchmaking/servicing. A good watchmaker will service it and sort it out for you. They’ll also put the date misalignment right for you as well - doesn’t look central within the window to me

Have a good one

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 19, 2020

Your watch has a time zone feature, (position 1 on the crown) which jumps the hour hand in one hour increments.
    You should be able to tell exactly when the hour hand goes out of alignment by using this feature.

4. abueler996 May 19, 2020

Yes I know about the time zone feature and used that to set the time when the watch arrived. While it does jump one hour, I can also make small adjustments with it. So the past couple of mornings I have been able to set it right on the hour (the date will center in the window as well). I set it exact this morning at 8am (see pic). By 10pm its still all aligned, but in the morning at 6am the hour hand is slightly behind and the date is misaligned again. The hour increment position seems to be very finicky, sometime when I push the crown back in when I have the hand set it will jump back/forward a minute or two.

IMG_6946.JPG
  5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 19, 2020

Unfortunately your options are limited then. You could try to find an independent willing to have a look at it, which is unlikely, or send it to Omega in Bienne. Omega service centres are also required to return watches with the 1441 to Switzerland I believe.
    Neither option would be cost effective given the relatively low value of the watch.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2020

The Cal. 1441 can be serviced, as most parts for it are still available. The key is the circuit - if that is bad, you are out of luck, but if it's a mechanical issue it should not be a problem at all to get it fixed.

Omega would replace the movement with a 1538, provided you agreed to that - that is the policy.

Cheers, Al

7. abueler996 May 20, 2020

This morning it was exactly an hour behind. I manually wound it past midnight and sure enough the hour hand jumped back an hour.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 20, 2020

You probably need a new hour wheel...

ChrisN likes this.
  9. abueler996 May 20, 2020

Archer - Some internet research led me to the same conclusion.

10. AlphaToOmega Dec 2, 2020

I own the very same watch and wondered if, as well as there being parts available for the movement, whether there were bezel inserts still available? If so, can someone point me in the right direction?