Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster hour register alignment

1. Wozza May 21, 2019

Hi everyone

Just wanted to get some feedback on the hour register on the Speedster Professional (1861). I've had the watch just over a year and love it, almost a daily wearer, also I'm a reader on this forum so I know the expertise of other members. I will try to describe my issue, I have read other posts and know this is not uncommon but I believe I have discovered something that has not been mentioned previously (hence the fresh post).

I'm not suggesting this is a major issue but with a mild OCD it has annoyed me over the last 12 months.

If I run my chronograph for an hour, stop it and reset it, the hour register does not return to 12. It's close, I estimate about 1/120 or approximately 1/10 of the distance between 12 and 1 on the hour register. Pushing and holding the reset has no effect it stays slightly not aligned. The same is evidenced when timing each hour. The hand always passes the hour marker about 5 minutes before each 60 minute block has elapsed.

Now the strange thing is that if I run the chronograph for more than 6 hours, stop it and reset it, the hour register returns perfectly to 12 position.

In other words when the hour hand resets anti-clockwise (less than 6 hours) it is not aligned. When it is reset after 6 hour (resets clockwise) it is perfectly aligned.

So the easy fix for me is whenever I use the chronograph I put up with the mis-alignment but when I go to bed I start the chronograph and then reset it it in the morning. Provided I slept more than 6 but less than 12 hours everything is fine.

I'm not considering taking it in to Omega, it's under warranty, but will mention it when I get it serviced in the years to come.

My reason for posting is twofold:

i) This may be driving you crazy and the above information could help you.
    ii) One of the watchmakers may have an insight into this issue, in which case I will remember the comment and inform Omega of the possible problem when it gets serviced (probably in the next 2 to 3 years)

Has anyone else noticed this? I think you would have to have a similar OCD to even bother looking but I wonder if it is actually quite common.

Anyway, I thank you in advance if you read this and respond. I know the regulars and experts are super busy but appreciate if they could share their thoughts.

I enjoy the forum and although I joined only recently I've been reading as a non-member for a couple of years.

Regards

Mark

2. 77deluxe May 21, 2019

Mark - Welcome. And for better reference could you post a pic of the hour register reset position?